Are Nights Sights Needed for a Primary CCW Gun?

This is a discussion on Are Nights Sights Needed for a Primary CCW Gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ive read somewhere that a majority of all shooting incidents happen at night. so i got to thinking do i need a night sights on ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Nights Sights Needed for a Primary CCW Gun?

ive read somewhere that a majority of all shooting incidents happen at night. so i got to thinking do i need a night sights on a ccw pistol? or is the standard sights good enough for what i need it to do? im going to order my pistol shortly. dont know if the sights are worth the extra 100 dollars or not.

IMHO, a laser is much better. Either way, firing at night you want some sort of aid to find out where your lead's going and if you CCW at night, which of course you should, you should invest in something to ensure this.

Or just get real good at night firing :)
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

is a cheap flashlight a replaceable option for night sights? or should i just fork over the dough?

I also think laser grips would have greater practical value. What are you thinking of ordering?

im thinking of the x-9 sub compact. they have some fairly cheap at a local gun shop

I guess a flashlight is better than nothing, but then you're firing one-handed holding the light in the other--losing accuracy and ability to stabilize after recoil, etc...

Many on this site love their night sights, I have never tried them myself. My Glock 23 has a crimson trace laser grip on it that I can fire while standing on my head (if I could hold the position, that is) and still hit center mass... at night. Also clutch for hip firing with high accuracy.

It is very expensive to purchase one, but firearms aren't cheap to use in the first place--it was recommended to me to get the laser if carrying concealed and I believe it was the best idea given to me.
    CZ P-06
    S&W 642

thanks for your quick advice. ill pony up the cash and do it right the first time. i was just trying to be cheap cause like everyone else money is tight.

A flashlight can be really important at night in addition to your weapon and whatever features you decide to include. It bears learning about.

Is it the XD-9? It gets lots of praise.

+1 on the XD-9 praise, lots of it here on the forum

Certainly can't blame you on being frugal, and you bring up an excellent point about times being tough because likely whoever chooses to mess with you is probably under similar troubles. A quick browse of the CT site shows that the laser is a bit more expensive than mine was (Crimson Trace Lasergrips - LG-446 For Springfield Armory XD says $329, maybe you could find one cheaper) but trust me, if you can afford it it will ensure that you shoot what you want to and not what's outside the target.

Good luck with the purchase, pictures are always appreciated when you get all set up.... oh, and welcome to the forum!
    CZ P-06
    S&W 642

IMO, a good flashlight should be part of everyone's EDC regardless.

Lasers are great, but I'd still recommend at least a tritium front sight. It doesn't have to be very dark for your sights to get lost. If the target is dark (black target, BG wearing dark clothes, etc.) it can be difficult even when you have good light. That white dot is a big help.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I am not an expert, by far. I am still waiting for my CCW permit. (ERR). I have wondered the same thing, Night Sights on my CCW. Well, living in Mass;. When I started to look in to the self defense-laws/ Castle laws. I came to the conclusion that I will have a high powered flash light stored where I keep my CCW, as well as study where my light switches are in my home. I will not shoot or aim my firearm at a target that I can not identify. With my luck I would end up shooting my wife's cat who likes to climb up on the counter and knock things down.

Quote Originally Posted by glockstock View Post
    IMHO, a laser is much better.
    +1 on the laser. I imagine that the typical SD scenario is going to be so adrenaline driven and happen so fast that lining up the sights may be difficult at best, but it is kind of hard to miss that bright red dot of a good laser!!!

I put night sights on pretty much any handgun I have if I plan on carrying it. They really help for night shooting, and twilight shooting too.

Seeing those three glowing dots on my nightstand makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I haven't ponied up for a laser yet, but I will get one of those one day too.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Quote Originally Posted by vardenafil View Post
    ive read somewhere that a majority of all shooting incidents happen at night. so i got to thinking do i need a night sights on a ccw pistol? or is the standard sights good enough for what i need it to do? im going to order my pistol shortly. dont know if the sights are worth the extra 100 dollars or not.
    Needed?

No, but they are nice to have. All my Autoloaders have them. My Revolvers have a Big Dot type set-up.

Lasers are another option, and one I'm strongly considering as I don't have one yet.

Biker

I would recommend them, even if you decide to go laser.

Laser's can malfunction, so you don't want to depend on it as a crutch. You should always practice shooting with a conventional sight picture, and plan on needing one if you lose the laser. Of course target identification is necessary, but you can ID targets in much lower light than you can see a lot of sights. Night sights give you that extra edge, an assurance that you can find the sights and get a sight picture regardless of lighting conditions. In a SHTF scenario where innocent lives are on the line, a half-second delay to "find' your sights could decide the outcome in the BG's favor, so I'll take every reasonable edge I can get. Given their relatively low additional cost, I consider NS a very reasonable edge.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links