3913LS vs XD9SC?

This is a discussion on 3913LS vs XD9SC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have the 3913LS on layaway. I went in there today and took a good look at the XD9. Now, I am torn. I'd like ...

Thread: 3913LS vs XD9SC?

3913LS vs XD9SC?

I have the 3913LS on layaway. I went in there today and took a good look at the XD9. Now, I am torn. I'd like two 9 mm someday, however, not necessarily right now - I am not sure....

The 3913LS is used w/2 magazines, period. The XD9 SC is new with "stuff" (2 mags, speed loader, holster, etc.) Same price. I am thinking the S&W first then eventually XD9 sc... just wanted some opinions on the guns.

Oh, yeah, I am middle aged female & newish to guns.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I love my XD9sc. It it my EDC.
    NRA Life Member

my local female gun shop owner wears her XD 9 and loves it. She broke down and bought one as few months ago. She called my wife and shared her love

Administrator
    I'd buy the 3913, I'm no fan of the XD.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I never cared for XD's, just feel wrong to me. The 3913 is a very nice pistol.

You need to see which fits you best, neither are bad guns.

This is kind of tough. They are 2 different guns.
    The Smith is a DA/SA. The XD has the same trigger pull every shot.
    The Smith has a safety/decocker, the XD doesn't.
    I wouldn't let the accessories that come with the XD sway me one way or the other. They are not high dollar freebies.
    Also, you might want to look around and check the prices on used 3913's. The XD's I have seen run around $500.00 new. I don't think the used 3913's are bringing that much.
    If you do any checking around, you will find that there are many folks that have the 3913, and are very happy with it. Same with the XD, so you can't really go wrong either way. You should try to shoot both, that will help you decide.
    Yo Macklin, great party, but no whiskey. We go home now.

wow, tough choice both are nice weapons. you didn't mention the price of the 3913? that might have some weight on the decision. It should not be anywhere around the price of a new xd. 2 totally different triger pulls, which one feels better to you? I had a 3913 years ago and wish i kept it. i have an xd and it's one of the only weapons that has been 100% reliable. don't remember if that was the same with the 39 it's been to long. I've always been pretty impressed by the xd's reliabilty. good luck

Decided to proceed with the 3913's layaway, meaning made another payment today. I really just seem to do well with S&W also I seem to do well with "older" guns. My SW revolvers are model 10 and 49. I figured the XD is not going anywhere (to get later if still wanted) where the 3913 is discontinued (?) from production if I understand correctly. So, oldie/goodie for me for now (3913). Thanks

Good choice!
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I found a used 3913 LS a few years ago and bought it on a whim. It carried and shot so well I sought out another that was still NIB, which I bought and put away as a spare.

One of my favorite carry pistols. Not the only one I carry, but I carry it a lot.

Congrats on 3913

I think you made the right choice to go with the S&W 3913 over the XD. It is a matter of taste, but I think of all metal guns with single stack magazines as better balanced than polymer frame guns, and easier to shoot well.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I don't believe you will regret buying the Smith. I have a 5904 that has never hiccuped which apparently is a trait of many of the older Smith autos. The DA/SA requires a bit more practice I think than the striker systems. But you have bought a quality firearm that should make a nice addition to your collection. No knock on the XD, but the Smith has a bit more character in my opinion. The XD's will be readily available for some time. However, 39s seem to be getting a bit harder to come by. I have not personally owned one, but have often heard how great they are for CCW due to the slim design. Enjoy!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    Decided to proceed with the 3913's layaway, meaning made another payment today. I really just seem to do well with S&W also I seem to do well with "older" guns. My SW revolvers are model 10 and 49. I figured the XD is not going anywhere (to get later if still wanted) where the 3913 is discontinued (?) from production if I understand correctly. So, oldie/goodie for me for now (3913). Thanks
    I don't think you'll regret it. I have had a 3913LS since 1995. Originally bought it for my wife, but she doesn't carry it. I just applied for my CPL in October, hoping to have it by January, and plan to carry the 3913.

Actually mine says '3913' on it, but doesn't have the 'LadySmith' logo on the slide, but does have the gray grips. I like it, used it in the class to qualify with. It's never jammed on me.

It is a bit bigger/heavier than the Kahr or certainly the Kel-Tec PF9, but it has a feeling of solidity to it. In September/October as I was preparing to take the CPL course, I was feeling that the gun might be a bit dated by today's standards. But after qualifying with it and reading up on it in this forum and in the Smith and Wesson forums, I feel much better about choosing it as my EDC weapon.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksabre View Post
    I just applied for my CPL in October, hoping to have it by January, and plan to carry the 3913.
    Got my CPL on Dec. 12, with a date of Dec. 9 on it. So it took just over 5 weeks. In Wayne county, from what I hear, that may be something of a record!

Happily carrying the 3913, with Hornady 124 gr. JHP/XTP. Now I just need to find a decent IWB holster for it (without breaking the bank)!
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Links