My 228 and some humble pie

This is a discussion on My 228 and some humble pie within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself, I just did one of the dumber gun related things I've ever done; I went to get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 228 and some humble pie

Administrator

My 228 and some humble pie

Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself, I just did one of the dumber gun related things I've ever done;

I went to get my beloved 228 out of its case and load it up to head out. I inserted a fresh mag and the mag wouldn't seat! So, me being the typical knuckle dragging type, I beat on it for a few seconds and start to get P.O.'D at the gun.

I commence a full tear down of the gun, right there on my desk... everything looks great. Its flawless... Now I'm really mad. I'm a armorer trained by the Sig factory people, I keep certifications up and attend updates on a regular basis. I care for a fleet of Sigs, a lot people depend on my knowledge to keep their guns running and mine is broke and I can't figure it out. I break out the armorers book in case I've forgotten something... everything checks out. I'm steamed.

Fast forward a few minutes, I've recited every four letter word I know and even made a few more up. I start thinking that maybe I loaded the mag up with .40 S&W last night, I was tired when I did it after all. Nope, not it. Fresh 9mm Gold Dots, just like its supposed to be. Damn! Now I'm running inventory through my head thinking about what parts I have on hand and what I'm going to replace first. Hell, I'm going to replace everything until I find the offender. Yup, that's it! I'll throw money at it!

Then I start thinking that someone might have messed with it. Buts that would be impossible, all sorts of thoughts are racing through my pea brain.

The gun gets torn down again, this time with the magazine too. Magazine looks fine, its one of my newer ones.
    Then I see it. Huh... that's odd... There is 14 Gold Dots sitting on the desk in a neat double row of seven. Seven plus seven, equals fourteen. I'll be a SOB... I stuffed an extra round into my mag.

All that trouble because I didn't check the obvious first... I'll take my humble pie while its warm now please.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

One can have a wall plastered with certificates, licenses, and degrees and still make a booboo. Some of my Glock mags have been know to go over capacity once or twice. We're still human, and when others can't seem to make us laugh, we do something that makes us laugh at ourselves. Just knowing you tore your pistol down twice for this is making me laugh right now!

Administrator
    This is why I hang out here so much. I can tell my stupid stories and laugh at myself, others can laugh at me too. Its good to vent. Tomorrow is a new day.
    "Just blame Sixto"

We always over evaluate the obvious!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Why are obvious problems always the last place we check?

Shoulda just given me the gun and got yourself a new one.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

It happens to the best of us. Don't beat yourself up too much. What is important is that YOU figured it out yourself even though it took you longer than you would have liked.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    In My Humble Opinion, an occasional slice of humble pie should be required eating for everyone......digesting it helps keep your feet solidly on the ground. Admit it or not, we all get to taste it from time to time.

Thanks for posting this, it makes a good reminder on checking mags.

FWIW, recently my LEO SIL had a call of a stalled vehicle in the road. It was a guy and his pickup that had stalled in a busy street. The guy admitted that he had just fueled up his diesel truck but suddenly realized he had filled it up with GASOLINE rather than diesel. While waiting on the wrecker, my SIL asked him what he did for a living and the guy replied he was a neurosurgeon. MY SIL grinned and told the doc "you know, fueling your truck is not like brain surgery or anything like that is it?". They both shared a big laugh while the doc finished eating every crumb of his entire humble pie.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Don't beat yourself up too much.
    Nonsense. I think he should feel terrible and then be forced to run a gauntlet where we all get to fire 14 paintballs at him... I'd never do such a dumb....well, I haven't done that exact dumb thing though. But since we're doing confessions:

Last week I was trying to escape the nine 13 y/o girl running around my house (they were still incredibly loud and distracting while I hid in my man-cave). I was reloading some .223 with my lee turret press and managed set a bullet on the case and then try to seat it with the powder charging die. The bullet stuck in there good and it took be a good while to get it out and clean the powder out of nooks and crannies so it would work again. The real bone-headed part was when I did the same thing about 2 rounds later. I quit after that.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Some of my Glock mags have been know to go over capacity once or twice.
    Seems poly mags are easy to over fill. My HK USP mag was once loaded one too many and would not seat in the gun as well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Guess I'm showing my wetness behind the ears, but since I shoot almost exclusively 1911's, I didn't know you could force another round into a mag. Since none of mine are double stack, maybe that simplifies it (good for people like me). I've JUST gotten a Glock 19, so guess I'd better heed this warning, eh?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Slabsides45 View Post
    Guess I'm showing my wetness behind the ears, but since I shoot almost exclusively 1911's, I didn't know you could force another round into a mag. Since none of mine are double stack, maybe that simplifies it (good for people like me). I've JUST gotten a Glock 19, so guess I'd better heed this warning, eh?
    Its easy to do with a double stack, in particular when the mag is well used and broken in. I guess I got lazy and just stuffed the mag until it wouldnt take anymore instead of counting the rounds as I put them in.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I've never encountered a mag overload before....but I have picked up the wrong mag and tried to insert it....doesn't help when wife is standing there tugging at the bit, ready to go.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

We can all make mistakes...counting the number of rounds in the mag is the least of many possibilities.
    I usually line up the rounds before loading, but unless you use a 'pilot type' checklist, I guess anything is possible. I've made a few errors in handling firearms, but nothing that might cause injury to anyone.
    Be thankful the it only caused you to take down and insure ultimate working order of your firearm.

Stay armed...clean and rework without conversation...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

how did you even manage that? My thumbs are sore getting the last round in!

also out of curiousity, if you were pushing up and it wouldn't fit, if you were to pull your slide.....wouldn't it just load that extra round then go all the way up? I realize this would probably not be a safe thing to do but just curious.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Seems poly mags are easy to over fill. My HK USP mag was once loaded one too many and would not seat in the gun as well.
    The exact same thing happened to me at one point. Normally overfilling doesn't fit, but one time it did and I managed to cram 14 into the 13-rounder. The mag actually did fit into the gun, too, but it was super tight and I kept taking it out and trying to figure out what had broken to make it nearly impossible to insert...

Yeah, I felt pretty stupid after that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links