My new carry gun

This is a discussion on My new carry gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I finally got around to getting some pics of my new carry gun and its holsters up . Its a 2 1/2inch Ruger SP101 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new carry gun

My new carry gun

Well I finally got around to getting some pics of my new carry gun and its holsters up . Its a 2 1/2inch Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum and the holster is a don hume pcch IWB and the pocket rig is an Andrews leather. Both of which I like a lot and the don Hume I'm very impressed with its quality for the $40 it costs. I began my search for a smaller,lighter carry weapon some time ago and decided on the Ruger for a number of reasons.

First I like revolvers for CCW and Ruger is known for strong,well made ones. Second its small and easily concealable,stainless is a good finish to have in Florida with it being hot and humid a lot here. Its also chambered in a proven self defense caliber and offers excellent ammo versatility. I'd considered a S&W model 649 but went with the Ruger instead based on two things,the Ruger can take a steady diet of full power .357 magnum ammo the 649 can not and the ruger has no built in lock. And I believe the Ruger while being barely larger than the smith J-frame is much tougher and as reliable as a any firearm can be.

The only things I've done so far is to paint the front sight bright orange and add a Hogue mono grip. As an interesting side note my gun is stamped on the barrel "Ruger Newport,NH" what gives with this? All the other Rugers I've seen are markes "Southport,CT". Does Ruger have a new factory in NH?

2. Remove Ads

That's an awful nice looking carry rig you have there. I really like the pocket holster. Here is mine, minus the hammer.

ahhh

Nice "toy" Congrats!!

that's a sweet looking wheelgun. i've been itching for a revolver lately; i might have to check out the ruger.

I've been eyeing the 3" SP101. Nice guns. How well does the don hume ride?

Administrator
    Nice carry package.
    Stainless steel and Florida go together like peanut butter and jelly.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    that's a sweet looking wheelgun. i've been itching for a revolver lately; i might have to check out the ruger.
    i too have been "suffering" from that same itch. I have been making the rounds at a few local toy stores looking for deals. maybe a snub .38 or .357 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    I've got an SP101 myself and have been very happy with it. Easy to carry and shoots well.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

very nice.

Divebum the don hume rig hides the little ruger very well,under just a T-shirt. It really is a nice,well made rig. I mean its no milt sparks bur its quality is MUCH better than its $40 production line price would imply. I think its my perfect carry gun its small,compact,corrosion resistant and powerful. I almost bought a sig sauer P232 in stainless steel but it weighs almost as much as my Ruger and I just prefer the .357 magnum I think its a great round my favorite actually followed by the 45acp and 10mm.

Now that is one fine shooting iron you got there.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Very Very Nice!!

I have the 3" but seeing yours makes me what to get the 2" with a bobbed hammer so I have a set. They are a great value in revolvers if you ask me. Enjoy!!

Great choice in a carry weapon. I've had mine for 9 years and love it. These are tough little blasters, yours will serve you well.

Peace through Superior Firepower.

Nice revolver...I'm jealous...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Very Very Nice!!

I have the 3" but seeing yours makes me what to get the 2" with a bobbed hammer so I have a set. They are a great value in revolvers if you ask me. Enjoy!!
    You will get a few more FPS of velocity out of the 3" versus the 2". Big thing to look at is the length of the ejector rod. The 3" will definately eject your longer / hotter .357 brass. It may be a little iffy with the 2" model. I don't like iffy when it comes to to a weapon that I stake my life on. Found this out when I bought a 2.5" S&W 66. Would have the occasional hangar with hot .357 loads. Bought a 3" 66 and ejection has been positive every time. Nice Ruger revolvers BTW. I feel very safe when I occasionally pack my 66 with .357 loads. JMO and sticking to it.

66-2 3" barrel

Last edited by Sportsterguy; October 15th, 2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: pic
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links