Night Sights for carry

Night Sights for carry

This is a discussion on Night Sights for carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello How many of you think having Night sights on your carry weapon is imperative. I have my own thoughts if you can see where ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Night Sights for carry

Night Sights for carry

Hello
    How many of you think having Night sights on your carry weapon is imperative. I have my own thoughts if you can see where your target is you can most likely aim and shoot without night sights and if you can't see your target than you need a flashlight. And as soon as turn on your light you can see your sights. What do all you have for opinions on night sights?

AEA
    I would not be without them on a carry weapon.

For me night sights are a must, not for shooting in the dark but for shooting in low light. In low light normal gunsights can get lost in shadows, night sights solve that problem.
    If it's pitch black you are right, a light is needed to make sure you aren't about to kill a family member.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Senior Moderator
    Even in subdued lighting such as inside a building, black sights on dark clothing don't show up well. I've seen numerous situations where it was easy to ID someone, but not light enough to get a quick fix on dark sights. In those situations, the night sights show up, esp. newer ones. But as night sights some age, they get dimmer and require less light to show up effectively.

Self-defense has to be situation driven. There are some situations where you could use your night sights and wouldn't need to give away your position with a flashlight.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    IMHO they are nice to have ,but not a critical issue.

Well first off, I EDC a Glock 99%, and there sights are plastic stock, nights are metal. So for me its a durability issue. If you are going to buy aftermarket or spend the initial extra money for steel sights might as well get every advantage. Night sight for me. Its one of those things you dont see the need for until you actually have them.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Several times during my LEO career I counted on my night sights. Not wanting to give away my exact position by using a flashlight, I could get a fix on my front sight and using the existing light in the area I was in; I could get a positive ID on the BG.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    If you're going to be carrying this gun, I think nite sights are mandatory. Even in the daylight they seem to stand out more than a painted dot on the sights. I look at it this way, the more advantage I can get, the better my chances of survival are. I also have CT laser sights. I like to keep it simple but dependable.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Night Sights...Day Sights

I agree with most of the posters above. I use night sights to improve my daytime shooting. As I get ooooooooolder, I need ALL the advantages I can get. The standard dark front blades and rear sight aperatures make it difficult to see good sight alinement. ALL my carry guns are equiped with night sights.

Important and useful, but perhaps not imperative.

I don't believe that barely seeing a target means that one's sight alignment can be anywhere near clear, thus night sights can help. They're faint, so under stress I'm not certain they'll be a tremendous help. Still, the few times I have handled the the gun at late night, they assisted in getting quick bearings.

The one time I've had to draw at night on an attacker, it was in a darker parking lot with lights coming from the grocery store ~30yds off to my left, so things were lit well enough to line up the sights on the draw (even lacking night sights on the S&W Airweight 442 that I had).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone use a laser on their weapon in addition to night sights? Nice option or overkill?
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

I have them on all of my carry guns.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by dhbry232 View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone use a laser on their weapon in addition to night sights? Nice option or overkill?
    As long as the shooter doesn't rely just on laser sights and trains with and without them, I don't see a problem.
    Laser sights are another tool in the arsenal that definitely have there place.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dhbry232 View Post

Yep have one of my Glocks with both.......I don't rely on the laser much.......consider it a nice option if I was in a big crowd and things went really bad.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Night sights also help with the middle age curse. BI-FOCALS/READING GLASSES. Most people suffering from the curse start having problems getting their front sight in focus. The night sights help by making the sights jump out at you helping to acquire your sight picture faster.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links