Anyone own/shoot a SCCY SC-1 Handgun?

This is a discussion on Anyone own/shoot a SCCY SC-1 Handgun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My dealer has a Sccy 9mm that he just got in and it seems like a pretty solid piece. Does anyine have any info or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone own/shoot a SCCY SC-1 Handgun?

My dealer has a Sccy 9mm that he just got in and it seems like a pretty solid piece. Does anyine have any info or experience with these guns? It looks kind of like a Kel-Tec 9mm. The price seems reasonable at $280 for the 2 tone. I just dont want to shell out the cash on something that I know nothing about. Apparently they have an unlimited lifetime warrany but that is only good as long as the company stays afloat. Any info is appreciated. I know there will be some that tell me to save my cash and buy a Glock or SA or S&W. I already own a SA XD 9 and several Berettas but I am looking for that inexpensive BUG. I am not a big fan of KT due to their inability as a range gun. Everything I purchase I like to put MANY rounds through so I need a Bug that can stand up to a good long day at the range. Thanks

Lead Moderator
    Try a search for Skyy pistol. This is the same gun , just renamed . Short story is several have been reported as less than stellar quality.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Owned two. Sold two. Never reliable enough for me. Both returned to factory twice for warranty work. Look at Sccy Forum :: Log in

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

All it took to convince me to never fire or even handle anything made by that company was reading a single thread in the above linked forum.

If you're looking for a low priced little gun that won't explode and blow your hand off, look into a Bersa Thunder .380; I took one to the range eariler this year, and I was very pleasantly suprised by how well it shot. I think the local dealer is getting under $250 for them.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Administrator
    Do not buy one. The Skyy firearms have serious quality control, assembly, and manufacturing issues that that need to be addressed before they will ever be suitable for personal defense carry.

Personally I'm totally surprised that they have even stayed in business as long as they have.

Yes, I know that they have a lifetime warranty but, at the rate they are putting out totally malfunctioning garbage in the shape of guns - they will probably be sued into oblivion before too long and there will be nobody around to repair your gun when it breaks or fails - and for sure it will.

Spending 20 minutes reading on the Skyy/Sccy forum should convince nearly every halfway logical individual that they do not ever want to carry one for self defense.

Geesh...their forum is a Must Read. I have never seen a forum filled with more totally frustrated people.
    The couple of forum members on that forum that are constantly sticking up for the guns probably secretly either work there or own the place.

Pins getting loose and falling out - slides and frames cracking in half - using a paper clip to fix the safety - slides getting stuck - broken firing pins galore - malf after malf - people sending their guns in for repair for the third or fifth time and getting the wrong gun back - guns coming back after repair that would not function at all...off center firing pin strikes - the list goes on & on.

Junk. Their name changes because of lawsuits. Spend the extra $100 on a nice used Glock and be happy.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I must be the exception to the rule. I have a SKYY CPX-1 and have around 800 rounds through it without a problem. It's my understanding that many of the early issues had problems. My serial number is a 14xxx series. I bought the gun from a very reliable source who had fired only 200 or so rounds without problems. I've been firing custom reloads and have also put 100 rounds of Federal Hydra Shok through it.

Because of the remarks, I've closely examined the slide after each range session and have also torn the gun down and examined the moving parts. Nothing unexpected so far. When I don't carry my Randall, I carry the CPX-1.

One thing I will say is that you can't limp wrist the gun. And, as with most light guns, there is a degree of recoil. However, it's substantially less than my Randall (4.25"bbl).

My suggestion is to see if your dealer will let you put a few rounds downrange. Also, you can ask for opinions and you'll always get them. But you are much better served getting your information first hand. For the record, it's not my policy to trust my family's or my own life to "junk". I would not carry a weapon which I had not personally fired enough to make a determination of reliability. I think 800 rounds with no problems is sufficient. No ftf or fte's, and no squibs. But I also take exceptional care of my weapons. They are stripped and cleaned after every range session. And if it's over a month between sessions, they are stripped and checked and cleaned anyway. I picked up the habit of attention to the care and feeding of firearms while serving in SEA. Just a little different perspective.

Just my 2 centavos.

For the record, I don't work for the company, and have no vested interest other than owning one of their guns. Nor am I a member of the SKYY forum. I've read the posts, but have not responded or posted. Nor am I aware of any lawsuits or other litigation stemming from quality issues. But then I've not done that much research. I'm pretty happy with the gun, and have no ax to grind.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

S??Y

Their factory is not far from the gunshop where I work. Every one I see has had some kind of problem. Usually the safety lever breaks off within the first box of ammo. We send them back since the factory is so close and I hear they have good customer service. We had some contact with their people when they brought in a bunch of pistols to test fire on our range. We could have gotten a deal to stock them pretty cheap but we decided not to.

Every one I see has had some kind of problem. Usually the safety lever breaks off within the first box of ammo.
    I'm curious - have you noticed what serial numbers equate with the problems? I know that the safety in the earlier models would pop to the "safe" position after a few rounds, but I've not seen that problem with mine. One thing I will say which boggles my mind is why in the name of John Browning would you put a thumb safety on a DAO gun? A 9 pound trigger pull would seem to me sufficient to preclude an AD. And if not, perhaps more training is indicated.

Serial #s

I never noticed any particular number or series. I agree that the safety seemed unnecessary on the design, as well as a unique magazine. Why not make it to use BHP, 5906, Sig or even Glock magazines? Since I posted last I ran into a Deputy friend who has one that he sent back for a cracked slide. He said it cracked along one of the rails, although I haven't personally seen the pistol. He told me he dropped it off last Friday for service at the factory.

Thanks Superhouse. If you can find the first couple of numbers of the serial, I'd appreciate it. As I said, there's around 1000 round (800 of mine and 200 of the previous owner's) through the gun, and so far, no problems. I had heard about the cracked slide, but was told it was in older models of the gun with 4 digit serials.

Smile sccy cpx-1 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by major99 View Post
    My dealer has a Sccy 9mm that he just got in and it seems like a pretty solid piece. Does anyine have any info or experience with these guns? It looks kind of like a Kel-Tec 9mm. The price seems reasonable at $280 for the 2 tone. I just dont want to shell out the cash on something that I know nothing about. Apparently they have an unlimited lifetime warrany but that is only good as long as the company stays afloat. Any info is appreciated. I know there will be some that tell me to save my cash and buy a Glock or SA or S&W. I already own a SA XD 9 and several Berettas but I am looking for that inexpensive BUG. I am not a big fan of KT due to their inability as a range gun. Everything I purchase I like to put MANY rounds through so I need a Bug that can stand up to a good long day at the range. Thanks

sccy cpx-1 9mm

I recently purchased a cpx-1 and have put 345 rounds through it with no malfunctions. It took everything I fed it including wolf steel case, aluminum case and brass cases. From seven yards it shoots to point of aim. The only thing I donot like about this piece is that the safety inadvertenly goes on with recoil. To resolve this, I changed my hand hold(I am right handed) and this solved the problem. The trigger pull is a long one (9lbs), but it is smooth. By letting my finger move back with the trigger to the reset position, it prepaares me for the next shot. This took a bit to get used to, but I am now comfortable with it. For CC, I have an in the waist band holster which does not print with a shirt out side of my pants. FYI The owner of the shop whereI purchased the gun told me he has sold approximatly 40 of these and none have come back. Trust this will help. Sneaky Pete

Thanks everyone for the response. I called my dealer today and we set up a range day for this weekend. He is just as curious about this thing as I am. Maybe if I like it after the range he will sell it to me cheaper as a used gun.I will post next week on my opinion. again thanks...

Administrator
    Keep careful track of any malfs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links