My new toys

This is a discussion on My new toys within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've mentioned getting a couple new guns a few days ago (Friday), and finally got around to taking a pic. Pardon the cheap Gerber Paraframe, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new toys

My new toys

I've mentioned getting a couple new guns a few days ago (Friday), and finally got around to taking a pic.

Pardon the cheap Gerber Paraframe, but hey, it's a decent piece of cutlery for the price, and all gun pron needs a knife in the shot, eh?

(click for the full size 10MP version)

So far I've only fired about 80 rounds through the Kimber and 30 through the G26, as I got to the range late and our club rules prohibit firing after dark.

The Kimber was straight from the factory (as are all new Kimbers nowadays, no more distributors), ordered on Wednesday and delivered on Friday, so it should be fresh off the line. As expected, it was tight and will need some break-in to be 100% reliable, but surprisingly it did very well considering. Fired about 20 rounds 230gr HydraShoks (finished up my stash since switching to HST), the rest WWB 230gr ball. No FTE's, one FTF, and 3-4 times the slide failed to go fully into battery. A single slap on the mag butt seated it fully each time. This was without being cleaned & lubed prior to shooting, I went virtually straight from the dealer to the range. It came from the factory very wet so I thought I'd see what it would do as-is. I used the stock 7rd mag, two 8rd MCC Shooting Star mags that came with my Combat Commander, and an 8rd Wilson 47D. All performed well with the limited testing so far. Offhand at 7 yards it grouped into about 2-3 inches, pulling about an inch to the left but vertically dead center to POA-- probably due to me not being used to the trigger and getting a bit too much finger on it. I plan to put it on a rest next time to verify POA/POI. Overall I'm very happy, been wanting one of these since they came out years ago. I wish I hadn't waited until the street price had gone up $150, but oh well.

The G26 is my first Glock. I got it as something the wife will hopefully carry. She tried it on in a store a couple weeks back and liked how it felt in her hand, so I'm going to surprise her with it. If she decided she doesn't want to carry it, it will be my lightweight carry/BUG. I got it with the factory night sights, and the dealer threw in a pair of pinkie extensions (and installed them for me). I put 30 rounds of 115gr WWB ball through it, and I have some 147gr HST but didn't get a chance to try them yet. Honestly I thought it would be more accurate, but it's likely just me -- shooting almost nothing but 1911's for so long probably had a lot to do with it, and I just need to adjust to the trigger. Groups were about 5-6 inches offhand at 7 yards, not too bad I guess considering I've fired Glocks maybe 10 times in my life, and the last time was many years ago.

When the Kimber is broken in, it will replace the heavy Commander as my EDC of the last 10 years, for now carrying in an MTAC and eventually a VMII when it shows up in another 4 months (hopefully).
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

2. Remove Ads

1911s have ruined my ability to shoot good groups with my "plastic" pistols.

So far I've only fired about 80 rounds through the Kimber and 30 through the G26, as I got to the range late and our club rules prohibit firing after dark.
    "Dark" would definitely be up to interpretation here. Nice pic! Nice pistols! BTW.....I have one of those exact same "cheap" Gerbers. Got mine at Wal Mart matter of fact. Thing that impresses me most about it is that I haven't lost it yet.

Administrator
    I love my CDP, its ashame I never carry it anymore; I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I had that same knife for a LONG time. It eventually quit taking an edge (strange).

Check out the Byrd Cara Cara. It's about $30, and scary sharp.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Real sweet Kimber, maybe one day, for now I can only dream and be teased by pics. Cling-On, Thanks for sharing.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Nice pistola's...I have two CDP's, the Ultra and the Compact...also just picked up the Glock-26.
    You have great taste in sidearms.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

AUTO Nation!!!

3rd ACR...NICE choices!! I think you'll get attached to that G26 once you get used to the trigger etc. That piece is with me EVERYDAY, while my 1911's sit in the safe. Don't get me wrong I LOVE them both(and carry the OM almost exclusively of the 2), BUT that GLOCK just CARRIES WELL. I switched up this week and have the G19 with me. Eventually want to ADD a J-Frame Smith(again...SOLD mine, BIG MISTAKE)as a BUG. Will work with either the Colt or Glocks. GOOD LUCK.

PS> GOOD MOVE with the Pearce Extension
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

OOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SORRY dmorris.....................I meant 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment(now 2nd SCAR..Stryker Cav.Reg.).
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

VIP Member
    Very nice! Great choices. So many guns, so little time...

Well I took the wife to the range Saturday, surprising her with the G26. She hadn't fired a handgun since she was a child with her dad, so I started her out shooting the Ruger Mark III 22/45 to get the fundamentals down. After more than 50 rounds of .22, I moved her up to the G26, which she handled just fine, firing almost 100 rounds through it. Then she wanted to try my .45's, and wound up shooting several mags through both my Combat Commander and the new Kimber. I was a bit concerned about her reaction to the recoil out of the Kimber, being alloy framed and much lighter than the steel framed Colt, but she didn't have any trouble with any of them. She seemed to really enjoy it. She was a little sore afterward -- the nature of her lupus is that she doesn't always know when she's overdone it until it's too late -- but I had bought her some padded shooting gloves to help and by the next day she was fine.

My gun club is having a Family Day this Saturday, and will be offering intro firearms courses geared toward the ladies, as well as a swap-meet, cookout, and various fun matches throughout the day. I'm hoping we're not busy and can both make it. I'd especially like to see her take one of the courses, as she will surely take instruction better from someone other than me.

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    SORRY dmorris.....................I meant 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment(now 2nd SCAR..Stryker Cav.Reg.).
    Heh, yep, I spent almost 3 years with 2ACR. And before that I knew quite a few 3ACR folks from my Ft. Bliss days, as my Patriot unit was just across the street from the 3ACR HQ and barracks.

Toujour Pret!
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

2 really great choices!

The Glock 26 is an excellent baby Glock... I have been shooting mine approx one year and can shoot my Glock 26 as well as my Glock 19... utterly reliable and I now almost exclusively carry my Glock 26... light weight and very easy to carry all day long.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Wish I could buy one of those mini-1911, always liked them. Nice pair of guns there. Cheap knives are great, if you lose it you are not cursing yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Wish I could buy one of those mini-1911, always liked them. Nice pair of guns there. Cheap knives are great, if you lose it you are not cursing yourself!
    Thanks, but it's not really a mini-1911. The angle of the photo is a bit weird, and makes the G26 look as big as the Kimber, but it's not. The Kimber is a full-size frame with a 4" barrel. 0.25" shy of Commander size.
    David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links