Weighing the options of buying the Sig Sauer 229-357sig

This is a discussion on Weighing the options of buying the Sig Sauer 229-357sig within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; am considering buying the Sig229-357sig.. here are a few questions I have about this pistol (1) how is the felt recoil (2) is this pistol ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weighing the options of buying the Sig Sauer 229-357sig

Weighing the options of buying the Sig Sauer 229-357sig

am considering buying the Sig229-357sig..
    here are a few questions I have about this pistol (1) how is the felt recoil
    (2) is this pistol reliable
    (3) what's the accuracy on this gun
    (4) those who own this gun what are
    your like's & dislikes concerning
    shooting & handling this gun

I like the way it fits my hand but I have only shot the Sig 229 with 40 caliber ammo.
    Thank-you for your interest & time.

2. Remove Ads

I don't own one, but shot one this past weekend. It was the second time I've shot it. It's sweet! I don't find the recoil any worse than a 40 and could hit the target easy enough. I really like the 357 round itself and might own one some day. Another good buy would be a H&K USPc in 357. The only thing not to like is the price of 357 ammo - unless you roll your own.

.357 SIG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Sig 229

Well, I can answer concerning the 229, but not .357 SIG caliber.

To me the 229 is one of the easiest shooting .40s on the market, and the 9mm is even lighter recoil. My guess is that would hold true with .357 SIg also.

The 229 is an extremely reliable gun. The design is proven over time to be among the most reliable.

Accuracy is typically above average for a defensive handgun.

Don't own one in .357, but I would imagine it is the same great gun as the 9 or .40.

Shootability, reliability, accuracy...these are the strong points of the SIG 229. Those traits are what make them great guns. Some things that are not strong points: Personally, I find it a bit bulky and heavy for CCW. The DA/SA trigger takes some practice to master for quick, accurate follow-up shots...there is a DAO option, but I do not like the long pull of that trigger option. The finish tends to wear quicker than the Glock tennifer finish (but so do most finishes compared to tennifer).

Hope this helps.

Lead Moderator
    Aside from the fact that it's a SIG , one point that no one has mentioned yet is if you get the 357 you can always get a 40 S&W barrel for it from SIG (and the other way around), the mags are the same for both rounds!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Why .357 Sig?

I think the Sig P229 is an excellent choice, but I would go with the .40 caliber over the .357 Sig. If you pick the right hollowpoint ammunition, the .40 will penetrate deeper and expand to a larger diameter than .357 Sig.

Take a look at this Winchester Ranger ammunition ballistic testing comparison chart:

Winchester Ranger ammunition testing

It shows that the 180 grain .40 caliber ammo is clearly superior to the 125 grain .357 Sig ammo in both penetration and expansion under different conditions.

Comparing the cost of FMJ practice ammo, where .40 is cheaper, should convince you.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Everyone said it well.
    Sig reliability is awesome!
    Very comfortable to shoot
    Accurate as you are
    Easy take down
    I have both the .40 and .357 barrels. With manufactured ammo the .40 will be slightly snappy while the .357 has more recoil but recoils backward so you can stay on target better. That said it is a slight difference. You should be able to get the additional barrel for $175 from Sig or Bar-Sto. Shoot the less expensive .40 for practice and carry the .357. The slight difference in shooting will not be a big deal. The difference in cost of ammo is even if you reload. Truthfully I use the .40 most of the time for carry. There are so many great defensive rounds that unless you worry about shooting through car doors and such the .40 is excellent.

MGD
    The price of ammo alone deterred me from getting a .357 sig HK. Even though at the time I could of purchased it for $200 less then my HK in .45, it would of been more expensive in the long run.

I purchased some .357 sig rounds at wally world for the father-in-law so he can join us at the range, and man did that hurt paying $50 for 100 rounds. And I thought I was paying too much for .45

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I carry one often or a HKP2K in 357 Sig. This caliber is as good a fight stopper as you can get in a handgun.
    I reload, (it is an easy caliber to reload) but Winchester white box is relatively inexpensive at Wally World.
    This caliber really does shoot flat and for the forst time I feel confident that I can make the 50 meter shot if necessary.
    I picked up 50 rounds of HST for 25 bucks yesterday and it shoots within an inch of both my reload and WWB so I can get 50 rounds of drills a week very easilly with it.
    I just attended LFI and I'll tell you that the key to shooting is to dry fire often. Get snap caps, three extra mags, paint a 10 round mag a different color use it for the snap caps and dry fire like mad.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Aside from the fact that it's a SIG , one point that no one has mentioned yet is if you get the 357 you can always get a 40 S&W barrel for it from SIG (and the other way around), the mags are the same for both rounds!
    Quite correct. I had a Sig 229 in .40 and simply bought a replacement barrel in .357. Drops right in and functions perfectly. Does use the same mags and nothing erlse has to be changed or replaced.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Never owned one but have shot one..SWEET!! A very good friend of mine carried one (in .357) for at least 3 years and NEVER had any issues with it. He does reload so it is not as painful in the wallet to shoot a few mags.

Side Bar Question... is there a need for getting a .357Sig barrel when you have .40SW already?

Judge ruling on sidebar...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawg View Post
    Side Bar Question... is there a need for getting a .357Sig barrel when you have .40SW already?
    If you have a .40 there is no need for a .357 Sig barrel from a defensive standpoint. But it does give you something to post about on gun chat boards like this one.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawg View Post
    A need? Nope, just an option.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Just so you know, Sig does make a 229 Combo that comes with both barrels. There are some good buys right now on 229 CPO Combo's - say some on Gunbroker the other day.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Local deputy sheriffs here carry the P229 in .357sig and from what I hear they are very happy with the reliability and durability of the pistol and the performance of the caliber.

I'd love to have one myself with the conversion barrel.
    Life Member: Grass Roots North Carolina, GOA | Member: NRA
    Carrying: Springfield Armory XD(M) .40 S&W | Kel-Tec PF9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links