What night sights? Why?

What night sights? Why?

This is a discussion on What night sights? Why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Springfield XD .40 I would like to put night sight on it. I was wondering what everyone else would recommend? And why ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What night sights? Why?

I have a Springfield XD .40 I would like to put night sight on it. I was wondering what everyone else would recommend? And why do you recommend it? I have look at a few I just don't know the ins and outs of them. Thanks for all the responds ahead of time.
    Everybody is born right handed,
    But only the gifted have learned to overcome it!

The most durable are Trijicons. These or Mepro's for any kind of serious carry gun.

I have Tru Glow fiber optic night sights ( TFO ) on mine and love them. They are the only night sights that glow 24/7 thereby handling the transition from light to dark. Glowing bright no matter what the lighting conditions may be. Other night sights look OK during daylight hours, just like regular sights. TFO glow brightly in daylight. During low light but not dark like dusk or dawn most night sights are like regular sights, basically you can not see them at all while TFO glow brightly. In the dark most all night sights are great they all glow brightly, same as TFO so no major advantage there IMO. Except that TFO come in multi colors making it easier to get a sight picture, some others do as well. Once you have used them you won't want any other sights. That said a quick search will bring up at least half a dozen threads on night sights for you to look at
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Senior Moderator
    By far the most common are '3-dot' sights. Obviously named because they have a tritium 'dot' on the front sight and a tritium dot on each side of the notch of the rear sight. The two most popular are Trijicon and Meprolight. Both are good, Mep's are usually significantly cheaper.

Next are two dot sights that have a tritium dot on the front sight and a single tritium dot below the notch on the rear sight. Heinie makes these. I have a set and really like them. Heinie claims that this arrangement is faster than 3-dot sights. I tend to agree but haven't done any tests to determine that or even if it matters.

Another choice is XS Big Dots. A relatively huge front sight and a very shallow V for a rear sight. I have a set of these on my G17, or rather had. I did very well with them initially, and slowly deteriorated the more I used them. I think I'm just too engrained on blade and notch sights.

Right now I have Trijicons on my G17 carry gun. I like the way the rear sight works without set screws. The down side of that is Trijicon says not to use the sights on any other gun once they've been installed on another. The reason given is that the rear sight is made adaptable to tolerances in dovetail cuts. If the rear dovetail cut is on the tight end of the manufacturing tolerance the sight can adapt to that cut, but if it is removed and installed on a gun with the sight cut on the loose end of the manufacturing tolerance, the sights can't adapt to the larger sight cut.

As I understand it, Trijicon makes ALL tritium inserts for all night sights.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Meprolight and Trijicon.

wpk
    I recently had Meprolights put on my 1911 and they work just fine. Nice glow in the dark and lower light, and they show up as white dots during the day. Paid right around $100 plus $15 to have them installed at my gun shop (I don't have the tool to put them on).
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

I am a nay sayer as I find night sights work well in low light but not in the dark. If your sole purpose is night shooting I would opt for a very good flashlight instead. Regards, Richard

My .02 cents

I just had Trijicon nights installed on my Glocks and am VERY happy with them. I wouldn't hesitate recommending them.
    Sig P239 .40sw, P229 Platinum Elite .9mm
    Glock 19, 26 & 27
    HK USP Compact .40sw
    Kahr PM9 Black with Nights, Ruger LCP
    Smith & Wesson 649 and M&P 340CT
    Benelli M2 Tactical

Meps and Trij are common and trusted...I have both on different guns.
    Given the choice (both are good) I'd take the Trijicons...side by side, I say they are a bit better...certainly worth the $$ for what they provide in a darkened house.

Stay armed...know your sights...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I like the idea behind TruGlo TFO's but the problems they have had scared me away from them.

I went with the trusted tried and true Trijicon (AmeriGlo) green front yellow rear three dot sights.

Meprolites are also very good as well and TruGlo also makes just plain tritium night sights without the fiber optic light pipe that tends to fall off the gun after a few weeks or months of use.

I dont t hink night sights are necessary but they do make locating your pistol in the dark a lot quicker. They do work in low light and they look like regular white dots in the daytime so their can be no harm having them installed.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I'm going to go with Meprolights on my G19 when I get around to it. I have Trijicons on all the rest of my Glocks. Meps were on my previous G30 and I like them, plus, they are a bit cheaper than the Trijicons.
    Glockmeister Online

OD*
    What night sights?
    Trijicons

Why?
    They're the only ones to use vials (vials can be changed when they dim, others you replace the whole sight) and they have the longest half-life.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I like the idea behind TruGlo TFO's but the problems they have had scared me away from them.
    I think that whatever problems they had have been resolved. At least mine have been fine for over a year. My first set I got solvent on them and they went dim. TruGlo replaced them no questions asked. I have them on all my guns including the shottie
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

i have nite sights on one gun right now they are glock meprolite they are ok my eyes aren't what they used to be so the next one's i get will be express sights .
    Well hell yes its dangerous if it wasnt i wouldnt be carrying it!
    Beretta PX4 40sw
    SR9
    PF9
    Sig mosquito 22
    Keltec p3at

I have meps on my G19 and Kimber, plus a few guns I used to have, and have been happy with all of them.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links