Glock 26 vs. Kahr PM9...Opinions?

This is a discussion on Glock 26 vs. Kahr PM9...Opinions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have narrowed down my next purchase between a Glock 26 and a Kahr PM9. Opinions on the two? Anyone ever shot both to compare or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 26 vs. Kahr PM9...Opinions?

Have narrowed down my next purchase between a Glock 26 and a Kahr PM9. Opinions on the two? Anyone ever shot both to compare or own both? I've done all the reading and all the spec comparisons. I've made my own choice, just curious as to how others feel and why.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    The PM 9 is the benchmark for small sub compact semi-autos IMO.
    Just outstanding in every way. Small, light, controlable, very reliable, affordable and chambered in a exceptable CCW round. I have shot the Glock 26 but it does not feel as good in my hand, maybe its the grip angle, and I just did not like it that much.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I am a big fan of the G26, but one thing you do have to keep in mind is that the thing is THICK.

Aside from that, it's great: interchange of larger Glock magazines, amazing Glock reliability, light weight, easy to get any part you need.

I have no experience with the Kahr, but I love the G26

I think it depends on what you need it for....will it be an EDC? Ease of carry gives Kahr the edge, but Glock offers higher mag cap, long track record of proven reliability, and interchangable mags. There are a TON of accessories for glocks and I feel they offer a lot of flexibility.

For me, though, it's a Kahr... even though I love glocks. Just way more comfortable for me to carry.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

I had a CW9 briefly before I sold it and bought a G26. I loved the Kahr, but my wife couldn't handle it. Recoil springs are STIFF and she couldn't work the slide reliably. I also think the G26 is a bit easier to shoot, however as said it is much chunkier than the Kahr and harder to conceal for most people.

Honestly you can't go wrong with either, it just depends on what want out of the gun.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

G26 for the winter and PM9 for the summer have been very happy with both.If you had to go with one I would take the PM9.

My shooting buddy has a 26 and I have a Kahr CW9. He tried it out for IWB carry. Now he is looking to sell a 26. I tried his 26 IWB. I'd sell it too and get a Kahr.

i own both. my pm9 purchased new less than 1 yr ago has had numerous ftfs over 1400 rds. sent the barrel back for polishing which was lost by ups. replacement barrel had same probs, sent gun and 6 mags back. received it but havent fired it since. i'm still undecided on keeping the pm9 or not. g26 is thick but reliable and it uses the same holster and mags as the other 9mm glocks.

I have a PM9 and a 26, and I never carry the 26. The Kahr is lighter, thinner and just a smaller gun. In a good IWB holster you almost forget its their. Now that being said it is not a range gun because as others have stated and I agree its not fun to shoot. The Glock and my XD get most of the work out at the range. Having both in my opinion the Kahr
    is just as accurate as the Glock it takes a little bit more practice but at 10 and 15 yards my groups are just as good with the Kahr. If you just want a primary carry gun go with the PM9 you wont regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by blindluck View Post
    i own both. my pm9 purchased new less than 1 yr ago has had numerous ftfs over 1400 rds. sent the barrel back for polishing which was lost by ups. replacement barrel had same probs, sent gun and 6 mags back. received it but havent fired it since. i'm still undecided on keeping the pm9 or not. g26 is thick but reliable and it uses the same holster and mags as the other 9mm glocks.
    I know that others have had some problems to. I have 1000+ thru
    mine and never had a ftf.

You want a great gun to shoot and carry?
    Get the G-26...proven dependabiity is important.
    I have the G-26...a better choice...OMO

Stay armed...Go Glock...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by russy View Post
    I know that others have had some problems to. I have 1000+ thru
    mine and never had a ftf.
    wanna trade?

I have a PM9 and my wife has a G26. I prefer the PM9, she prefers the G26. That doesn't mean I don't like the G26, I have shot it quite a bit and it is a fine choice for concealed carry.

However, the main reason I prefer the PM9 it the difference in width. For me, that makes it easier to conceal, for those times when my G30 is a little too big.

My wife had a hard time racking the slide on my PM9, but no trouble with the G26.

Both have been reliable, with about 1,000 rounds through each of them with no malfunctions, outside of a few in the first 50 rounds through the PM9.

Anyway, here's the standard advice: Find a way to shoot both of them before you decide. They are both good, reliable, acurate pistols. Either one would be a good choice, it just depends on what you are comfortable with and can shoot well.

Ron
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

For me it would depend on where you want to carry the gun.

Pocket, the PM9 is the winner. Ankle, I prefer the PM9 there as well if I can't have a J-Frame in that location.

On the Belt? The Glock wins this one, IMHO. IWB is about even between the two, but the PM9 is thinner.

Biker

I own a PM9, a Glock 27 and a Glock 26 (purchased yesterday). I really wanted to like the PM9 and have it as my EDC. Believe me when I say that. But I must admit that the Glock is just a better built handgun in my opinion.

A few impressions:

Fit and Finish
    Better on the Glocks. The polymer is a little more refined whereas the Kahr seems a little rough around the edges (literally). The Kahr has plenty of sharp edges that snag; the slide release for example could use a little sanding down of the edges as it is quite sharp on the thumb. The way the mag sticks out of the bottom gives the impression that it is unfinished. I find the edges of the mag dig into my hand while shooting. The Kahr is very very tight at first, it loosens up after a few hundred rounds, it likes a lot of lube. The cadet that conducted my 'safety inspection' couldn't pull the slide back the first few tries, it was quite funny. I would say that I have average size hands (I'm 6'0, 195lbs). The Glock is more comfortable for me. I added the Handall Jr to the Kahr and that worked very well but the grip is still a little on the small side for me. Take down of the Glock is simple, the Kahr is a little tricky at first but you get the hang of it after a few attempts.

Accuracy
    The PM9 is quite accurate for its size there is nothing offensive in this department. Personally, I was more accurate with the Glock 27 - probably due to the size/weight difference

Capacity
    The Glock carries more rounds. There is comfort in this.

Reliability
    During the break in period of the Kahr I experienced 1 FTF using WWB after 156 rounds. I had another FTF at 253 rounds and one at 327 rounds. The last 100 rounds or so using Speer Gold Dots 124+p have been fine. The last round I shot at the range the slide did not stay back. I had never experienced any issues with any of the handguns that I own. This was new to me and contributes to my uncertainty in regards to reliability of the Kahr. The Glock has been 100% reliable with a wide range of target and carry ammo for me (the 27 that is - I have not taken the 26 to the range as of yet). I trust my life with the Glock every day.

Size
    The Kahr wins hands down here. The size and weight difference is quite noticeable. You will barely notice carrying the PM9. I actually carried it in a Nemesis in an Internal Suit Jacket pocket the other day comfortably and without any noticeable sagging. Not possible with the Glock. IWB carry in my MTAC is fantastic though.

Well enough rambling, ultimately what you choose has to fit YOU physically and psychologically. You must be comfortable with it in your hands and in its perceived ability to help protect you. For me the Glock fits that bill.

Good luck in your purchase. If you want any photos to help clarify anything for you just let me know and I can take some.

FATS
    Sig P239 .40sw, P229 Platinum Elite .9mm
    Glock 19, 26 & 27
    HK USP Compact .40sw
    Kahr PM9 Black with Nights, Ruger LCP
    Smith & Wesson 649 and M&P 340CT
    Benelli M2 Tactical

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links