Ported SP101 owners have a question

This is a discussion on Ported SP101 owners have a question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I talked to gemini customs today and am leaning towards getting my sp101 hydra ported. to those here have shot these ported sp101's how ...

Thread: Ported SP101 owners have a question

Ported SP101 owners have a question

Well I talked to gemini customs today and am leaning towards getting my sp101 hydra ported. to those here have shot these ported sp101's how much easier to shoot then a non ported one? I don't find my sp101 hard to control but am wondering how much better they shoot with the ported barrel? Would you recommend thi feature on my sp101 it is a carry gun for what it worth thanks.

2. Remove Ads

not a ruger but i have had a couple of ported taurus .357's it makes all the difference in the world. you can shoot full load 357's and they recoil like mild 38's. only downside is more flash and noise.

VIP Member
    While porting can be good for target shooting. I would not recommend it for a CC gun, due to the muzzle flash and gases be vent up and back.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You really need to shoot a ported weapon from retention to experience why I would never carry a ported sidearm...wear plenty of sunscreen...

Don't do it!

Stay armed...no porting...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

While porting can be good for target shooting. I would not recommend it for a CC gun, due to the muzzle flash and gases be vent up and back.
    This is the traditional opinion, but "ain't necessarily so", just like so much other crap in gun rags.

As the owner of four revolvers worked on by Marc Morganti at Gemini Customs, three of them SP101s with porting, I can give a qualified view that isn't just a second-hand opinion.

Marc's Hybra-Porting is an excellent modification.
    I was initially reluctant to get it with the first gun I sent him, but I acquiesced to try it, and it significantly reduces felt recoil and muzzle flip, yet it does not produce increased flash (yes, I've shot in dim lighting) nor any blowback of debris. I've held the ports close to my face while firing, and all I've felt is a "puff", no debris or crap.
    I suspect noise is increased (no, I haven't compared ported vs. non-ported without hearing protection!), but there has to be some sort of tradeoff.

I've now had it done on both my 2 1/4" and 3 1/16" barrel SP101s, and AFAIC it's a very worthwhile option.

And no, I have nothing to do with Gemini Customs or Marc Morganti except as a pleased customer. Marc's work is top notch, IMNSHO. I can't speak for all varieties of porting done by others and their practical results, but Marc's Hybra-Porting is something you're likely to appreciate.
    Humani nihil alienum

I had a Smith & Wesson Model 66 Magna ported several years ago and I feel that I ruined the revolver. Not that much reduction in recoil (it wasn't bad to start with), a lot of flash out of the ports, it blacked up the front sight after just a few rounds, and unburned powder would pepper my hands and sometimes my face.
    I was sick with what I had done to my gun. I traded it off soon afterwards. I would never do it again. If recoil is a problem with the SP101 you can use milder ammo or drop to a .38 if yours is a .357. Do whatever you have to do without butchering your gun. You can't un-do it once it's done.

Just shows how results differ according to type and method of porting.
    My comments above about the results of Hybra-Porting on my SP101s pertain to shooting only full power 158gr .357 Magnum JHP from Buffalo Bore, BTW, not .38 Special loads. I see no reason to shoot .38 Special rounds in as solid and weighty (26 oz) a gun as the S101.
    Humani nihil alienum

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm not writing this to frighten you, but here's my experience with ported guns.
    Several years ago I bought a Taurus 5 shot snubbie in .41 Magnum at a gun show, It was factory ported. I lived in very rural NM at the time, so I went in my backyard to shoot it. I fired my first shot from the standard Weaver position. A piece of the bullet exited one of the ports, shattered my safety glasses and lodged in my eye.
    I went to my optamologist who refered me to an eye surgeon. He proceeded to try to remove the fragment from the white portion of my eye, all the while telling me that had it penetrated clear through to my retina or had it struck my cornea, I would of been in a world of hurt. He was able to remove virtually all the fragment, but to this day I carry a piece about the size of a grain of salt in my eye. Fortunately it doesn't affect my vision (still 20/17 at age 54).
    I still have that gun, but to this day I haven't fired it again. No more ported barrels for me. A tip on shooting glasses. Those made of polycarbonate are the best. That material actually absorbs some of the impact and is very shatter resistant.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I had my S&W ported because I believed all the hype about the reduction in recoil. Too much recoil was never an issue with my M66 but I got caught up in the porting fad and had it done. Porting might be OK for the large hand cannons used for hunting but we are talking about carry guns here.

