Private sale?

This is a discussion on Private sale? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im planning on buying a p-32 online from a private sellor how would I go about shipping. Do I go first to the ffl fill ...

Thread: Private sale?

Private sale?

Im planning on buying a p-32 online from a private sellor how would I go about shipping. Do I go first to the ffl fill out paperwork and then have it sent? Do I have it sent and then do the paper work? I've never bout a gun before and have no history with the ffl so please help. How does it work?

2. Remove Ads

Notify the FFL person/dealer that will be receiving the gun. Make sure that they will accept from a non FFL individual. Go to your dealer and fill out the necessary paper work and pay their fee for the transfer.
    One man with a gun can control 100 without one.
    Vladimir Lenin

You will need your dealer to fax over a copy of his/her FFL to the seller's dealer. Most dealers around here charge $50 to handle the transfer - but I finally found one that will do it for $20 - so shop around. Pretty easy. Just don't get ate up in shipping and paying 2 FFL charges - sometimes a good deal on the front ends up not being as such once all fees and shipping is included.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    Most dealers around here charge $50 to handle the transfer - but I finally found one that will do it for $20 - so shop around.
    $50 for a transfer? Ouch Flyboy, you should stop in around Dalton. Nearly all the dealers in town charge $20 or $25, with Grant's Sporting Goods charging only $15. I'll tend to use Dalton Pawnbrokers ($20) as it's across the street from my office downtown and I can just walk over there during lunch, but if I'm going to be out and about I'll save the $5 and use Grant's.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

A person should be able to find transfer fees charged by local FFL holders on the internet. Just google your city for FFL holders. Transfer fees around these parts go $15-$20.

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris68 View Post
    $50 for a transfer? Ouch Flyboy, you should stop in around Dalton. Nearly all the dealers in town charge $20 or $25, with Grant's Sporting Goods charging only $15. I'll tend to use Dalton Pawnbrokers ($20) as it's across the street from my office downtown and I can just walk over there during lunch, but if I'm going to be out and about I'll save the $5 and use Grant's.
    I purchased my Glock 27 from Grants. They usually have good prices. Just a little far to drive from Ringgold. If you have ever been to the only gun store I know of in Ringgold - you know this guy is always high.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    I purchased my Glock 27 from Grants. They usually have good prices. Just a little far to drive from Ringgold. If you have ever been to the only gun store I know of in Ringgold - you know this guy is always high.
    Ah, only gun store means he can charge what he wants, LOL.

Yeah I like Grants, their prices are usually very competitive, and JP is a good kid to deal with if you ever stop by there again. But for some reason they have trouble getting in some guns. They sold their last Kimber Pro CDP just a few days before I was ready to buy mine. JP had a complete set of CDP's on order for a couple weeks, said it usually took a month to turn around a Kimber order. Called Timber Ghost down the road in Calhoun, he said he can get anything from Kimber in 2 days, and sure enough, he did. Not sure why Grant's took so long being a Master Dealer too, but I have an idea. Anyway Timber Ghost not only beat Grant's but actually beat Bud's too (well, before the sales tax anyway). Overall a VERY nice experience. If you're ever down there, tell Jody I said hello, he's their gun sales guy and resident gunsmith, as well as former LEO. Calhoun isn't that much farther for me than Grants, maybe another 15-20 minutes down I-75. I'd say you're even closer than that to Dalton, so what's your excuse now?
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Typically, online auction houses such as gunbroker.com have FFL holders listed by zip code and you can find one that way. If the seller has a FFL he can send the gun directly to your dealer, just include a signed copy of your dealers FFL with your payment. If the seller does not have a FFL, make sure your dealer will accept the gun from him as some dealers accept only from FFL holders. In such a case the seller would have to ship through a dealer in his state. Now if both you and the seller live in Florida, you could pick it up directly from him.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Easy to arrange...it's gonna' cost ya'...use a gun shop you normally do business with...they may just help you out.l
    My gun shop makes transfers real easy...and they know me...no problems.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris68 View Post
    Ah, only gun store means he can charge what he wants, LOL.

Yeah I like Grants, their prices are usually very competitive, and JP is a good kid to deal with if you ever stop by there again. But for some reason they have trouble getting in some guns. They sold their last Kimber Pro CDP just a few days before I was ready to buy mine. JP had a complete set of CDP's on order for a couple weeks, said it usually took a month to turn around a Kimber order. Called Timber Ghost down the road in Calhoun, he said he can get anything from Kimber in 2 days, and sure enough, he did. Not sure why Grant's took so long being a Master Dealer too, but I have an idea. Anyway Timber Ghost not only beat Grant's but actually beat Bud's too (well, before the sales tax anyway). Overall a VERY nice experience. If you're ever down there, tell Jody I said hello, he's their gun sales guy and resident gunsmith, as well as former LEO. Calhoun isn't that much farther for me than Grants, maybe another 15-20 minutes down I-75. I'd say you're even closer than that to Dalton, so what's your excuse now?
    I have had my eye on a Ultra Carry CDP II for awhile.

But back to the OP - It is a very easy process to purchase and ship a gun. Just do your home work. I picked up a Glock 21 from MI - the guy wanted to sell quick - so he picked up the shipping and his FFL fees - I picked up my FFL fees - turned out I saved about $50-$75 over a new gun purchased locally.

Links