Hammer or Hammerless?

This is a discussion on Hammer or Hammerless? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I知 very new here so I hope I知 not bringing up something that痴 been beat to death. I知 a complete convert from the anti-gun ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hammer or Hammerless?

Question Hammer or Hammerless?

Hello,
    I知 very new here so I hope I知 not bringing up something that痴 been beat to death.

I知 a complete convert from the anti-gun community (I got to know some gun enthusiasts) and hope to get my CCP this year. I知 mostly into long guns at this time, but do enjoy the pistols I致e handled. My intension is to get the 登ne handgun. I致e decided on the .357 revolver, small frame or something similar. Now to the question
    Hammer or no hammer?
    I致e only fired revolvers with hammers, but I致e handled some of the hammerless models. The sales people I致e talked to only mention 渡othing to catch when drawing it out of the holster as the main advantages for hammerless. Are there others? Which would be easier to maintain (longer lasting)?
    Thanks,
    Michael

2. Remove Ads

Drawing from a pocket is not a problem...just cover the trigger with your thumb when drawing. Actually, you'll probably have your sidearm in a holster anyway, so the hammer is not, in my opinion, a big deal.
    There are advantages to having that hammer in 'up close' shooting. Have a gun smith show you how a BG can actually grab the cyclinder of your hammerless revolver and keep you from shooting...can't do that with the the hammer models.

Others here will have a different opinion...I'd talk to as many people as possible before making your decision.

Stay armed...your call...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    There are advantages to having that hammer in 'up close' shooting. Have a gun smith show you how a BG can actually grab the cyclinder of your hammerless revolver and keep you from shooting...can't do that with the the hammer models.
    BG can put their fingers or thumb between the hammer and primer on hammer models.

Harder then stopping the cylinder I guess. Just saying.

The "snag factor" is certainly worth considering. Most shooting with a snubby is going to be down and dirty. Why would you need to cock the hammer unless you're Mannix?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I personally like the da/sa hammer. Since I don't try to restrict my gun to a pocket, the hammer isn't a problem. If you do have the time to draw, and thumb the hammer, your trigger break will be much shorter and lighter on that first shot than with a dao hammerless revolver, and most likely more accurate. And, given time to thumb the hammer, there's just more of a deterrent factor when you can/do cock the hammer back with that distinctive sound. I'd guess it may be similar to the unmistakable sound of an 870 being racked...on a smaller scale

surv

Administrator
    You can buy a revolver with the hammer spur and can always have it bobbed later on.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

If I'm carrying a gun holstered on my side, it certainly won't be a snub. I'll put as much firepower there as fits. I can carry a full-size 1911 .45acp or a hi-cap Glock in less room than a shorty revolver in a proper IWB holster. The snubs certainly have their place in a pocket, but why waste belt room when you can do so much better?
    sparkykb likes this.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    If I'm carrying a gun holstered on my side, it certainly won't be a snub. I'll put as much firepower there as fits. I can carry a full-size 1911 .45acp or a hi-cap Glock in less room than a shorty revolver in a proper IWB holster. The snubs certainly have their place in a pocket, but why waste belt room when you can do so much better?
    +1

If I can fit a gun on my belt, it's going to be my G19 in my Crossbreed Supertuck.

My little Taurus snubbie has it's place, but I much prefer to have the Glock with me.

To the OP: Congrats on being converted to the sane side.

Are you sure you want a revolver? Autos are easier to conceal, and IMO easier to shoot.

I would suggest shooting some revolvers and autos if you can and seeing what you like/shoot best.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

If you are going to get one gun.....believe me, you won't once you get bit by the gun bug.....and you want a .357, I would go with a Ruger SP101. I have the hammerless version.

Like others have said, you can also have the hammer mini bobbed in the future. I had my Charter .44 Spcl mini bobbed and they took the rough edges off of it. It comes right out of a pocket or IWB without getting snagged.

Good luck in your choice.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Why not look into something like a S&W 638. Other than being fugly as all get out,they are very practical. The "war dept" carried hers for a while and liked it until I came home with her new toy--a S&W 6 shot J frame .32. The 638 has found a new home in my tackle box.

I have a SHROUDED hammer revolver, old school S&W model 49 (38spl) - I added laser grips and just love it. Anyway, shrouded allows you to use the hammer if wanted or not. Something to think on.

I am very new to guns, grew up in non-shooting family, so while I was never true antigun, just learning them now. Just FYI.

IMHO, I carry a Bull Dog, hammerless. I believe that if I need to produce my weapon, I will be shooting, and fast. I think that in such a situation I wouldn't take the time to cock the gun, and then shoot! Takes to long, time I might not have. Draw, point and squezze, repeat the squezze! One other thing to remember, if you have the BG under your gun, and it's cocked, you're excited; how much presure does it take to accidently drop that hammer? Opps! One BG down! Maybe someone who was giving up. Now what do you do? Even if the LEO's never find out, you will have to live with it! In any real confrontation you will be pulling on that trigger, not the hammer! It doesn't make any difference what you carry, a 1911, a Glock, or what ever you have chosen. You may not have the time required to cock that gun and then shoot. Buy what you want, then practice, practice, and then practice some more. No gun will make any difference if you can't hit what you shoot at!

Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

Check out a S&W 649 Body Guard in 357 mag. It has a shrouded hammer and you can use it to cock for more precision. You can also used 38 +P loads if 357 is too much medicine.

Satch
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." Robert E. Lee

I'd recommend for a first pistol to get one with a hammer and get it mini-bobbed like Danimal and other SME's have recommended.

And an SP101 .357 3" would be the perfect one, too. That's the one I'm going with and plan to have the hammer modified for easier CC.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    MichaelJ,

Welcome to the forum! And to this comumity of people who take seriously their responsibility to protect family. You'll find a level-headed bunch, who were very kind to THIS newbie... and I expect will be with you as well.

For a long while I carried an SP-101 with the bobbed hammer (see a photo of this model, earlier in this thread). I am quite overweight, and carrying it in "appendix" position just in front of the hip bone was quite comfortable. When I sold it* and bought a full-sized semi-auto pistol with "pokeybits", it was intolerable! I've since re-done my method of carrying, but you may wish to consider that hammers, sights, and such can hang up on YOU and be quite uncomfortable. Here's a link to the DIY SmartCarry type holster I used with it (and wish I could still use).

My vote is for the hammerless, for comfort and for the "oops - shot the bad guy" problem noted above.

And the Ruger SP-101 is a very, VERY well-made piece of machinery.

Again, welcome!

-------------------------
    *Wish I hadn't sold it: we had two SP101s; I was selling one to buy a Glock for my wife who likes Glock handling better. Finances fell apart, and I used the dough to quick buy something else - she still carries her SP101, which I'll get when we get her something new.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links