Anyone carry a Colt 1991 Commander?

This is a discussion on Anyone carry a Colt 1991 Commander? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How do you like it as a carry gun? What have you found is the best IWB holster for it? What improvements/changes have you made ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone carry a Colt 1991 Commander?

Anyone carry a Colt 1991 Commander?

How do you like it as a carry gun?

What have you found is the best IWB holster for it?

What improvements/changes have you made to yours?

Any problems with it?

Pics?

2. Remove Ads

I regularly carry a bobtail commander in an Andrews MacDaniel II holster. I can't really complain about anything with that combination. If anything, the all steel 1911 may be a little heavy for many, but I like the weight. YMMV

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I own a Commander and carry it at times but not IWB. Its a bit to heavy as far as I am concerned for IWB carry, some others may feel differently. Its a fine pistol and very reliable.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I have a 1991 Commander and carry it some, both IWB & OWB. Very accurate, reliable. A good belt & holster make the weight not so bad. No modifications to it other than polished ramp, throat & chamber & grips & Wilson checkered front grip strap. Holsters are Galco & Don Hume.

I've got that same gun on layaway now ('91 Commander). If it tests out reliably I plan on using it as my primary carry instead of the Nighthawk T3 I currently carry. I love the Nighthawk for the accuracy and how well it carries but if I ever have to use it, I'd likely lose it to an evidence locker for who knows how long - that's an expensive proposition that I'm trying to avoid.

The Commander length 1911 is, IMHO, one of the best carry weapons on the market today and the Colt will hold it's resale value better than others in the same price range, I know that from personal experience. Personally, I feel the Commanders balance better in the hand and ride more comfortably on the belt than the fullsize Goverments. I don't care for 1911s shorter than 4", haven't had good luck with them.

Holsters: My favorite is the Brommeland Max-Con V. The sciatic flange helps avoid nerve pressure points so it's comfortable to wear all day long. No problems with one handed reholstering and I frequently nap on the couch while wearing it.

Improvements:
    - A range trip is called for first. If I get hammer bite I'll replace the grip safety with an Ed Brown memory groove beavertail. I may do that anyway just because I like how they handle.
    - I'll be replacing the std. thumb safety with a single side, Ed Brown "Tactical" model. It's not necessary for the gun to function but it's what I've grown accustomed to and will help when switching between three 1911s.
    - In time I may add night sights but that's further down on the priorities list. I like Novak low mount night sights as well as the Heinie straight 8s that are on my Nighthawk, so either model would be fine with me depending on price.

Good luck with the Colt, post pics when you can.
    Jack

I have 3 Colt Commanders and a Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander . I carry all in a ubgholster.com Nate makes a great holster at a good price,
    I also have several of the Compact 1911's But the Commander size is best all around Other than grips I leave pretty much alone.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

I have a 1991 Commander, and I love it. However, I don't carry it because the sharp edges on the front of the slide tear up my holsters more than I like, so I prefer not to use a leather holster with it, which means it doesn't get carried. I really like the gun though. I have it equipped with one of the big Hogue wraparound grips with finger grooves, which makes it great to shoot, but otherwise no modifications.

For a little over a year I've been carrying a Dan Wesson CBOB that's original except for slim Alumagrips. I don't see the need for the extended slide stop or mag release, but I doubt I'll change them. The extended thumb safety is nice, as is the beavertail, and the night sights are really nice to have.

I typically carry it in a Garrity holster, but I also have a K&D that works well.

B. Adams, is your Commander blue or stainless? If it's stainless a little fine grit sand paper or careful filing and you can deburr the muzzle end of your slide - or any sharp edges for that matter. If it's blue you can still do it but you'd need to refinish it afterward.

I forgot to mention in my last post, I briefly had a stainless ORM '91 Gov't back in 2002. Had to sell that one to cover some expenses but it sure was nice while I had it. Never a failure of any kind, hated to part with it. I took it to a gun show and didn't even make it in the door before it sold to a dealer for $500 - and HE came to ME!
    Jack

1911 colt

i don't but my uncle dose. i've shot it before. nice pistol imo.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Mine's parkerized, and in my opinion it's not worth refinishing, so I'm not going to worry about it. If I ever want to carry a Colt, I'll just get one that's already ready to go, the price difference between a 1991 and an XSE is only about $100.

One of my favorite CCW guns is a 1991 full size. I have done just about everything to it that can be done, and I'm probably still working on it or looking for stuff to do. I use it to try out new stuff, new modifications, etc, then I force myself to the range for a few hundred rounds of reliability testing. It's as accurate now as it was new. I carry it in an old Brommeland holster with a matching mag pouch and a good belt. The only problems I have ever had were caused by me, and I get to fix it anyway. Let me see:
    Wilson rear sight
    Wilson barrel and bushing
    bobbed hammer and grip safety
    rounded all the sharp edges
    FLGR (It shoots better with it, get over it)
    Shock buff (get over it)
    Ambi Muscheke safety
    recessed slide stop
    Titanium firing pin, safety plunger, cap, and hammer strut
    flat trigger by I forget who
    aluminum checkered arched MS housing
    custom grips (I switch between about 4 different pairs)
    engraved grip screws

I replace worn springs with Wolff when necessary. I replaced the barrel, bushing, and rear sight after they got damaged, I didn't need to, it still shot ok, but I was worried about the barrel crown and fit anyway. I need the ambi safety since I'm a lefty and I need the rounding job since I carry it a lot. All the rest is just for fun, practice, or showing off. I checked and don't have a pic, I'll try to get one tomorrow, I'm stuck at work today.

I have an early LW commander that I've carried since the late 1950's. I have no idea how many rounds I have put through it, but the barrel is pretty well shot out. For that reason I've retired it and now carry a Kahr MK9. I have another combat commander that is heavier than I want to carry so it is a nightstand gun. I've installed flat mainspring housings and a long trigger on all of my .45's.

Many many of my customers consider this to be the ultimate carry gun or 1911 carry gun. It is my weapon of choice when carrying a 1911.

Jess
    "Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com
    OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
    http://www.ontargetcgw.com

VIP Member
    I carried a Colt CCO (Commander slide, Officer frame) as my EDC for several years before I switched to a Glock Model 30 for that purpose. I still have it and will carry it if (heaven forbid) I must use the Glock in a self-defense situation and it sits in an evidence locker for a while. I have an Ayoob Rear Guard IWB for it. The only way I modified it was to install cocobolo "thin grips." It already had Novak-style sights, beavertail memory safety, and extended tactical safety. Sadly, Colt no longer manufactures that model.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

I carry a full size IWB and I love it! I keep trying to carry my lightweight Commander in its place but I always go back to the full size simply because I shoot is faster better, so.....if I have to pull her out I am confident in my actions with it.

I was saving for a commander size but honestly thinking of going for a Les Baer if I can get the scratch :)

If teh Commander is reliable, go for it! I like the wear marks from leather on a blued gun so I dont mind my shiney spots my gun shows :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links