Carrying Steel vs Poly

This is a discussion on Carrying Steel vs Poly within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys, I hope this is the right place for this post... So im picking out my first handgun, and i like two. the CZ ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying Steel vs Poly

Carrying Steel vs Poly

Hi guys,

I hope this is the right place for this post...

So im picking out my first handgun, and i like two. the CZ 75b 9mm and the M&P 9mm. obviously very different guns. I plan to shoot alot at the range, but also i would like to carry now and again to see if its something i plan to do all the time. i loved the CZ when i first saw it but read that it was not MA compliant so i gave up on it. then my local shop had one that was MA comp, and got me loving it again.

my prob is im afraid that the weight of the steel frame might be heavy to carry. i love the balance of the gun compared to the top heavy feeling of the polymer pistols. although the M&P does feel nice in the hand. if i decide to carry all the time i will probably end up buying a compact polymer .45 down the road, like next spring or something.

i am 6'1 and about 225 and will be carrying it in a concealed owb holster.

will the cz be fine to carry or am i worried about nothing?

2. Remove Ads

I think either will work for you. A good, quality belt and holster will help support either sidearm.

I wouldn't worry too much, most certinly if it's going to stay in an OWB holster.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

JD
    Administrator
    With the right belt/holster combo, the weight is a non-issue as long as you don't have any physical disabilities that would matter in a couple more ounces on your side. I regularly carry a steel frame .45 and with a good belt and holster I don't have any issues. My steel frame hi-cap nine is lighter than my .45s, thus I have even less of an issue when carrying that gun.

It's all about what you're using to carry it in.

If you have a non-sturdy belt/holster, the poly framed gun will carry much better.

I agree it's mostly about the carry system you have. I carry a .45 with a Ti slide and frame so it's a bit lighter, but it also holds 6 more rounds than your standard 1911 so that makes up for some of the weight. It took me a few holsters and belts to find something I didn't mind having on me for extended periods but after you find the right combo your gun should just melt away like your wallet does. (for the most part)

I'm sure you'll be able to carry it. Anyone your size should have no real trouble carrying a full size steel auto, provided you have a proper holster AND belt. Don't underestimate the importance of a good gun belt, especially for heavy handguns! The Beltman is your friend.

I'm a big guy myself, a bit bigger than you (taller and heavier) and I've carried a steel Combat Commander for 10+ years. With the right holster (such as my current MTAC) I hardly know it's there. That said, I just got a new Kimber Pro CDP this weekend, which is nearly half a pound lighter with its alloy frame, and I can definitely tell a difference. Once I get used to it (it needs to break in so it will be awhile before the Kimber is ready for EDC), I don't know if I'll want to go back to carrying a steel frame again -- it's going to seem a lot heavier now.

I also have a Sparks VMII on order, which should also make steel much easier to carry. Again, seek out a holster AND belt that works for you, and you should have no problems with the CZ. You said you want to wear it OWB, which is fine with a good belt but be aware that a full-size gun is going to conceal better on most people IWB, which will also tend to make the weight less noticeable due to the increased support that most quality IWB's provide.

If you're willing to consider IWB, know that buying something like a new Sparks VMII (unless you pay an inflated premium) will have you waiting 5-6 months for it, but you can pick up an MTAC in the meantime and have it in a week or two. Or if you prefer all-leather IWB instead of a hybrid like the MTAC, many also consider the K&D Dakota Defender to be a good alternative to the VMII, and it's both cheaper and faster to get. If I didn't already have an MTAC, and the VMII on order, I'd probably go for the Dakota Defender myself.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

I have both steel and plastic...with a good holster and a firm tight belt...either works well.
    It's the carry system, not the gun...

Stay armed...use good equipment...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

wow thanks for the fast replys guys! i plan to purchase some quality carry gear. been looking at a few options, but havent made up my mind yet.

do you think the CZ 75b would be a good first carry gun? i have read great things about it. doesnt seem to have great aftermarket support though.

VIP Member
    As everyone else has said, with a good belt holster combo, carry of a steel frame should be no problem. As to the 75B for a carry gun, I find it a little bulky for my liking. Until recently my carry gun was either a CZ75 P-01 or P-06. Both are just a little bit smaller than the 75B, but they are both decocker model guns. If you want a gun with manual safety look at the 75 Compact. Dimensions are roughly 1" shorter and 1" less in height.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Third alternative

The poster asked about steel vs. polymer framed guns because he is considering one from each category. But there is a third alternative not mentioned, that of aluminum frame, which tends to split the weight difference between steel and polymer.

Quite a few good CCW guns are aluminum frame, including the Sig P series, most S&W semiautos, lightweight 1911s from Colt, Kimber and Springfield, and many others. Aluminum has a little more "solid" feel than polymer and gives a weight distribution closer to an all steel gun. Some of my favorite carry guns are aluminum frame.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Another good choice for an alloy framed 1911 is the Scandium-framed S&W SW1911PD, a Commander model available in regular Gunsite, and Crimson Trace versions. Scandium is reportedly stronger than aluminum alloy, at the same weight. Actually the 4.25" S&W is the same weight as my 4" Kimber Pro CDP (28oz unloaded), so inch for inch it's probably a bit lighter than aluminum. Reviews have been pretty high, and it's definitely on my wish list for expanding the 1911 collection. A bit pricey perhaps, at around $860 and $940 street price here for the regular and Gunsite model, respectively. Still $200 cheaper than a Kimber CDP though.
    Last edited by dmorris68; October 13th, 2008 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Added links
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

TOF
    Don't forget you can use suspenders to aid the belt. Some of us old guy's that have waists bigger than our hips can't keep anything up with only a belt. I am 6' 2" and 245 Lb.

I carry an M&P40 IWB so you can guess what I reccomend.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    Don't forget you can use suspenders to aid the belt. Some of us old guy's that have waists bigger than our hips can't keep anything up with only a belt. I am 6' 2" and 245 Lb.
    Heh, we're probably shaped different, but I'm 6'2 and 265lb. I don't have a problem using just a belt, especially a quality belt, with either IWB or OWB carry. I'm hoping I don't have to wear suspenders any time soon!
    David

I agree with others saying that the 75B is a bit too large for carry. It is a great range gun though - so is the CZ-40B. Weight is a lesser problem, but size does matter. What I suggest is have your shop get you a 75c - the steel framed compact version. This is one of my favorites and what I should have bought two guns ago.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Administrator
    DITTO: a stiff & sturdy gun belt and a top quality holster will distribute the weight of the firearm. Makes all the difference in the world.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

thanks everyone for the input! Since my hands are too big to shoot a compact on a regular basis I'm going to stick with a full size. I will check out some aluminum frames. I'd love a 1911 but too much money right now plus I want to start with a 9mm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links