Another "please help me choose a gun" thread!

This is a discussion on Another "please help me choose a gun" thread! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry guys, but I had to do it. I'm interested in a CC gun, I'm currently in the process of getting my endorsement. First, a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another "please help me choose a gun" thread!

Another "please help me choose a gun" thread!

Sorry guys, but I had to do it. I'm interested in a CC gun, I'm currently in the process of getting my endorsement.

First, a little backstory. I delivered pizzas to pay my bills when I was in college, and I recently decided to get back into the "trade" a few nights each week to earn some extra bucks. Anyway, I've found that the store I used to work for (and the one I went back to) has picked up the delivery zones of another store which recently closed. Unfortunately these new zones are definately on the wrong side of town. Now I get to ride/walk around these areas displaying a giant sign that tells every local crackhead I have a bag full of food and a pocket full of cash, it makes me uncomfortable. I already have a G19 that I would just open carry, but OC is against company policy.

So you ask...why not CC the G19? Well I'm one of those guys that is not and will never be comfortable carrying a chambered firearm lacking a mechanical safety.

I like 9mm, and I'm definately not a wheelgun guy. Im looking for a pistol of comparable size and feel to the G19 (small enough to fit in a cargo pocket unoticed), and it MUST have a mechanical safety. Compactness, reliability, and accuracy are more important than capacity so I guess a single stacker is what I'm looking for. Any suggestions? Oh yea, keep it under $600 if you can.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Springfield XD sounds right up your alley... Same Glock-style operation (striker fired polymer pistol with trigger safety) but comes with a grip safety and optional thumb safety too. They're under $500 brand new and come with some gear.

I'm a 1911 guy so I have to throw in this one: See if you can find a Springfield EMP to handle. It's a micro-1911 in 9mm. I've heard great things about them (but haven't fondled one yet).

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Ditto the XD...I'm gagging at the thought of a primary weapon in 9mm when .45 is...oh never mind...XD for sure.
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

VIP Member
    Another vote for XD.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I just bought a Springfield Micro-compact 1911 in .45 for $630 used. If you get addicted to firearms like I recently did. You'll eventually want to try a 1911. Might as well be now :)

The XD would be the closest to what you have, I like 1911 but You would probably be more comfortable with the XD but I would suggest that you move up in caliber.

Another striker-fired 9mm pistol is the Ruger SR9.

-JT

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    XD or any compact 1911. The 1911 will most likely cost more than $600 but the safety system of the 1911 cant be beat.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I had the same problem until I found out how
    the Glock works
    now I'm OK with carrying my Glock
    just carry it in some type of holster to keep
    the trigger covered.
    Last edited by ASSA9; October 6th, 2008 at 10:27 AM.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

If you're not confident enough to carry your Glock, you probably shouldn't carry anything yet. I'd get some training and take a good "fighting" pistol class with your G19. (LOTS of shooting from concealment out of the holster, fast and under stress, incorporating movement and other real-life considerations.) This should cure you of any perception-of-safety issues and make you a better shooter.

It's good that you're cautious and considerate, but I think learning to rely on a little lever instead of training is a bad idea. I've seen far more NDs with the military and the Beretta's external manual safety than I've seen with other competent personnel handling Glocks or SIGs.

I believe in safeties on long guns because long guns don't have holsters. For handguns, I think the no-external/manual safety is not only as safe as the user, but in fact superior. I've seen plenty of people pull the trigger and get no "bang" out of a gun whose safety was still on, and that's on a square range with no stress, while not needing to fight off someone with the other hand or deal with a slippery bloody grip or having an injured/tied up primary arm.

Not trying to lecture, just offer another perspective.

If you end up absolutely needing a "safety" of some sort, try a DA/SA gun with no external safety. It's what I learned on and is still frankly my favorite action. You might find the stiff initial trigger comforting, and the subsequent shots are incredibly crisp and light on a stock SIG.

Sounds like an Compact USP in the caliber of you choice. Heckler&Koch
    It has all the functions you are looking for and it's a reliable weapon.
    You might have to buy used to get in your price range but remember, with guns you usually get what you pay for.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    You have more than a gun problem if you wont carry one without a safety. I do not mean this personal. Get some training to get more comfortable with these kinds of firearns. Any weapon you buy has the possibility of an AD.This Methodology limits you to the kind of gun you get and I think you would be cheating yourself of a Quality self defense weapon or of life. I did not like the XD and others myself because of that at first , but then got some training and it seemed to ease away after the comfort level changed. I now own an XD and a Kahr which both have 1 in the pipe when i carry it. If didn t I might as well carry a hammer in my pocket.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

You don't carry with one in the chamber, and you work in a bad hood...Mmmmm, there's a movie about you...it's called, "Death Wish"...

On a serious note, a Kimber Ultra would fill the bill....but carrying pizzas and a gun tucked in cargo pants?...Good Luck!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by ledhead View Post
    So you ask...why not CC the G19? Well I'm one of those guys that is not and will never be comfortable carrying a chambered firearm lacking a mechanical safety.
    Take the money you're planning to spend on a gun and go get some professional training. That should fix your mindset and training issues regarding carrying chambered.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

You guys who have said "If you're not comfortable carrying the glock chambered, you probably shouldn't carry".... I disagree.

I carry a 1911 with one in the pipe, cocked and locked. I'm comfortable with it because it has multiple layers of safety:
    Neither the trigger, hammer, or slide can move with the thumb safety on.
    The trigger and hammer can't move without the grip safety depressed.
    In the event of a mechanical failure, there's still a half-cock notch.

However, I wouldn't feel very comfortable carrying a Glock with one in the chamber for the same reason the OP mentioned - no safety besides the trigger. Basically, condition zero.
    At least with a revolver, there's the 10-pound double action pull...

To the OP:
    You've gotten several good pieces of advise here, not only on guns, but on recommendations for training and etc...
    Go try a few and let us know how it goes.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links