Range Report: XS Big Dot Sight - update

This is a discussion on Range Report: XS Big Dot Sight - update within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I went to the range and shot another 200 rds (100 WWB, 100 Rem. UMC) through my G17 with the XS sights and Rocket ...

Thread: Range Report: XS Big Dot Sight - update

Senior Moderator

Range Report: XS Big Dot Sight - update

Yesterday I went to the range and shot another 200 rds (100 WWB, 100 Rem. UMC) through my G17 with the XS sights and Rocket connector.

The Rocket is solid as far as I can tell, but I didn't shoot as well because I seemed to be having sight picture issues. Seems like the first time I shot with the XS sights, everything was easy, rather instinctive. This last time, it seemed like I couldn't get settled into a consistent, conscious sight picture. I think the other day when I shot, I was indexing off that big front sight with little conscious effort at rear sight alignment. This last time (yesterday) I may have been 'trying too hard'.

This may have been part of the problem:
    I had my S&W 686 2-1/2" revo. with me and decided to shoot it first. It has the blade and notch sight and that's what I'm use to shooting. I was shooting DA and it was like I couldn't miss. I was mainly shooting at the IDPA shaped dingers at 65 yards, five rounds at a time. It was just easy. I wasn't shooting slowly either, these were about as fast as I could recover from recoil and I was shooting one dinger, moving to the next and shooting it so it would be like multiple threats. I really enjoyed the revolver and wished I'd brought more than 50 rounds for it.

I think, when I switched to my G17, I was trying to get that same sight picture from my XS sights and of course that's simply not going to happen. That could suggest that if one has XS sights on one gun and blade and notch sights on another gun, there may be some 'hang over' effects. I.e. the mind/eye may get a little confused on the alignment.

I'd say I just was a little off with my shooting this last time, but that doesn't fit based on the enormous success with my 686 revo.

Oh well, more 'research' tomorrow - will it ever end?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Good right up. I understand the hang-up in switching sights. I changed the "straight 8" sites on a Taurus last year, and as much as I hated them I was still use to them. It took plently of "research"!!
    God Bless America!!

Links