Either I need more practice or....

This is a discussion on Either I need more practice or.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just can't seem to shoot .45 ACP as well as 9mm. I've owned three 1911s, and two XD45 Service models, all chambered for the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Either I need more practice or....

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

I just can't seem to shoot .45 ACP as well as 9mm. I've owned three 1911s, and two XD45 Service models, all chambered for the ever so popular .45 ACP cartridge. I always shoot to the left with .45, but I'm mostly dead on with 9mm. The only .45 I own right now is my 2nd XD, and I really want to hang on to it, and make it a carry gun, but there is no way I'm going to carry it if I can't shoot it that well. I think I'll just practice some more, and see what happens. I really like the 45 ACP because the recoil is more like a push than a snap unlike the .40 S&W.

Should I just give up on .45 and stick with 9mm, or practice more?

For now my Glock 19 remains my carry piece of choice.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Maybe it is that you shoot Glocks better than the other brands. Many people do. You said you owned XDs and 1911s but nothing mentioned about Glock 45s. So it might be worth your time to try some of the Glock 45s before giving up on that caliber. I have a Glock and an XD and they shoot very different. The XD took more time for me to get accustomed to then the Glock.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I have never owned any of the Glock .45 pistols, but have held them in my hands. They all seem too thick for my hands. I had originally intended to purchase a G21SF before I bought my 2nd XD45 (first one was sold due to financial troubles). I am looking at the SIG P220, but have heard they have a high bore axis, which could affect accuracy. I really do like the Glock's low bore axis, but just wish the grips on them were just a tad bit smaller.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

IMO, if you really want to carry the .45, I'd put the G19 up for a while and only practice with the XD. Put in some good range sessions & I'll bet you show improvement.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

I'm the same way. By a good margin, the most-accurate pistols that I have found invariably end up being mid-sized 9mm with 10+ rounds. Likely, it's something about the balance and relative recoil as compared to others. I'm open to anything, so long as it meets my basic criteria, but the features/accuracy/reliability has always ended up 9's. Go figure.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

1. You can never get enough practice.

2. Lots of variables here up to and including how you hold the pistol

3. Have you tried the middle ground - .40 S&W?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Try using a laser sight as a training aid. Seeing the dot move as you are squeezing the trigger will be a real eye opener and will help you get to your problem quickly. Chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    1. You can never get enough practice.

2. Lots of variables here up to and including how you hold the pistol

3. Have you tried the middle ground - .40 S&W?
    I have tried the .40 S&W, but not a big fan of it. I like 9mm and .45 ACP the most, but shoot 9 the best. I know shot placement is paramount over anything else, but it's just something about the .45 that I like. Until I can shoot my XD45 as well as 9mm, I'm going to continue to carry 9mm. Practicing gets expensive with the 45 real quick LOL. I really should start reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by crankshop1000 View Post
    Try using a laser sight as a training aid. Seeing the dot move as you are squeezing the trigger will be a real eye opener and will help you get to your problem quickly. Chuck.
    +1
    My CT laser grip was the biggest training aid I ever purchased.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

A laser sounds like a good idea, thanks for the tip! Does anyone like those internal guide rod lasers?

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    I have never owned any of the Glock .45 pistols, but have held them in my hands. They all seem too thick for my hands. I had originally intended to purchase a G21SF before I bought my 2nd XD45 (first one was sold due to financial troubles). I am looking at the SIG P220, but have heard they have a high bore axis, which could affect accuracy. I really do like the Glock's low bore axis, but just wish the grips on them were just a tad bit smaller.
    You are just like me at the beginning of last year. My .45's were all Kimbers. I thought that Glocks looked and felt like bricks...then I picked up the Glock-36, and I immediately loved a Glock.
    I have never had a problem shooting my 1911's, but then...they are Kimbers...had to throw that in...

My Glock-36 is as smooth a shooter as my Kimbers. I choose to carry the G-36 when I'm on my Harley...my Harley gun.
    The grip on the G-36 is much thinner than all the other Glocks, and the grip angle is also different from the Kimber...it doesn't seem to bother me. I practice with both the Kimber Ultra and the Glock-36 and feel equally comfortable with either as my EDC.

Recently, I even purchased the Glock-26 (a great CC weapon). If you asked me if I would buy a Glock 2 years ago, I would have just laughed.

Stay armed...try the G-36...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

+1 For using the laser as a training aid. I would not have one for self defense because I am sure if it was really needed it my battery would be dead.

Try focusing on your sight and slowly change the position of your finger on the trigger, shift your grip minutely, and different grip pressure all the time watching how your sight moves.

My P220 is as accurate as my Kimber and for some reason the Equinox trigger has been awesome! BTW . . . My favorite caliber is a .40.

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    Should I just give up on .45 and stick with 9mm, or practice more?
    I think you should maybe try an H&K in 45 and also possibly hone the crown on your barrel - you can DIY that easily with a grinding ball wrapped with a oiled 3M gray pad [synthetic steel wool] on a cordless drill. You might also check to make sure you are pulling the trigger with the pad of your trigger finger and not at the first joint...I tend to do this alot and it does make things go left.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

The Glock 19 is an incredible gun: The weight, balance, sight radius and consistent trigger pull combined with the lower recoil of the 9mm round in general make it one of those guns that's a dream to shoot, as well as carry. I'm not a huge Glock fan by any means but I do think the 19 is possibly their best model and it's the only Glock I own.

I'm a 1911 shooter by nature and after roughly 15 years of shooting them, it's the platform that I perform best with. I prefer the light, crisp trigger to anything else I've tried. Yes, the .45acp has more recoil than the 9mm but I very rarely shoot more than 200 rounds during a range trip because at that point I'm just tired enough that I end up practicing bad habits.

For me personally, the biggest difference in feel between a Glock trigger (or most other guns for that matter) and a 1911 is the direction of travel: The Glock trigger travels in a sweeping arc while the 1911 offers a straight line pull (Para LDAs not withstanding). For whatever reason, that difference has a huge effect on my shooting. My point here is, there's more than just caliber difference at work here and you may be experiencing the same effects as me - but with opposite results. That doesn't mean I think one design is better than the other (gasp!), just that one or the other design will probably work better for each shooter.

I think if you really want to investigate the full range of possibilities, you need to not only try out a .45 Glock but also a 9mm 1911. I'd think a 9mm Commander would be the one to try (if you can find one), that way you're comparing 4"-ish guns consistently. I don't think you need to give up on the .45 caliber by any means, just maybe do some experimenting and see what happens. If all else fails, it'll just validate your choice of the Glock 19 as "your" perfect weapon.
    Jack
    Last edited by maclean3; October 12th, 2008 at 12:46 PM.

My crimson trace grip is excellent for training and even better for self-defense purposes, helps acquire the target immediately without having to look down the sight picture!
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links