Bersa 380 Safety Issues..

This is a discussion on Bersa 380 Safety Issues.. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I recently bought a Bersa Thunder 380 to go where my normal compacts can't. I have to tell you, i love it. Its simple, ...

Thread: Bersa 380 Safety Issues..

Bersa 380 Safety Issues..

So I recently bought a Bersa Thunder 380 to go where my normal compacts can't. I have to tell you, i love it. Its simple, sleek lines and ergonomics are all amazing with one exception - THE DARN THUMB SAFETY!

Not only is it the opposite of the 1911, but I have been practicing religiously now for over a week and I just cant get my thumb to make solid contact with it without radically canting my hand to the side when i draw. I have somewhat long hands/fingers, but I really didnt imagine it would be as hard as it is to flick of that dang little safety...
    I have to hike my thumb SO far back to reliably hit the safety that the ONLY solution I can come up with is to just carry it with the safety disengaged..

Has anyone heard of a mod or an aftermarket part to enlarge the safety switch? Or maybe a technique to better make contact?
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

2. Remove Ads

EW3
    Simple: Don't use it!

I never leave the one on my .380CC in the "safe" postion; it's too small and stiff to toggle off in a SHTF situation. With the double action first pull, it's as safe as carrying a DAO revolver, IMO. You really have to pull that trigger to make it discharge. Why fool around with a safety that isn't really needed?
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    Bingo. When I carry mine, I don't use it.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    I've never had a problem hitting the safety on my Thunder 380, it is stiff for a safety but nothing too drastic. Now when I use the decocker function it can be really stiff. Just remember, unlike most guns it is not just a safety, it's a decocker/safety lever.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post

I never leave the one on my .380CC in the "safe" postion; it's too small and stiff to toggle off in a SHTF situation. With the double action first pull, it's as safe as carrying a DAO revolver, IMO. You really have to pull that trigger to make it discharge. Why fool around with a safety that isn't really needed?
    I know. Its pretty stupid seeing as my other carry piece is a Ruger SP101, but I have a hard time trusting DA triggers on Auto's.. don't know why. That and I frequently mexican carry with the Bersa on short trips.
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

I agree. I have one and it is a pain. Went to a M&P 9c and it doesn't have one.

No problem engaging the decocker on my Thunder Plus, but again I don't use it when I carry.

I load with the safety on then release the safety. I carry in a UBG Striker IWB holster which works well for me.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Have to agree with the others; leave the safety off. Also, if you like the Bersa .380; consider one day getting a Kahr P9 or PM9 or MK9. they're roughly the same size, a better caliber and no controls other than a slide release.

Still I sure like my Bersa!! It was my first automatic ever.

Links