Which Front sight for my SP101?

This is a discussion on Which Front sight for my SP101? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so I've decided to get a new front sight for my sp101 and I can't decide between a fiber optic sight of some kind ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Front sight for my SP101?

Which Front sight for my SP101?

Ok so I've decided to get a new front sight for my sp101 and I can't decide between a fiber optic sight of some kind or a night sight. For those here who have changed out the front sight on you SP101 which of these two do you think is better and why? Can you recommend a good night sight?

Whats best out of trigicon,meprolight or XS for night sights? Also what do you feel is a good fiber optic sight? Are fiber optic sights fragile? Can they stand up to lots of use or if the gun is ever dropped are they prone to breakage?

2. Remove Ads

I can't speak specifically for the sp101, but i'm sure many others here will agree that night sights for a carry gun are a must. I've had guns long ago with fiber optics on them, and always got rid of them.
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

saw a similar revolver recently with an XS 24/7 standard dot front only - looked mighty functional to me

I have fiber optics for my 'daytime' rifles...but Trij's for my pistols...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have the Trijicon on my SP101, and I think it is pretty weak. It does not illuminate as well as I would like it to. The size of the illumination is pretty small. I am probably going to replace it with either a XS Standard Dot, or the Big Dot.

The Meprolight would be my next choice. The Mepro and the XS Standard Dot I think are about the same as far as size (illumination insert).

Senior Moderator
    I think we get a lot of, hmmm, overstating perhaps, about FO sights because the top competitors use them. But these competitors are shooting in good light usually so there's a lot of light for FO sights to pick up.

OTOH, shooting in subdued lighting e.g., indoors, there's not much light to pick up. I was disappointed with the FO sights I tried because the outdoor range I shoot at has a roof over the shooting pad and that's the only place you are allowed to shoot. Since the roof blocks the light, the FO sight doesn't perform like you might expect.

I find that tritium night sights are particularly useful in low light situations where there's enough light to identify a threat, but sights don't show up well against thethreat's clothing. I've also observed that the NS helps when I'm in the dark and the threat is illuminated to some degree - it's again a matter of the NS showing up better than non-NS on the threat's clothing.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Depends...

For range work; FO's are wonderful

For dedicated CCW, I'd go with a night sight or white/gold bead.

For a gun that's going to see rough duty; a knocking around the woods, hiking, truck gun, etc. I'd avoid FO; they do break.

As much as I like night sights (and have them on most of my auto's) I really think the best set up is the one you hear the least about and that's a basic arrangement but with a wider than normal gap in the rear to allow more daylight on either side of the front post. Allows faster sight acquisition in varying conditions and for poor light, poor eye sight conditions.

I think green fiber optics works great in low light, use them on my bow, red is nice in the day but doesn't seem as bright at night.

I still think one of the all time best CCW sights is a front gold bead.

If you haven't already, you should take a look at the "wonder" sights offered by Gemini Customs. Although not pictured I do believe they offer a night sight as well.

The best of both worlds, if available for revolvers, the TFO combination fiber optic and tritiuim sight. Nice fiber optic for daytime and night sight for, well, nightime.

I have on 2 Sigs and 1 Kimber.

SP101 Sights

I've tried three different front sights on my SP101. I've settled on the XS 24/7 Standard Dot. Both the XS 24/7 Standard & Big Dot have the same size tritium insert, it's the size of the surrounding outline that's the difference. For me, the size of the Standard Dot is plenty big to visually pick-up in a hurry. Now that I've (finally) settled on the XS 24/7 SD, I'm thinking of having my pistolsmith matching a bull-nosed cutter with the size of the existing "U" shaped channel in the SP101 top strap (in front of the rear sight notch) and cutting away the rear square notch that centers the factory square front-sight post. That way, my sight picture would then be simply putting the dot down in the center of a "U" shaped rear. Should be simple & fast. Any contrasting opinions?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I like the Gemini Customs...

If your not packin' your slackin'

Its better to have and not need than to need and not have, keep it safe but keep it loaded!

USN : Desert Storm

If the XS sights are an option, get those.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I think GhostTracker pretty much summed it up best. XS Standard front sight with the sight trough "U"ed out.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Have you considered a Crimson Trace laser sight? I love them. They are an excellent teaching tool, and they help you to acquire the target quickly, and accurately. You can even shoot from the hip upon drawing your gun. They are especially nice on guns like the SP 101, because they are built into the handgrips.

freedomofchoice yes I've considered that laser grips but have read that they don't absorb recoil very well and don't cover the sp101's backstrap is this true? Also how big are they as I don't want them to interfere with pocket carry as thats how I carry this gun a lot. Is there anyway someone can post a pic of an sp101 with the laser grip so I can get an idea how big or small these grips are? thanks

Not my gun, but this is the only picture I could find. I think that the grips do cover the backstrap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links