Quewstion about G19 sight

This is a discussion on Quewstion about G19 sight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a G19 that I plan on carrying as soon as my permit arrives(Texas, so who knows when that will be ). Anyway, I ...

Thread: Quewstion about G19 sight

Quewstion about G19 sight

I have a G19 that I plan on carrying as soon as my permit arrives(Texas, so who knows when that will be).

Anyway, I want night sights for carry, but I love the fatory sight style; so I'm thinking of getting a steel factory rear sight and just a tritium front sight.
    I think this would give me the same sight picture as factory but better visability at night.

I'd like to hear everyones opinion on this idea, and if anyone has their gun set up this?
    Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Putting a front night sight only is very common.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I find three tritium dots floating in front of me is confusing. Front sight only makes sense. At most self defense ranges, that will be plenty good.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I bought my G19 early this year. All my other Glocks got night sights installed shortly after I got them, but my G19 still has the factory sights on it for now. I carry it as often as I do my G27 in the summertime. I never actually thought about just doing a front NS only. That is rather appealing me in a way now. My home/nighttime pistols have NS and that's what's mainly important for me. My G19 will probably sport the originals for a while longer though.

I liked the rear factory sight so I just replaced the front on my G19. I put on an Ameriglo and am very happy with it.

Here's a review on a course I recently attended that utilizes NO sights. Very helpful!
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ng-review.html
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

AZ, that class sounds awesome but unfortunately that probably won't be in the budget in the near future.

RamRod, I have a 1911 with night sights that I have been using on the nightstand but I'm looking at moving exclusively to the 19. So I need something I can see at night and it'll probably get a light mounted on it for nightstand duty. I think just a front night sight would be perfect though.

I'm glad to see some other people think this is a good idea. I think I'm going to give it a try.

Detroit9mm, did you go with the green front sight or do you prefer another color?
    Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy45 View Post
    AZ, that class sounds awesome but unfortunately that probably won't be in the budget in the near future.

RamRod, I have a 1911 with night sights that I have been using on the nightstand but I'm looking at moving exclusively to the 19. So I need something I can see at night and it'll probably get a light mounted on it for nightstand duty. I think just a front night sight would be perfect though.

I'm glad to see some other people think this is a good idea. I think I'm going to give it a try.

Detroit9mm, did you go with the green front sight or do you prefer another color?
    My night time/home pistols are the full size G17 or G22 with M-6 tac light/laser mounted on the rail. Those also have night sights installed. I do a lot of house clearing exercises with the attached light in momentary mode. Since the M-3 may cost as much or more than a complete set of night sights for your G19, I still recommend going for this first. For me, the Glocks point naturally in my hand, just like pointing at something with my finger, to an object, or a sound. I like to identify my possible target as well, and the light from the M-3 or M-6 will do that as well as temporarily blind whomever stands in it's way. A rail light will also allow you to sweep the area outside and have tour pistol with you at the same time. To heck with carrying a flashlight and pistol using both hands! Also, operating the light in momentary mode keeps my finger off the trigger until subject is identified with the light. I'm already on target at this point, but that's where the front sight only tritium may do well, but I'm milliseconds away from pulling the trigger anyway, or going to defcon 4. Most of the time, I rely on both tac light and night sights. I've been known to keep the G27 under my pillow with night sights front and rear. If you are looking into an affordable way to add night sights to your pistol, the front sight replacement is still a very good option alone considering your intended purpose.

If I used notch-and-post sights, I'd probably just go with a tritium front. In fact, on the gun I'm issued for work, I blacked-out the rear vials with a Sharpie-marker to make it easier to focus on the front.

Of course, I recommend XS Big-dots over notch-and-post sights...
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Thanks for the info guys.

I plan on replacing the front sight and adding a rail light for night duty, not just one or the other.

Kenpo Tex. I just shot my G19 in an IDPA match for the first time this weekend and I could pick up the white U and dot amazingly fast. I didn't like the sights when I first bought the gun but after shooting it in the match, I'm hooked.
    George S. Patton

I've got three dot Meprolites on my G23...Good! I've got the XS Big Dot [dot the I] on my G36...Better and alot quicker on target!

Links