For a carry gun, the added noise and any recoil reduction would never be noticed in a defensive situation. The flash out of the ports and the possibility of debris blowing back on the shooter could cause big problems if the carry gun was ever needed to defend yourself or loved ones. See automatic slim's post above.

I'm guessing that the reason that most people have any firearm ported is that they are hoping for recoil reduction. I was only suggesting to 1911luver that he could drop back to .38 or even .38+P if the recoil of the .357 was too uncomfortable for him. By changing the ammo, he wouldn't end up with a butchered gun.

Here is a pretty good article, and some cool pics of a Hybra Ported Ruger.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/port.pdf

I don't want my defensive carry guns ported. To each their own.

Last post I'll make to this thread.
    The OP specifically asked about Marc Morganti's porting of SP101s from Gemini Customs.

Most everyone above has responded with their "porting is bad because..." stories and referring to a ported gun as a "butchered gun", yet all their stories relate to some other type of gun, ported some other way.

My direct and substantial experience with Hybra Porting from Marc is that:
    1.) There is NO visible muzzle flash from the ports in dim ambient lighting.
    2.) There is NO perceivable debris release from the ports. I've repeatedly shot the gun with the pistol held in the high retention position without any such occuring. Of course I've had safety glasses on, but no junk came out. I've tested this repeatedly.

All of my shooting with my three SP101s has been with factory premium .357 Magnum ammunition, all of it 158gr, and some 80% of that the full power JHC type from Buffalo Bore. They make good quality ammunition; clean, low flash, powerful.

Others may have used crappy, dirty ammunition, and obviously didn't have guns ported by the Hybra-Port approach.
    I haven't had Magna-Porting or any other porting done except Hybra-Porting.
    I have no other ported guns than the compact SP101s.

I don't believe that revolvers shooting lower pressure cartridges such as .38 Special, 9x19mm, .44 Special or .45ACP benefit significantly from porting, but guns shooting higher pressure loads such as 357 Magnum, .44 Magnum on up, do, especially in smaller, lighter guns.

If you don't understand that there's a difference, let me suggest your shooting these loads in ported vs. non-ported guns if you have the chance. The difference is quite significant, and glaringly obvious.
    Marc's revolver barrel porting and "butchering" have absolutely nothing in common.
    Humani nihil alienum

Marc did my "carry" revovler and I love it!

70% recoil reduction with none of the problem crap that others have written about on the net.

I can fire five hot .357 mag rounds in five seconds at five yards and keep all impacting rounds within five inches of POA. This is the 5-5-5-5 rule I use for all my self defense weapons.
    It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. Thatís what itís all about; when everyone else is huddled around the campfire, somebody has to go out and fight.

Just curious, how did you measure the 70% reduction in recoil?

Ah...I meant 70% reduction in "muzzle flip". That is a number given by Jack Weigand:

"As you may know we are the originators of Hybra-Port and own the Trademark. We have been porting revolvers since 1990 with that porting system. The flash issue is an ammo thing. Think for a moment, a ball of flame is going to come out of the muzzle or the ports. In the dark your eyes are not sure where it came from just that there is a flash. I have done testing and found no real difference in low or no light flash. I will tell you the two problems with porting of any type.
    1)Noise, ported guns are loud, period. If you port your gun is will be more uncomfortable to shoot without ear protection.
    2) Escaping gasses at high pressure. You can not fire the gun anywhere close to your body. If you come in to contact with the high-pressure escaping gasses it will do damage.
    I have Hybra-Ported in excess of 20,000 revolvers with few complaints about muzzle flash but quite a few complaints on the other two issues. Our porting will reduce muzzle flip up to 70% but you must be willing to suffer with the two drawbacks I have described.
    The issue of porting a carry gun has always been a sticky topic; I can see both sides. More than one gunwriter has refused to write about our Hybra-Ported guns for carry. What I tell customers is this. If you can deal with the muzzle flip do not port your gun. If you just don't like or can't deal with muzzle flip, port it. I will build a gun either way.
    I hope this clears up a little about the muzzle flash issue. I suggest if you don't have a ported gun get a friend that has one and do some testing, I believe you will find what I am saying to be true. As one of the other posters has said, find ammo that has reduced flash and I think the problem will be solved. Jeez, this is my longest post yet, LOL!"
    God Bless
    Jack Weigand
    It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. Thatís what itís all about; when everyone else is huddled around the campfire, somebody has to go out and fight.

Links