Help with a Springfield XD40 SC

This is a discussion on Help with a Springfield XD40 SC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; An acquaintance called and wants to sell me a Springfield XD40 SC. He wants $400. Questions: Is this a fair price? How severe is the ...

Thread: Help with a Springfield XD40 SC

Help with a Springfield XD40 SC

An acquaintance called and wants to sell me a Springfield XD40 SC. He wants $400. Questions:

Is this a fair price?

How severe is the recoil?

Anything I should know about?

2. Remove Ads

M2
    I bud of mine just bought one new at a gun show for $430.

I steered him to the XD, I have XD45 Service and love it. The recoil on mine is no worse than any other .45 I've shot. I am very accurate with it (I've got about 1200 rounds through it), and it has never failed once. It is my primary carry weapon. XDs are some of the best polymer pistols made.

Offer him $350, as unless he has very few rounds through it, that isn't a great deal. It's not a bad one either, but it all depends on what kind of shape it is in and how many rounds he's put through it.

Cheers! M2

Thats close to the price of a new one. Offer less and if he doesn't take, add a few more $$ and get the XDM.

1. fair price.
    2. recoil is not bad at all. My wife shot mine (9mm) and didnt like it only due to her small hands. It has a fairly fat grip. Not too fat though.
    3. Nothing wierd about the XD platform at all. It shoots true pretty much out of the box.

BUY IT!!!

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I have one and it is a plush shooter. Very well made and the tolerances are very tight. $400 seems a little close to retail-used so see if you can't chisel him down a few bucks. Other than that I would say go for it because it is a great gun. Here's mine in an Alessi IWB on my desk at exam time.

I love mine. I don't carry it. "My Army Post allow it." But i would!! Shoots gr8!!! My wife just picked up a full size XD in .45ACP. SHE LOVES IT!!!

Administrator
    Used XD's are a dime a dozen, 400 is to high. They are decent first pistols.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My friend bought his first handgun friday ended up with a 9mm xd with the plastic case, extra clip, cartridge holder, and holster, (all the stuff XD includes) he paid 499

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I am with everyone else on this one. Price is a bit high, talk him down a little and buy it. As for the recoil, if you have shot a
    40SW in the past and had no problem than it will not be a problem now. My XD45 compact is not much bigger and I can't tell the difference in recoil between it and a 1911.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

The recoil isn't bad, but sharper than a 45 (I have both a 40SC and a 45C). If you have larger hands, the extended mag is the way to go as it's easier to grip. Harder to conceal though. The 40 will most definitely kick harder than the 9. High power self-defense loads will be interesting, but not intolerable as in something like a Kahr PM40. I have a Kahr MK40, steel frame, and I cannot shoot Double Tap out of it. Too hot and I get FTE/FTF from the recoil forcing "limp wristing". The Double Tap shoots fine out of the 40SC though.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
    My XD45 compact is not much bigger and I can't tell the difference in recoil between it and a 1911.
    Mike
    Try shooting a 3" 1911 with full power SD loads and say that! Much more "fun" than the 45C.

Links