Anyone have one of the "new" Charter snubbies?

This is a discussion on Anyone have one of the "new" Charter snubbies? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have developed a real interest in the Charter Arms Off Duty .38 snubbie for some reason. I have read a few articles on the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have developed a real interest in the Charter Arms Off Duty .38 snubbie for some reason. I have read a few articles on the gun and all the gun writers seem to think it is a decent little bargain priced snubbie but, I think most reviews can be taken with a grain of salt if they are in a gun magazine.

So i went and actually handled one and I must say, for a gun that had a price of less than $350 it seemed like a solid little gun. It won't win any beauty contests but it seemed like it would do the job. The trigger wasn't the best but it surely wasn't the worst I have felt.

So anyone actually own or shoot one of these? I may be looking into getting myself one.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Not one of those, but I picked up a new Bulldog Pug in .44 Spl. last Winter, right before they went up (bought around $300). I was pleasantly surprised at both the quality and "shootability" when I finally took it to the range. Nice Winter jacket pocket carry gun (in pocket holster of course).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Nope, no experience with the new ones. But if you consider what junk the old ones were, why not spend $100 more for a great used S&W that will last you the rest of your life?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I have one and it is a pretty sweet shooter. I am actually up to four Charters in the arsenal now. I bought a black .44 Special last spring, got a stainless .44 Special this summer. In the last 2 months I have added the Off Duty and the .327 Mag in 2.2 inch.

You should check out this article. He has nothing nice to say about the aesthetics of these guns, but he compares the Charters to AK-47's. He says they aren't the prettiest things, but they are built like tanks, and go bang every time.

http://www.madogre.com/PowerHouse/Ch...20Jan%2008.pdf

I am actually a better shot with my Off Duty than I am with my Smitty 340. Heck, I like the Off Duty so much I have sent it off to get the front sight milled down and have an XS Tritium sight installed on it.

I have a Bulldog that I'm happy with but the Off-Duty looks interesting for the money and the light weight but I haven't seen one in person. The two articles I've read were both poistive, one in SWAT Magazine and one here-
    Charter 2000 "Off Duty" .38 Special Revolver

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    My Dad and Mother fight over his Bulldog PUG.

He carries it everywhere he can, and she takes it on trips by herself.

So, not wanting to give up his baby. He wants to buy her a .38 Charter of some sort.

I actually like shooting the PUG more than any light .38 Special.

Low recoil and a BIG hole!

hey Danimal, who did the trigger/hammer jewel job on the 44? Nice touch!

Magnaport did the work. Something that they told me to do this time that I unfortunately didn't do last time, was to remove the cylinder. Shipping to them was $8.95, instead of $50, as it is just gun parts without the cylinder.

Last time I sent a gun to them I paid over $100 round trip in shipping costs. This time will be under $20.

Our local gun dealer calls the Charter guns "junk". Then, he probably makes more profit on a S&W. Ruger is a good choice and usually less expensive than S&W. If money's no object, pay a little extra.

VIP Member
    Mike, like several others I don't have a .38 model I have a Bulldog in .44 Special. Check my thread from last year about it.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-revolver.html

I will be wearing a tucked shirt, tie, and sport coat tomorrow. The Bulldog will be on my right hip.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Mike –

If you must have the Charter Off Duty, my local shop has a new one in stock for $309.99, so I wouldn’t pay any more than that for it. Personally I would buy a Smith. I think you will be glad you did afterward, and it will have a much better resale value than the Charter Arms. My local gun shop runs a sale on the S&W 642 (only a couple ounces heavier) every 5-6 weeks in the $360 range. That is only $50 more. Plus they are now available without the dreaded internal lock.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
    John -
    "The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I have developed a real interest in the Charter Arms Off Duty .38 snubbie for some reason. I have read a few articles on the gun and all the gun writers seem to think it is a decent little bargain priced snubbie but, I think most reviews can be taken with a grain of salt if they are in a gun magazine.

So i went and actually handled one and I must say, for a gun that had a price of less than $350 it seemed like a solid little gun. It won't win any beauty contests but it seemed like it would do the job. The trigger wasn't the best but it surely wasn't the worst I have felt.

So anyone actually own or shoot one of these? I may be looking into getting myself one.
    I own one and love it! I will admit that the recoil is a bit on the high side with +P ammo, but the little darling will shoot! I also own a Bull Dog, DAO, and love this little gun also. It isn't what my old gun was (stolen). That .44 would hit pony bottles at 35 steps every shot, but only with Winchester Silver Tips. I haven't owned this one very long but will be loading up some ammo for it. Hope I can find something it likes better than the CCI Lawman.

Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

Thumbs up

My DAO Charter 2000 38spl. Undercover shoots as good as my J-Frames and I have had no problems with it.

charter arms research

I happened onto a charter arms undercover by chance. (Found gun in my fiance's dad's house after he passed away. I "bought" it from the estate in exchange for 12 hours of roof repair that I would have done for her anyway).
    In researching the charter arms it appears that the older ones, pre-1998 or so we considered OK quality. Then in late 1990's company was restructured or sold, name change to charter arms 2000. Quality suffered and the guns got a bad reputation. One site I found a post said you should always shoot the charter arms gun weak hand, so when it exploded you still had your good hand.
    Other sites have said that the new reorganized charter arms guns are comparable to tarus.
    I am quite happy with my undercover, especially the price, but then again, my was purchased in 1979 and never fired. The gun was still in original box with oil paper wrap and original box of ammo, all rounds still in the box.

comment on article

I noted in one of the photo captions of the review article linked above the author mentioned that the grips only allowed two fingers on the grip. The grip shown is Charter's Short combat grip. I added these to mine, the original grips were nice wood grips, but I wanted smaller for conceal and the ability to use a speedloader.. The wood grips tended to wedge the speedloader, the combat grips are thinner at the top on cylinder side and work better. Cost $19 direct from Charter web site.

Charter does also make a long combat grip that has an extra curve for a third finger placement. All Charter grips fit all models.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links