22's For DCCW?

22's For DCCW?

This is a discussion on 22's For DCCW? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Fellows I was just wondering if any of you have ever considered your 22's as your DCCW weapon? I've been reading a couple of interesting ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22's For DCCW?

22's For DCCW?

Fellows I was just wondering if any of you have ever considered your 22's as your DCCW weapon?
    I've been reading a couple of interesting books on the ccw's of the past and present. What I've found surprising is how highly regarded the little 22lr is in the rest of the world but as both authors point out it is generally ignored as an effective defensive round in the US and Canada.
    Wonder why that is....big caliber hype????
    Anyway, I found it interesting and thought I would put the question to you-all. Have you ever thought about using your 22 for your ccw? Why or why not?
    I know if I didn't have the LCP I might really consider carrying one of these, S&W 3" 317 revolver, Walther PPk 22lr or the Walther PP22lr. As a matter of fact the more I think about it....I still might carry one every once in a while. Let's hear from you.....
    Best
    JimK68
    45 ACP: SP 1911 TRP, Sig P220compact, HK 45c
    40 cal: S&W M&P 40c
    9mm: Sig 239, Sp EMP, HKP7M8, HKP7 PSP
    380 ACP: Sig 232, Bersa T, Colt Gov series 80, Colt Pony Pocketlite, Ruger LCP
    22 LR: Ruger SS MKIII Hunter, Colt Fronteer Scout 22lr/mag, Walther PPK 22lr, PP22lr, P22, S&W 317, S&W 34-1

Distinguished Member
    Many very good reasons not to carry a 22lr for a self defense weapon. Here are a few that come to mind.

A) I live in a state that sees it's share of cold weather, so many a folk dress in layers during the cold weather. What are the odds that a 22lr would make it through several heavy layers, and still penetrate the BG.

B) Of the guns I own and shoot, the 22 has the most FTF, FTE, and FTF. I don't want that on my mind when I need my CCW weapon.

I could list several more, but I feel those are the 2 most obvious.

If I read correctly, you carry a LCP, so why even consider the 22.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

VIP Member
    I do at times, p-22

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    nevernot enough penetration in my opinion. I have heard stories of people being killed with one but would nt risk my life on it as long as I have a 45acp
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    B) Of the guns I own and shoot, the 22 has the most FTF, FTE, and FTF. I don't want that on my mind when I need my CCW weapon.
    I agree with Z, mosty for reason "B". This is from experience: I belong to a pistol league, and during the .22 shoots, there is almost always an "alibi", when someone has a FTF. It could be a dud, a double feed, a stovepipe, whatever, but in a defensive situation, I wouldn't want to have that happen.

If you want something really small and light, I would stay with a .380, like the LCP, or Rohrbaugh 9mm.

My 2
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Well, if you go to a country were people rob and mug you with nothing but sticks and stones, then a 22 is more than adequate power. You are then superior to everyone else. Reverse, go to a country where everyone open carries an AK47 then my XD45 suddenly looks like that little 22. Same logic.

One word, Energy
    If you do the math on it , the 22lr it is too low to stop someone
    fast consistently.
    your life needs better odds than the energy numbers
    the 22lr will give you

you get numbers around 150 ft. lbs from the 22lr
    my Glock G33 chambered in 357 sig gives me 500-600 ft lbs
    I will take that math any day

PS I have a P22 and like it ,but I don't bet my life on it
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

bae
    I carried a Walther TPH when I couldn't manage to bring along anything bigger, until I got a Ruger LCP recently. The Walther is a great little gun, but it's no longer made, and .22LR rounds don't seem to handle the environmental issues of concealed carry very well, I changed the ammo every week to avoid misfires.

Perhaps when cutting the lawn in gym shorts...with my NAA .22LR Mini...but more likely my KelTec .380.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ASSA9 View Post
    One word, Energy
    If you do the math on it , the 22lr it is too low to stop someone
    fast consistently.
    your life needs better odds than the energy numbers
    the 22lr will give you

you get numbers around 150 ft. lbs from the 22lr ......
    How's 'bout a 22 Mag?
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

I have carried a P22 in the past, as it was light and compact to carry. I usually did this when walking my Bichon and figured the threat level to be low. That was until we ran into three huge Great Danes that had gotten loose one night. My P22 suddenly didn't feel so adequate that night. Now I carry at least a .38 special and some pepper spray when out walking my little canine pal.
    God bless our troops!

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    John Hinkley did pretty well with a .22lr.
    Sirhan Sirhan used one too.
    A .22lr up close can be pretty dangerous.
    History shows this to be true.

22's for DCCW

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    John Hinkley did pretty well with a .22lr.
    Sirhan Sirhan used one too.
    A .22lr up close can be pretty dangerous.
    History shows this to be true.

Do you really want to be that close and HOPE the .22 does the job? Not me. When the SHTF,I know my .45acp will work. Practice with the .22,but carry a major caliber for SD. My 2 cents.

Administrator
    While it is true that more people are killed every year with the .22 Rimfire the problem is that they are not usually stopped right away.

Administrator
    There is a huge difference between running up to another human being and popping them in the head with any caliber and STOPPING a deadly threat that is ready to cave your skull in with a tire iron.
    It does not do you much good at all if your violent attacker dies eventually.

That being said if you decide to carry a .22 handgun for personal defense then it is probably a good idea to stoke it with Match Grade ammunition since the Quality Control manufacturing standards are much, much higher with Match Grade than with most other "off the shelf" .22 ammunition.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links