Any thoughts on the Kahr CW9?

This is a discussion on Any thoughts on the Kahr CW9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone who has/is using the Kahr CW9, I'd appreciate your thoughts with regards to reliability and anything else you think may be usefull regarding this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on the Kahr CW9?

Any thoughts on the Kahr CW9?

Anyone who has/is using the Kahr CW9, I'd appreciate your thoughts with regards to reliability and anything else you think may be usefull regarding this weapon. I've read some good reviews on it and will be heading out to put some rounds down range with one in the next couple weeks, but I've noticed an excellent knowledge base on this forum and figured I'd give a shout. I usually carry a bit bigger than a 9mm but the smaller size (comparatively) is attractive for some uses. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

CW9

I have three Kahrs and the CW9 is the one that I carry the most, especially in the summertime using a IWB holster made for me by "The Beltman". There have been no reliabilty problems after approx 500 rounds. It is not a pistol that I shoot a lot, at approx 15 oz. it is not a lot of fun after a few mags. I did break the corner of the polymer frame at the left rear, dug into the joint of my right thumb and I removed the "pimples" on the front of the grip. I just like the way a smooth front grip feels. I use Cor-bon 90 gr Pwr R Balls as my defensive ammo.

Administrator
    The CW9 is a good gun, but I highly suggest you pony up the extra cash to get a P9.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have the P9. I believe the CW9 will be an outstanding weapon. I think the looks are different but where it counts, I think they're close enough.

I like how concealable they are and the fact that there aren't any controls other than a slide release and no mag disconnect. The Kahr triggers are about the perfect CCW DAO trigger in my opinion.

Mine is very accurate and I hear that alot. I do think the rifleing is different between the CW9 and the PM9 but for a defensive pistol it's probably not a big deal. It would be interesting to hear from someone who had both but I doubt too many have both!

I love my CW9 so much I wish it was a P9. Sixto's right on the money.

Save a little more and get a lot more if you can.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I would also contemplate spending the extra money and going with the P series over the CW series. That being said, any reason why you would be against the PM9? I think you get the best of both worlds. It is shorter in length and height, and you can pocket carry it. If you want something that you can get all your fingers around, you can use the 7 round mag with the extension that comes with it, or you can get some Pearce Grip extensions. These give the 6 round mags enough plastic to get all your digits around the strap.

Another pro of the P, or PM series is that you can upgrade to night sights, it comes with a "better" (Lothar Hexagonal) and more accurate barrel, and the slide stop is beveled. I took a dremel to my CW40 to bevel the slide stop, but I would love to have night sights on this gun. For a few more bucks, I could have just got the PM40.

I have a PM9, PM45, and CW40. Kicking myself for not getting the smaller PM40.

Here are some comparison pics of all 3:

Thanks

I'll check out the P/PM's also, give me something fun to do during my vacation. Much appreciated.

EW3
    Just keep in mind that with the CW series Kahrs, you cannot get night sights due to the front sight being pinned in. Kahr is allegedly working on this, but I've yet to see anything.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunney View Post
    ....using a IWB holster made for me by "The Beltman". ..
    He makes holsters?
    Separate biz? Link?

thnx,

- OS

What's all the biz about not being able to "slingshot" the slides after loading a new mag? I've also got these guns on my 'to look at' list, but after hearing about this issue, its got me to wondering. Do they still drop magazines after the first round is fired?
    Glock 27
    Para LTC 1911
    Kel Tec P-3AT
    Ruger LCP

My 40 had magazine issues. The PM45 has a metal mag release. The PM9 has a metal insert in the mag release. I have not had any magazine/feeding issues.....wait, back up. I have not had any issues period, with either my PM45, or my PM9.

Quote Originally Posted by KYmxracer52 View Post
    What's all the biz about not being able to "slingshot" the slides after loading a new mag? I've also got these guns on my 'to look at' list, but after hearing about this issue, its got me to wondering. Do they still drop magazines after the first round is fired?
    Kahr recommends using slide release to chamber first round. Very tight little guns, stiff springs, can nose dive round if you don't get it back all the way and let it really snap into battery.
    Many folks report that after a few hundred rounds, hand racking is okay.
    No big deal to me, I always use slide release to chamber first round (PM9)
    And of course, for mag change while shooting, that's what you do anyway, since slide locks back when empty.

- OS

Not to stray from the topic, but it seems like the PM45 is a pretty reliable piece? Nice gun, but stinks that .45 is so expensive.
    Glock 27
    Para LTC 1911
    Kel Tec P-3AT
    Ruger LCP

I have a pm9 and a cw9. After a lot of experminting i now carry the cw9 all of the time.The pm9 carries really great but i do not shoot it as well as the cw9. I carry iwb --think its a bearclaw klydex--I carry all day with no notice of weight. I tried the G26 with a sparks holster and 11/2 inch belt and i felt it was to heavy.
    I use the G26 only at home-it has night sights.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I have a CW40 and a PM9 and both have been flawless with several 100 rounds through each pistol. I think the CW series guns are excellant values and as with all Kahr's great guns. If night sights are an issue then you do need to pony up and get the p series but for the money the CW series is hard to beat. It just depends on how much cash you want to spend. I paid less than 4 bills for my CW and its been well worth it IMO. I personally don't think you give up too much with the CW series guns.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links