Dan Wesson Bobtail 1911 vs HK45 CCW

This is a discussion on Dan Wesson Bobtail 1911 vs HK45 CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For when I can conceal a gun larger than my G19 or just want to have a .45acp with me, which would be the better ...

Thread: Dan Wesson Bobtail 1911 vs HK45 CCW

For when I can conceal a gun larger than my G19 or just want to have a .45acp with me, which would be the better choice. The HK45 is a full size (not the compact version). I own both so I won't be spending money either way, except holster.

Both can be carried Condition 1 btw. Below is a quick rundown of the major differences.

The 1911 is heavier.
    The HK45 has a longer barrel
    The 1911 is longer by a bit.
    The HK45 has more height (grip length).
    The HK45 measures thinner at the slide area including the slide release lever.
    The HK45 holds more rounds (+2 capacity).
    The 1911 has a better trigger.
    The HK45 does not have tritium night sights or any company producing 3 dot night sights for it yet.

Overall I think the 1911 would conceal slightly better being bobtailed, but the HK45 would be a bit lighter and might hold up slightly better on the finish. Assuming I can conceal both just fine, which would make the better one to carry? Do I go for weight + capacity or the better trigger and shorter grip area?

Lead Moderator
    I recommend the HK. Due to weight, round count capacity and finish.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

CBOB, no question, but then again I'm a 1911 bigot. For the money, the CBOB is one of the best mass-produced 1911's on the market. It's like 80% an Ed Brown gun, for less than $1K. My only (minor) complaint from a carry standpoint is weight -- I wish CZ made an alloy-frame version. My new Kimber Pro CDP carries so much lighter than my Combat Commander that I just can't see going back to an all steel full-size frame 1911 for EDC.

That said, had I not just bought the Pro CDP, I would have likely bought a CBOB. Everyone I've spoken with or read about the CBOB has raved about it. When I can add yet another 1911 to the roundup, it will most likely be a CBOB.

That's not to say HK isn't great, it certainly is. I'm just partial to 1911's.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

Get the CBOB - its been my EDC for two years, you will not be disappointed. The finish? Its SS man, darn near impervious. I leave mine in the holster in my bedside safe everynight and it has NO issues.

I was an 1911 aficionado, but the HK45 changed that for me. The HK45 simply feels great in my hand.

The only quality the 1911 has over the HK45 is a better trigger; however, I only shoot and carry my HK45 in SA. The HK45 shoots softer than my 1911 (though recoil is subjective). Both the 1911 and the HK45 are superbly accurate weapons. The HK45 will never have a crisp trigger like a well-tuned 1911 (and no gun really does, IMO), but there are gunsmiths who can preform trigger jobs on the HK45 if you so desire.

What I really like about the HK45 is that it is dead-nuts reliable. It is to .45ACP what the Glock 17 is to 9mm.

The longer barrel shouldn't make much difference for concealment, but the length of the grip will...you make the call.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to hear a few thoughts. I decided to carry the HK45 due to weight savings. IWB it's concealable...not very difficult either.

Why choose just one? You already have the guns. As long as you are proficient with both guns, you could just buy two holsters and carry them both at different times.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

The tart sweetness of the apple is far superior to the citric acidity of the orange. Not to mention the firm texture of the apple when compared to the spongy, pulpy, juiciness of the orange. Not having to peel it is a huge advantage in my book, as well.

I don't see how you could reach any conclusion other than that the apple is clearly superior.

You tell me which one the apple is, and that's the one you should go with.

Joe

Throw this into the equasion and now what happens?

Yikes! Strawberries anyone?

Joe

The 1911 is a smaller pistol and thinner then the HK. The USP45 was a huge pistol. You need to figure out what you shoot best with though.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I'm an HK owner and I don't think you can find a finer pistol. However, when comparing to a good 1911, personal preference is a major factor. If you are not pre-programed towards 1911's, I think the HK will do the best job for you.

The 1911 has personality and class. The HK is a thing that works well. You decide.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Sponsored Links