Glock 23 or Springfield XD-M?

This is a discussion on Glock 23 or Springfield XD-M? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a friend who is looking to buy a second gun, and can't decide between the Glock 23 and the XD-M, both in .40 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 23 or Springfield XD-M?

Glock 23 or Springfield XD-M?

I have a friend who is looking to buy a second gun, and can't decide between the Glock 23 and the XD-M, both in .40 cal.

Have any of you shot both? Heard or know anything bad about either?

Opinions and facts welcome. Thanks!

(Sorry, that should be XD-M in the title. Ooops!)
    I don't see SD in the title - Tangle
    Last edited by JD; October 8th, 2008 at 04:28 PM.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    glock

Senior Moderator
    It's funny - I called Springfield Armory about 2 weeks ago and asked them if they were planning to offer the XD-M in 9mm. The answer was there are no plans in the works for an XD-M in 9mm.

Just yesterday, I saw the first ads in some gun mags for the newest XD-M member - yep, the XD-M in 9mm.

I like what I see, but I haven't had one in my hands yet, but when the 9mm version comes out, I'll probably take a look at it.

Having said that, and having owned four XDs, I now own 4 Glocks and one XD. So I'd pick a Glock. You can buy parts for a Glock all over the place and as I understand it, SA will not sell parts for the XD.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Both the glock and xds are good guns
    its comes down to how they feel in his
    hand
    he needs to rent them and shoot them
    to find this out
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    You can buy parts for a Glock all over the place and as I understand it, SA will not sell parts for the XD.

This is the reason the question is a no brainer... G23 wins hands down.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have no experience with the XD. But I have several Glocks, one of which is a 23. As a matter of fact my job just replaced my 2nd generation with a 3rd. I love it. Very accurate, conceals well and great capacity of great caliber IMO.

I usually carry my 27 off-duty and 23 on duty. Ofcourse, now I must carry my new toy off-duty. So the 27 will go in the safe for awhile and I will have my 23 with me 24/7.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    You can buy parts for a Glock all over the place and as I understand it, SA will not sell parts for the XD.
    This is the reason the question is a no brainer... G23 wins hands down.
    Exactly. Plus you have trigger options with a Glock that you don't with the XD.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

XD

Tough call. For carry the glock is shorter, lighter and should conceal better. The XD-M has more capacity but that could be achieved by using a G-22 mag in your (his) G-23.

The XD-m is a sexy looking gun for a polymer, but if you want looks we should be talking custom 1911.

I like Glock and thats my vote.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Glock
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I own an XD(M). It's my first pistol (and my only at the moment). I actually walked into the gun shop with the intention of buying a G17 or G22 and walked out with the XD(M) and it wasn't due to salesmanship. It was a very difficult decision for me though. I really liked the way the XD(M) felt in my hand, its interchangeable backstraps, and its unobtrusive safety features. XDs in general seem like Glocks to me with 1911 grip angles and grip safeties. Since it is my first handgun the safety aspect was a big selling point, even with the knowledge that Glock parts and accessories would be ubiquitous while trimmings for the XD(M) would be scarce.

Now 5 months and 1300 trouble-free rounds later I still love my XD(M).

But I really think I would've loved the Glock as well. I still keep eyeballing the G19 every time I go into the shop simply because I think it would've made a better all-around carry weapon. The XD-45c siren song is also calling me... but I digress.

Having shot both the XD(M) and a Glock 22 I consider them both equally good shooters, maybe a slight edge to the XD(M) for the match grade barrel but if your friend is OK with either grip angle as I am then I think the decision becomes one between some of the extra features of the XD(M) versus the superior availability of parts, holsters and accessories for the Glock. That and that the Glock should be at least $100 cheaper.

If after handling both of them he still can't make a decision then I would nudge him towards the Glock as a safer bet.
    Life Member: Grass Roots North Carolina, GOA | Member: NRA
    Carrying: Springfield Armory XD(M) .40 S&W | Kel-Tec PF9

I say the XD(M). As for offering it in 9mm, none of the articles have described what calliber the new one is going to be in to the best of my knowledge, including their website.

"I really liked the way the XD(M) felt in my hand"

Listen to what the mischievous monkey has to say here--whichever gun feels more comfortable that's what you want to go with. IMO it's a great choice either way and he'll be very satisfied.
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

I prefer the XD, it just feels and shoots better for me. I feel like I would have to retrain myself every time I pick up a Glock and then again when I pick up anything else.

I think feel is much more important than the grip safety that XD has, but Glock doesn't. That's just my opionon. My father does not like his Glock because he doesn't trust it. He regrets the purchase because of that. That might enter into your friends decision, but like I said, it's not nearly as important as how it feels and how it shoots for him.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    XDm is a better pistol IMO.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links