I am impressed

I am impressed

This is a discussion on I am impressed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to be taking my ccw class in November and wanted to buy a handgun to not only practice with but also carry ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I am impressed

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

I am impressed

I am going to be taking my ccw class in November and wanted to buy a handgun to not only practice with but also carry when I get my card. I am a former Glock owner, due to some issues I had to sell it back in 2004 and have not had a firearm since. Today, i went out and got a new one, I have to say, it is one that worked flawlessly and has me impressed. Can anyone guess what it is? A Hi Point C9. I know most of you are saying "oh no, not a Hi Point" but I had to buy something that was in my budget, and I do not have 400 bills or more to throw around, actually even the $120 I paid for it set me back a bit. I only put 50 rounds through it, but there was no issues, and I put it on a Fobus holster that I got for it, and it really did not seem that bad on my hip. I will look for something nicer come tax time, but right now, i had to get what I could afford.

photo added by qks

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Congrats! Yeah, there are a lot of negatives about the Hi Point (relative to more expensive guns) but they go bang when the trigger is pulled. The trigger takes about a week to break, but it DOES work and should prove to be a reliable pistol.

You are now exponentially better off than you were before! Enjoy, buy extra magazines and practice, practice, practice!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

well, as long as it works for you, that's what's important.

A Hi Point in a Fobus, CCing on a tight budget. It's better than going into debt, at least you'll be armed and staying safe, and that's a good start. Cling-On
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I'll be honest, there are ALOT of gun snobs here, but my first handgun was a Hi Point .380, I later went on to buy their .45, and 9mm carbine. I have never had problems with any of them, they have worked flawlessly everytime I needed them and after MANY rounds through each of them, they continue to work just like round 1.

I'll admit the downside is they are bulky and cumbersome, hard to carry and the lack of high capacity magazines sucks, and takedown is a PITA. But for reliable defense, I most certainly would trust it as much as I do my XD.

Let the flaming begin!
    ‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    So far it works. My next gun will either be an XD or M&P, still in the air on those. Tax time is my fav time of year.

Thanks for the kind words so far. Honestly I expected to get flammed away for even posting such a thing, LOL.

dance with the girl your with

Hey, if it works, and it is with you it is better than wishing for the $500 dollar model that is still on the store shelf. Hopefully you will never need to shoot anything but a target, but if the other need should arise, well your prepared now.

Congrats.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Sponsor
    I gotta add my $.02
    The Hi Points have never failed to send rounds down range for me either. Big, Ugly and cumbersome but reliable. I'm not sure that I would carry one daily, I don't care for the safety and the trigger sucks.

As far as future purchases...Definitely keep the M&P compacts in mind.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I've never owned a hi-point and admit that I probably would not purchase one. I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for - but old enough to know that sometimes you pay for the name on something as well as the quality within.

Congrats on a purchase that works for you, but promise me one thing - carry it once you're legal! :)
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

VIP Member
    justherenow.

Good for You. Welcome and be safe.

Hi-Point is better than Jennings.

VIP Member
    I'll admit a Hi Point would not be my choice in weapons, but if it is what you can afford, then it is what you need to get. If it goes *bang* when you need it to then it will work until you can afford something different.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If you need to use it before tax time it could be the best $120 you ever spent!
    I can remember a time when I was in a bind and all I had was a Davis .32 auto. Was it what I really wanted? No. Was I glad to have it? Definitely!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Congrats on the ccw, and the gun. If it shoots and is reliable, don't worry about the name on the barrel.... it's doing exactly what it is supposed to do.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links