Who owns a Glock 36? Opinions of it requested.

This is a discussion on Who owns a Glock 36? Opinions of it requested. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Squid: have you let any one else try your gun? I'd be curious if they would get the same results. I honestly thought that the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who owns a Glock 36? Opinions of it requested.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Squid: have you let any one else try your gun? I'd be curious if they would get the same results. I honestly thought that the newer models were fixed.

2. Remove Ads

I have two G36s.

I've carried them for some six years and put several thousand rounds through them, mostly FMJ but plenty of JHP too.

The one caveat to note is that they seem to have a narrower range of operating constraints than do other .45ACP Glocks (G30 and G21) or than any of the 9mm Glocks.
    As a long-time owner (since '88) of nine Glocks to date, including 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP varieties, I can readily compare reliability.

With the G36, you want to be sure to have a strong, hard grip when firing, so as to permit the recoil forces to reliably extract the fired case and feed the next cartridge. If you hold lightly and thereby dissipate the recoil force, you may get failures to feed occasionally, especially with JHP rounds, IME.
    (In contrast, you can hold a G30 or a G19 with but two fingers and still get fully reliable extraction and feeding.)
    This doesn't make the G36 unreliable, but it does highlight the necessity of a firm grip!
    Humani nihil alienum

whw
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    With the G36, you want to be sure to have a strong, hard grip when firing, so as to permit the recoil forces to reliably extract the fired case and feed the next cartridge. If you hold lightly and thereby dissipate the recoil force, you may get failures to feed occasionally, especially with JHP rounds, IME.
    (In contrast, you can hold a G30 or a G19 with but two fingers and still get fully reliable extraction and feeding.)
    This doesn't make the G36 unreliable, but it does highlight the necessity of a firm grip!
    I have experienced the same. Hold on tight. If you can't, go to the 9mm.
    Knowing that most SD situations will take place with me being in an awkward position, I sold the 36 and went with the 19. Hope that helps.

whw

I carry a Glock 36. For me it is the ultimate carry. Its small, does not weigh very much and is very accurate. Have never had any problems with mine. Function has been flawless. I don't feel it is necessary to hold the 36 any tighter than any other handgun. All handguns should be held with a firm grip. I hold the 36 with the same grip that I use on all handguns. The recoil is surprisingly soft for a compact 45. I have added tritium night sites and never leave home without it!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Grave Digger; November 6th, 2008 at 09:37 PM.
    "The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil." (Ted Nugent)

Well back to the range and another $70.00 through the barrel. I held the G36 like I was trying to choke a chicken. Low and behold not a single FTF, FTE or stovepipe in over 150 rounds. I did hit rails and barrel with Militec synthetic metal conditioner. It may have helped. I have been overly cautious so as not to "over-oil" Glock. Maybe between my grip and a bit of oil, the problem is solved. Gun is very accurate 2.5 inch group at 15 feet and 5 inch at 25. Great for a CCW and it will probably get better as I familiarise myself with gun. All in all I am getting more comfortable with the Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by Squidrow View Post
    Well back to the range and another $70.00 through the barrel. I held the G36 like I was trying to choke a chicken. Low and behold not a single FTF, FTE or stovepipe in over 150 rounds. I did hit rails and barrel with Militec synthetic metal conditioner. It may have helped. I have been overly cautious so as not to "over-oil" Glock. Maybe between my grip and a bit of oil, the problem is solved. Gun is very accurate 2.5 inch group at 15 feet and 5 inch at 25. Great for a CCW and it will probably get better as I familiarise myself with gun. All in all I am getting more comfortable with the Glock.
    Squid,Great sounds like things are going in the right direction.Keep us informed on your progress.......Stay Safe J.H.

Good gun and I have never had any problems with it.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I was going to buy a glock 36 untill my friend turned me onto his SigSauer P245........we were at the range and I shot it and all I can say is man......!!! it is sweet to shoot.....It sucks up all the recoil......I'm sold.....I had a glock 19c carried it for a while then sold it to a friend.......But anyway the 36 is a good gun...........

I bought one about a week and a half ago. It's currently in a competition with my XD9SC for the carry position when my permit arrives. So far, so good. I think most people that haven't shot one would be surprised as to how controllable the recoil is on this little Glock. The trigger is definitely better on the Glock (and I have over 1000 rounds through the XD). We'll see how it goes! I have to keep them separated at night so that they don't beat each other up!

-Jeff-

Mine feeds no matter how you hold it. I must have one of the 'good' ones. My wife shot it some w/ no problems either.
    Glock 27
    Para LTC 1911
    Kel Tec P-3AT
    Ruger LCP

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    That's good news Squid. I think some people don't realise it, but have naturally tight grips. I for one, find myself having to ease up on my grip on the steering wheel when I drive, I just tend to grip things, ( well I do make some exceptions!! ), way too hard.

Back at it tonight. 150 rounds of Magtech and 25 rounds of S&B. All went well and not one ftf or fte until the very end. I had one fte and cleared quickly with "tap and rack". I now believe it IS me, as I was starting to get a bit tired and noticed my grip getting sloppy. I Shot single hand, double hand, draw from holster about 25 times and now feel completely at ease and confident in gun as primary CCW. I know some say shoot at least 100 rounds before using a gun for CCW, I on the other hand feel you need at least 1,000 rounds so you know all aspects of a particular gun. I have about 900 to 1,000 through this gun in 2-3 weeks and I will now carry daily. I have "weened" myself off the 1911 "safety brush" and will carry G36 with 1 in chamber and six in mag with a full mag in pocket. Thanks for any and all suggestions with regard to this fine little 45!!!
    Shoot straight and be safe!
    My best,
    Squid

Glad to hear it. They are fine guns.

Kind of tagging along with this thread and need an opinion of some experienced Glock shooters. I have fired the 21SF and also today the 27, needless to say these are quite different. I am in the process of looking for a comfortable .45acp, but wanted to try the sub compact frame, hence the 27. I was looking into the 30SF, but due to the demand these just aren't available at this time I have considered the 36. How much difference is there in the muzzle flip and handling of the 27 compared to the 36? I know the 36 is a little slimmer and would be slightly easier to conceal, just the loss of the additional 4 rounds. Thanks for any assistance!

I would find the option to purchase a G36 irresistible if I could either convert it over to 10mm OR if GLOCK offered a similar model in 10mm. Simply put, I refuse to introduce another caliber to my collection.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links