XD9SC or GLOCK 33 ?????

This is a discussion on XD9SC or GLOCK 33 ????? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking to replace a gun that i had to sell due to a death in my family. (needed the cash quick). I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XD9SC or GLOCK 33 ?????

XD9SC or GLOCK 33 ?????

I am looking to replace a gun that i had to sell due to a death in my family. (needed the cash quick). I am trying to decide between the XD and the Glock 33. I know they are different calibers but I need a good carry gun and am not too familiar with the .357 as opposed to the 9MM. Also anyone looking for a pancake holster for a SA XD9SC I have one fs or maybe trade. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    One thing I'd look at is ammo price. I'm not sure about 357sig but I do know that 9mm is a heck of a lot cheaper than most of the other main calibers. For me that was a deciding factor when selecting a glock.

Being a Glock owner I am probably biased towards the G33. I, for one, would also look at the Glock 9mm models if ammo costs are a concern. SA makes good reliable pistols too, so it would probably come down to which one feels the best in your hand and is comfortable for you to carry.
    God bless our troops!

The .357 ballisticaly is a bad*** round. Very effective. But it is expensive and cannot be found everywhere. You can drop in a .40 barrel no problem which gives you two guns. The 9mm ammo nowadays is so well engineered that you are not undergunned if you practice like you have to do with anything else. Go with a good manufactured 115 or 124 gr +p round and you wont be disappointed. Plus the g26 is the same size as a g33 and much easier to find parts and accessories for when you start your hunt.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Go with a good manufactured 115 or 124 gr +p round and you wont be disappointed.
    Or 147gr, even better.

Not to sidetrack the discussion, but at CCW handgun velocities, I feel much better with heavy/slower vs. lighter/faster. My 9mm carry round is 147gr HST. Not +P so it's easier to practice with out of a subcompact (especially for the wife), but with 75% of the bullet weight of my .45ACP carry round, I'd consider it more effective against bone or other high density material than the lighter rounds.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

That's true too. about the 147 gr. I carry 147 grain Hornady TAP in my p228.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Last year I sold a G33 and bought a XDSC 40 to replace it. The G33 worked flawlessly, however, the ammo was more expensive and the snap from the .357 SIG was apparently too much for me because I couldn't shoot it worth a darn (low and to the left of course). The XD, in my opinion, has an improved grip angle and I have no problems shooting it. The biggest reason for me buying the XDSC 40 instead of the 9mm was the ability to convert the 40 "down" to .357 or 9mm later if I wanted to, but could not covert the 9mm "up."

Either way, you can't go wrong. Both platforms will serve you well.

Being as I like Glocks for a "bottomfeeder, the availability of parts is better and that you can change Barrels and shoot 40 and 9mm, I'd select the 33. Of course if you decide to shoot 9mm you will also have to use the Glock 26 Magazines.

In short, keep the Glock, get rid of the Croatian "plastic". Nothing wrong with them, but it's a bear to try and find spare magazines and parts in some out of the way places, like South Africa, Australia and France. At least that's what I've heard.

Biker

Lots o' parts for the XDs. Here's just one site with great customer service and fast shipping.

PISTOLGEAR | XD HOLSTER, MAGAZINES AND MORE

Another Glock person here... my first two Glock purchases where both compact (23c and 19), then my last purchase was the Glock 26 (subcompact)... great size, very accurate, utterly reliable, and very easy to carry. I like the .40, but I can practice with my 9mm's so much longer for the same amount of money... I know I can convert the .40 to a .357 or 9mm, but I prefer to be able to carry my 9mm's... therefore, I wanted exactly what I have purchased.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I faced the same issue and went with the XD9SC. Hold one and then the other, no comparison in comfort. And this comes from a guy who likes Glocks! Both great guns but in my opinion for what you looking for, the Springfield is the deal!
    Springfield XD40SC
    Springfield XD9 Tactical
    Taurus PT145 Stainless
    Sig 22 Mosquito
    NAA .380 All Stainless

Senior Moderator
    Glock - just my opinion of course.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

+1 more for the XD. I like the grip safety and the ergonomics. IMO, the XD is much more pleasant to shoot at the range. (It's also a much more visually appealing gun, heh)

That being said, for a carry a gun I like a manual safety regardless of what the NRA says.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    When I got my XD 9sc it was a toss up between it and the Glock sub compact. The XD just felt a bit better. It is a dream to shoot and is my EDC. That said, you can't go wrong with the Glock, either.

Try them both and get the one that feels best for you. You won't be sorry either way.
    NRA Life Member

Like I said I did have a XD9SC before my dad passed away. I sold it to get a tattoo in memory of him. That gun had probably 2500-3000 rounds through it with no problems at all. I really had no bad times with the XD, it is easy to handle, a dream to shoot, and a great carry piece. I am just thinking of maybe going to a different caliber with a similar frame style ( XDSC is not offered in .357). That was where my question lies. It is occurring to me though reading these responses that this is more of a Chevy-Ford debate and I can probably not go wrong with either one. Thanks to all who posted so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links