S&w 642

This is a discussion on S&w 642 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have always been an Auto guy. I was at the gun shop today and was looking at the S&W revolvers. I'm thinking about getting ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&w 642

S&w 642

I have always been an Auto guy. I was at the gun shop today and was looking at the S&W revolvers. I'm thinking about getting the 642 for the rare times I can't carry IWB. My questions are.....

Is it easy to pocket carry one of these revolvers?

What are the best options for pocket holsters?

I've seen mentioned about the lock feature the newer ones have. It seems most don't like it. Why is this? Is it a reliability problem?

I'm sure most of these questions have been mentioned many times. I did a search on 642 and got many many posts. I started reading some and that's where I read about some not liking the lock feature but no one said why.
    Last edited by sbebenelli; October 13th, 2008 at 08:52 AM. Reason: spelling

2. Remove Ads

One of the best purchases I ever made.

Pocket carry is easy - Nemisis holster.

Lock has been no problem.

Practice, the practice, and then, did I mention practice. A bunch different than my 1911 or my Glock 23.

Pocket carry is not so easy in jeans. Cargo pants is a go as long as the pocket is deep enough. The front not the side pocket.
    Holsters..Uncle Mikes, Mika's, etc.
    The lock, well if I could trade for one w/o, I most certainly would. It doesn't follow the KISS method (Keep its simple stupid) and it's just one more thing to go wrong.
    Practice is RIGHT! I find it difficult to shoot w/ any precision, good enough at 7yds though.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

You can bet that a Model 642 without the lock will never become tied up due to a lock malfunction. Lock models can and have. I won't own a Smith & Wesson revolver with a lock.

Permanent lock topic thread from the Smith & Wesson forum.
    Post Your Integral Lock Induced Failures (ILIF). - Topic Powered by eve community

My Model 642 is fine for pocket carry. I have a Nemesis holster and have borrowed and tried a Mika holster. I preferred the Mika.

In cooler weather I like the Model 642 in a jacket pocket with no holster.

I got one for my girlfriend who has wrist joint issues. It's a stiff recoil, but no problem for her with low recoil rounds. I simply removed the stupid lock mechanism. Now that they're making them without the lock, the models with the lock will become virtually worthless on the resale market. Who wants more mechanism to break down in a crisis?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I've not had a problem with the lock and it really does not concern me that much. If it bothers you, check out the S&W catalog, they now offer the 442 and 642 in it without the IL.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I think the lock problem has only happened on the P&M models and with +P or even +P+ loads. I don't think there's a documented case with a 642. I might be wrong on this, though. My 642 has the lock. I wish it weren't there, but it's not a big deal. If I were you, and if I could wait, I'd track one down without it.

I've ordered a Mika round cut pocket holster based on lots of raving reviews. I've not tried it yet.

Ammo for most favor Corbon DPX +P and Speer Short Barrel Gold Dot +P. Another school of thought is that hollowpoints don't reliably expand from 2" barrels in the real world, and that standard pressure 148 gr. wadcutters are more controllable and just as effective. Read lots and make up you own mind. No matter your choice, a 642 beats a 380.

Until my holster arrives, I am carrying holsterless in the pockets of Carhartts and BDUs. Both are comfortable and neither prints enough to worry about.

I think the 642 is the best pocket gun you can buy.

SW now selling 642 and 442 with no locks as part of their regular offerings.

- OS

I carry a 642 daily. Always pocket carry, using several different pocket holsters, they all work fine. Haggar and Dockers in khaki and corduroys work. Try for the more relaxed fit and pleats if you can get them. I carry a 60 with a Carry Clip in the waistband when I wear jeans. I usually have a loose shirt or sweatshirt on anyways with jeans and it covers weapon fine. I leave the clip on and the 60 is a dedicated "jeans gun". I usually wear an undershirt with the 60, just for a little sweat protection.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Distinguished Member
    S&W is offering a $30 rebate on the 642 and on some other J frame
    revolvers until the end of Dec. I use a Mika pocket holster, it is cheap
    and works great. I can carry it in jeans, but it is a pocket full. I also wear my shirt untucked when I wear jeans because the grip shows a little.
    Attached Images

In contrast to the "anti lock" crowd, I have two with locks, no problems, and will keep them since they will someday be a rarity and highly-valued by S&W revo collectors....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    The 642 is one of if not the most popular CCW revolver on the market for a very good reason......they are just outstanding for CCW. Lite, easy to hide and reliable. Just what the Doctor ordered.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Ron
    642 with a Mika. Easy all day carry in complete comfort. No printing for me in either cargo or chino type shorts and pants. Use the square cut for cargo and round cut for others. Even works with looser fitting dress pants.

And, the holster stays in the pocket when you draw the gun.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

The 642 with a IWB uncle mikes is hard to beat for comfort. +1 on the Mika pocket holster too.

"Permanent lock topic thread from the Smith & Wesson forum.
    Post Your Integral Lock Induced Failures (ILIF). - Topic Powered by eve community"

Old thread - anything more current?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links