Which trigger for defensive Sig?

This is a discussion on Which trigger for defensive Sig? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im looking at getting a P229 and I have fallen in love with the two tone .40s&w!! Of course I plan on finding someone or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Im looking at getting a P229 and I have fallen in love with the two tone .40s&w!! Of course I plan on finding someone or someplace that has one to shoot, but assuming all goes well and I committ to buying it. Which trigger would you use (DA/SA, SAO, DAO, DAK, etc.) for a defensive handgun from sig? Thanks!!!

Administrator
    I prefer the DA/SA, but the DAK is an ideal set up.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    +1 what SIXTO said.

If you have shot a lot and are somewhat ingrained in the more traditional DA/SA you may find the transition to DAK, hmmm, awkward.

I have a Sig 229R DAK and a 229 DA/SA. I simply shoot the DAK more accurately. However, it does have a long pull and reset, that may be one of the things SIXTO had in mind when he said, "...ideal set up."
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    +1 what SIXTO said.

If you have shot a lot and are somewhat ingrained in the more traditional DA/SA you may find the transition to DAK, hmmm, awkward.

I have a Sig 229R DAK and a 229 DA/SA. I simply shoot the DAK more accurately. However, it does have a long pull and reset, that may be one of the things SIXTO had in mind when he said, "...ideal set up."
    It is. If you are new to Sigs, the DAK system is designed with defensive purposes in mind. I'm deeply ingrained with the DA/SA thing now and I dont want to change.
    Last edited by SIXTO; October 20th, 2008 at 12:35 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Boy, SIXTO, I fight the DA/SA vs DAK thing all the time. Just when I think I've resolved the issue, I shoot the other and it starts all over again. Right now I've solved the problem by carrying a G17 with a Ghost Rocket connector.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Boy, SIXTO, I fight the DA/SA vs DAK thing all the time. Just when I think I've resolved the issue, I shoot the other and it starts all over again. Right now I've solved the problem by carrying a G17 with a Ghost Rocket connector.
    Not to hijack, but along those same lines I totally understand what SIXTO and Tangle are saying. I have a P239 in DAK, and recently bought a P229 gen 2 in D/A,S/A. I've settled on thinking that I will carry either one for self defense, but if I especially need a gun with a higher rate of fire, I'll keep the P229 in D/A, S/A. (For the time being). Originally the P239 came as D/A, S/A but had a serious hair trigger in S/A mode. I sent it back to Sig and had it changed to DAK and its one of the safest, reliable guns I can carry. Both are great shooters. I would suggest you try both versions of the trigger or if money is no object, get the 2 tone in D/A, S/A and if you don't like it, convert it to DAK ($200).
    Kahr K9
    Sig P239 9mm DAK
    Sig P229 .40 SAS GenII
    Sig P250 9mm

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    Im looking at getting a P229 and I have fallen in love with the two tone .40s&w!! Of course I plan on finding someone or someplace that has one to shoot, but assuming all goes well and I committ to buying it. Which trigger would you use (DA/SA, SAO, DAO, DAK, etc.) for a defensive handgun from Sig? Thanks!!!
    Well, if you're looking at the 229, it's whether going to be DA/SA or DAK.

DAK= DAO and the SAO is only available on the 220/220C and the GSR line.

I prefer SAO in general, but looking at Sig's offerings, I'd have to go with the DA/SA and then the DAK as I would most likely choose either a 226 or 229 with a short reset trigger (SRT) and a short trigger installed.

The DAK (double action Kellerman) is not bad as far as DAO triggers go, but it's not the greatest IMHO, I'd rate it as better than a Glock trigger, but no where near a Para LDA, it's kind of in the middle area along with the HK LEM trigger IMHO, but as my experience is limited with the above mentioned models, I'd rate my input at less than $0.02. If I were to choose a DAO auto in .40, it would probably be the 229 SAS.

I did have a 220 SAO for a couple of months and IMHO there are better options for a single action, single stack .45 out there.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I have a P229 DAK. I shoot it more accurately than the DA/SA, and should it come down to it, point and shoot, nothing more to it. I think it's a great defensive gun, and the trigger pull is super smooth.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I believe that your choice will have to be what you personally shoot the best with. I have shot all of your choices with the exception of the DAK and would choose SA over anything else. I shoot quicker and more accurately with SA. That said, my dept mandates that we carry a DAO Sig 229. I can shoot it, and shoot well, just not as good/fast as with my personally owned XD 45.

Every defensive pistol I have is DAO. Makes it easy pick it up and pull the trigger. Always the same trigger let off unlike DA/SA. I started getting the DAO when my wife started carring, that way, she has no safety or anything to worry with.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

I wasn't aware Sig offered SAO, that's the reason i haven't really looked at ever buying a Sig. If i'm wrong, i'd love for someone to point me in the right direction, as I'm always looking to add to my collection.
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by laeckcrov View Post
    I wasn't aware Sig offered SAO, that's the reason i haven't really looked at ever buying a Sig. If i'm wrong, i'd love for someone to point me in the right direction, as I'm always looking to add to my collection.
    Go to their website and look at the 220 and 220 Carry and view the SAO offerings.

There are several reviews here regarding them, some that come to mind are:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...carry-sao.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ite-carry.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ws-please.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...very-soon.html

There are also a few of the X5 variants in SAO as well, but those are not exactly carry guns.

And as previously stated, their GSR (1911) line is SAO

i knew about their 1911 line, but i really appreciate the links to the 220s. Never had any idea. I guess you do learn something new every day.
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

Thanks for the input so far everyone! Im not very experienced at shooting so I dont really have any preferences. I will have to try both DAK and D/A S/A. The only worry I have is accidentally firing the gun when in S/A "mode". I have no idea how light the trigger really is and how easy (or hard) it is to do that but its something id rather avoid.

The handguns I carry 95% of the time are DA/SA, it is my favorite trigger. I have the short reset on both my P226 and P220 equinox.

Under stress the DA will not be as noticable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links