Gun for someone who does not train nearly enough.

This is a discussion on Gun for someone who does not train nearly enough. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tell your friend to buy a shotgun. It won't fit in the drawer and it can defend his home or dispatch critters. If he won't ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun for someone who does not train nearly enough.

Gun for someone that does not train

Tell your friend to buy a shotgun. It won't fit in the drawer and it can defend his home or dispatch critters. If he won't train with the handgun he has,chances are he won't train with a wheelgun.

2. Remove Ads

put a little bleach in that and you can do some damage, or at least mark the BG so the police locate him right after finding the body (and the real gun in the drawer)

Go with a good revolver, If he puts it in the drawer and never shoots it, sell them both and buy a sheep skin rug, he'll be in good company then.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

I have all but fixed motivation to shoot problem(I never said he refused to train he loves to shoot). I do understand the need for training, so the squirt gun & sheepskin references do really nothing in the quest for advice. A simple hardware question has turned into B/S, Oh I love forums sometimes. thank you all that have offered constructive advice.

Administrator
    OK... if he likes to shoot, shoot often and make the "training" part a game. Bet him a dollar (or come up with other form of motivation) that you can knock the plates down faster than he can etc. Use your imagination.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Blademan21 View Post
    Tell your friend to buy a shotgun. It won't fit in the drawer and it can defend his home or dispatch critters. If he won't train with the handgun he has,chances are he won't train with a wheelgun.
    Yep - best advice yet. You don't need much practice to use an 18 inch barrel pump shotgun effectively.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
    Yep - best advice yet. You don't need much practice to use an 18 inch barrel pump shotgun effectively.
    But if he doesnt train with a handgun, he'll be worse off with a shotgun.

Powerful weapon+larger physical size+a completly new platform+no training=a bad idea
    "Just blame Sixto"

Water pistol...

Get him a revolver or a shotgun. Then tell him he will die or kill a person if he doesn't practice.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I would recommend first getting rid of the HP "clone"... it ain't a real HP, so don't expect it to act like one. Trade it, sell it...get rid of it!

The revolver thing may not be a bad idea, or any more reliable semi-auto. If your friend is a one gun customer, then go for the highest quality/reliability/cs that can be afforded. For his needs, particularly if he doesn't "carry", any high end 4-6" wheel gun would probably fit his needs well.

For a one gun person, as you described, I wouldn't touch the shotgun suggestion.

just my opinions

surv

I would recommend a medium or large frame revolver. The first gun I picked up at a range was a revolver like that and I was able to hit targets right away (good way to get started and some confidence... ).
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Administrator
    A revolver is great, but its actually harder to pick one up out of the sock drawer and shoot with any amount of skill compared to an auto, and a HP is rather easy to shoot with some degree of accuracy.
    Training is far more than shooting, a proper well rounded program in only 2/10's shooting, the rest is pistol craft and tactics. A shiny new and maybe simpler hammer will not make a better carpenter, only practice will create skill.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Your right some answers were BS, part of mine was, sorry, humor is always an ingredient I throw in..even when it's not appreciated.

The thing you never mention is how does HE feel about the HP clone, If he manipluates it OK, and if HE likes it, If he does and you have help him increase his training time where is the problem.

What you really need to do is take your friend to a well stocked firearms store and have HIM manipulate any firearm within what HIS/or your price range is.

What feel good to HIM might not feel right to you or me. Asking some one which gun is good for someone else is like asking what color should be my favorite. What you will get is the other person's favorite color.

most don't get to hung up on caliber except for the extreme on either end. It's what ever fits within HIS power vs control-abilty range that is important..

And to really anwser your hardware question, Yes a .357 is an excellent round, and there are many good choices (Firearms & Ammo) out there, hence the trip to the store to test drive.

But if he switches to revolver then HE must train shooting it double action. If HE likes the way the firearms feel in HIS hand, It meets HIS power vs control-ability requirements & HE comes proficent with double action then YOUR worries should subside.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by bigmike13 View Post
    I guess its just concern for my friend and the bi*$h of a safety on that Hi power clone, I even had trouble working it.
    Cylinder & Slide extended HP safety. Should be around $100 installed.

Hey TapRackBang, no offense taken at the humor. Gotta love the wonderful interpersonal skills that are practiced during internet communications. He is hit or miss about his HP clone. I Have a feeling that considering the size of this guys Mits he will enjoy the revolver but who knows when preference comes into play. In talking with another friend, he is willing to loan him and I his .357 So we will see how he likes it, and I will report back how it goes. I thought about the extended safety, it would end up costing more than he paid for the gun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links