Walther P22 best ammo

Walther P22 best ammo

This is a discussion on Walther P22 best ammo within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am relatively new to guns, but I currently own an HK 40 USP LEM which I may only carry at work. I recently purchased ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Walther P22 best ammo

I am relatively new to guns, but I currently own an HK 40 USP LEM which I may only carry at work. I recently purchased a Walther P22 which I have been using for practice since the 40 ammo is so expensive.

I am probably going to start carrying the P22 for self defense, but I'm not sure what ammo is best. I've been shooting the federal 22 LR ammo for about 200 rounds, and never had a problem.

What is the best/most lethal 22 round.

If at all avoidable, lets not make this an argument about a 22 being too small a round.

I would say the Remington Yellow Jacket Hollow points.

Thumbs up

CCI stingers, 1640 fps

Be careful, I also own a Walther P22 and I shot about 200 rounds though it of cheap ammo out of the 500 box. And I had a build up inside the barrel of metal. The people at the store said it was due to using ammo without a copper coating or something. It was a while ago and I don't exactly remember. So if any one knows what I'm talking about please let us know.
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'll resist the temptation to comment on .22 for CCW

I'd also recommend the CCI Stingers and I'd keep my P22 Very, very clean. I use an actual gun grease on my rails. I can't remember the name of it but it's gold in color and I really like how my auto's function with it. My P22 isn't as reliable with just CLP.

Practice your clearing drills a lot...mine is actually very reliable but .22 ammo isn't as reliable as centerfire. I even had one underpowered round that left the bullet lodged in the barrel. I notice the difference in sound and stopped firing. It would have been easy to send another round down that tube.

I like mine.

Administrator
    You're going to need speed and penetration, CCI Stingers are a good choice. They are the most common HV 22lr, and CCI makes good stuff. There are others just as fast or faster, but I like CCI's quality better, and every gunshop sells it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I usually buy the Remington Golden Bullet value packs and find them to be extremely accurate in all of my 22s. I do get about 1 round in 75 that's a dud but for the price, that's acceptable for practice ammo. It is, however, on the fringe of power for operating the P22. I have no problem with it but both my wife and daughter do. If you limp wrist the gun at all with this ammo, it won't cycle. For absolute reliability with my P22, I go with CCI Stingers or MiniMags.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Never could get the P22 to function correctly on ay type of load. Brand new and never worked correctly - jammed. I would not trust any Walther at this point - had a brand new PPK - jammed.

I don't think there is a good load for the P22.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I'm going to differ here. I prefer CCI Velocitors. It is 40 grains (bigger than the Stinger's 32), it is slower by 200fps out the barrel but then keeps going until it is faster, has more energy, and has a Gold Dot designed hollowpoint. In my own ballistics test, the Velocitor was better than the Stinger; noticeable bigger hole, penetration was good. My P22 has eaten everything I've fed it. A .22 is better than a stick or rock, and if not for anything else, it IS a gun and could intimidate someone.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I have a P22 also and have look at carrying it but
    I do not.
    After checking the speed of the bullets coming out of a
    short barrel you will find you about 30 to 45 percent
    of the velocity stated by the bullet MFG.

I checked Velocitors (40 Grains)by CCI and if I remember right they (CCI) say about 1475 on the box and out of my P22
    they were at just over 900.

So if I were you I would carry a solid nose bullet for penetration and make it light so it can pick out as much energy/speed as it can in the shot barrel.

Aquila makes a 30 or 32 grain bullet with a high speed that
    will cycle my P22 very well.

But as I said I still do not carry it, WHY?
    Because the same day I saw a guy check the speed of a 25acp
    mouse gun with Cor-bon bullet and it shot at over 1600!!!

If a little 25acp can out do a 22lr I don't need to carry it.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Not that I would ever carry a .22 for CCW unless it was absolutely all I had, but at handgun velocities I certainly wouldn't carry HPs. Not even Yellow Jackets. The HP will seriously reduce penetration while still not creating a critical wound channel, and the lighter weight will reduce penetration even further (without a lot of velocity behind it, more weight = greater penetration). So if forced to carry a .22, I'd carry a 40gr solid in the fastest load I could find.

The problem, as has been argued many times, is not that a .22 isn't lethal or capable of incapacitation, but that it rarely does so quickly. That, and .22 auto reliability is always a bit inconsistent. Those are factors I'd prefer not to trust my life with, unless I had no other choice. Again, the .22 in your pocket is 1000x better than the .45 left at home. I'll just plan to be carrying the .45 in the first place.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

What works in one P-22 may not work in another. Use solids and use the fastest ones that you gun will function with.
    .22's are known for FTF, FTE and misfires due to the case design.
    It is better than no gun just practice failure drills. Plan on empting the gun on the target and then run. They will run out of stream but not immediately.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Any premium .22 hollow point should be ok. My P22 is pretty good at eating everything except American Eagle. I like it enough as a range gun and a glove box plinker but I don't know about an EDC gun. I like my Walther PPS 9mm or my G36 .45 as both are slim and pack a considerable wallop.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate your help. I know the 22 for CCW is a big discussion, but I do plan on using an HK USP 40 when I can afford to buy one for personal use.

Quote Originally Posted by ASSA9 View Post
    ...................But as I said I still do not carry it, WHY?
    Because the same day I saw a guy check the speed of a 25acp
    mouse gun with Cor-bon bullet and it shot at over 1600!!!

If a little 25acp can out do a 22lr I don't need to carry it.
    I think that guy may want to invest in a new chronograph.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links