Painting my Ruger sp101 front sight?

This is a discussion on Painting my Ruger sp101 front sight? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know a lot of people will paint a black front sight on a revolver bright orange or green so it easier to pick up. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting my Ruger sp101 front sight?

Painting my Ruger sp101 front sight?

I know a lot of people will paint a black front sight on a revolver bright orange or green so it easier to pick up. I was wondering what your guys use for this? Also who makes a good replacement front sight for the sp101 that a gunsmith can install? It looks like the front sight is held in by a pin,is this the case? thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Cabela's sells some glow in the dark paint, a few different colors. I have masked some off and used sparay paint also with good results.

About 2 years back, I was having trouble seeing the front sight on my Browning Buck Mark. I wasn't sure that I wanted to paint it or not, so I thought a good temporary option would be to use white-out. It worked great, in fact, I have only had to touch it up once in that 2 years.

Kev

Forgot to add, I bought a replacement front sight this past spring for my Ruger Redhawk. I got it from Brownell's for around $14. It is a fiber-optic pin that is neon green, I love it.

Kev

If you're spending $$, then XS makes a fine replacement front. You are correct- it is pinned.

If you paint, I use a mix of testors high-gloss white and Devcon 2 ton epoxy. make a dime-nickle sized dab of epoxy, and stir your paint with a toothpick. Usually taking the pick directly from the paint, with a single "shake" to drop the excess makes the right blend. Very gloccy, very tough.

I had my 'smith make a Hi-Viz "type" Front Sight for my SP101 that was "dialed in" to my carry load.

I've got a friend that is going blind, can't see the Front Sight on his issued Glock, Night Site BTW. He tried my two guns with the custom Front Sight and said he could see them.

It's not much, just a BIG RED DOT sticking out there for all to see. If you're going to use paint you can get a "glow in the dark" paint at Walmart for about $5/Pint. It's for painting mailboxes and curbs. Use a Q-Tip and it works pretty good on guns.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    I know a lot of people will paint a black front sight on a revolver bright orange or green so it easier to pick up. I was wondering what your guys use for this? Also who makes a good replacement front sight for the sp101 that a gunsmith can install? It looks like the front sight is held in by a pin,is this the case? thanks.
    Hi-Viz also has a nice fiber-optic front sight for the sp101. You can also get one from Gemini Customs at Gemini Customs LLC - Custom 1911 Firearms.

Whisky19

I like a layer of bright paint or nail polish, allow to dry then add a layer of clear nail polish and let that dry. The nail polish protects the paint from cleaning solvents. I've helped the low-profile sights on several pistols this way and have been very pleased with the outcome (still there after several years and lots of cleaning).

You can use everything from nail polish, white out, testor's etc... I prefer getting a new site but whatever works for you. Not sure if they make the TFO's for the Ruger but if they do, it is the very best night sight I have used and daytime visibility is incredible!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

1943 - 2009

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I have found the sight paint to be a waste of $$, might as well use a bright nail polish...IMHO, still a waste of $$.
    I did put a fiber optic front sight on my Marlin 30-30...it works well as it gathers light.
    Night sights are the best...effective at night/dim light, and plain easy to see dots during the day...OMO

Stay armed...gun sight paint is a waste...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I have used fingernail polish, Bright Sight, and fishing lure jig head paint. All work, and probably the jig head paint is as tough and hard as any, and cheaper.
    It is important to paint the first coat with white paint so that the final color will show well.

I paint all my front sights, and it helps me to get on the target faster.
    I had rather have a painted front sight than night sights if the night sights take up so much of the surface area that it is very difficult to paint the edges of the sight.

Regards,
    Jerry

Bright orange site paint that glows in the dark. That's what I've used. And, the "yellow". Colors that don't blend into any natural background are best.

Mine work well and it makes it much easier to pick up the front sight, especially on my revolvers.

I should have been more clear guys I can see the front sight fine I just have trouble picking up a black sight against a black silouete target. If I go the fiber optic or night sight route,can the factory front sight pin be used to install the new night or fiber optic sight?

1911luver,

You can replace the front sight by removing the pin, but you will probably have to drill a hole in the replacement sight. I replaced my front sight with a Trijicon Tritium. My gunsmith charged me $35 and he did it while I waited about 15 minutes.

Now that I am a little more adventurous, I would probably try to do this on my own. Here is a good link to a guy that replaced his front sight that is on another board. Good luck.

XS Big Dot sight installed on a Smith and Wesson model 60

I love those XS Big Dots. I have one on my Custom Charter .44 Special and the standard dot on my Smitty MP 340.

I have used nail polish in the past and have had the best results with it. If you can spare the dough, I think the laser grips that have been out for awhile are probably the best route to go for a short barreled revolver carried for self defense IMHO.
    God bless our troops!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links