New RUGER LCP, mixed feelings...

This is a discussion on New RUGER LCP, mixed feelings... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After weeks of waiting, I finally got my hands on a new lcp, I really like it over all but when I took it out ...

Thread: New RUGER LCP, mixed feelings...

New RUGER LCP, mixed feelings...

After weeks of waiting, I finally got my hands on a new lcp, I really like it over all but when I took it out for the first time I loaded 5 Hornady XTP rounds, 2 failed to fire, light primer strikes, switched to Winchester ball ammo and had one FTF in the first mag, then I finished off the box of 50 with no issues, I will run a few boxes thru it this weekend, is it possible that the FTF light primer strikes issue will resolve itself after breaking it in?
    It only happened with the first few rounds fired.
    Sometimes the slide does not want to close fully and I have to tap it shut, its worse with hollow points, should I keep trying different ammo and cleaning every 100 rounds or so to break it in? or take it in to my dealer?

2. Remove Ads

Mines shoots WWB and Remington Golden Sabre's just fine.
    You might try the Golden Sabre's for a SD round. I'm happy with their performance out of my LCP.
    I shot a young badger running away from me at 20-30 yards with the Golden Sabre's and they did the job.
    YMMV

I've had no problem putting anything through my LCP. I would give it a few hundred more, and see how it breaks in.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by 40S&WMAN View Post
    Sometimes the slide does not want to close fully and I have to tap it shut,
    You should never have to tap your slide shut unless you have a problem with the gun or ammo. Ruger has had a few ammo types that do not feed correctly in the LCP. I had a problem with mine also and called Ruger and then switched ammo. No problem since. I suggest a call to Ruger, good luck.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    No problems with mine.

Good luck, maybe it needs a little extra break-in time.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Maybe the LCP is in need of a fluff and buff as well.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Arrow

These guns are very touchy to make and adjust just right. They must be kept CLEAN and lubed. Sometimes a little careful polishing if an edge is sharp around the feeding, chambering or extracting areas.
    There is so little gun that everything is needing to be just right. When Kel-Tec designed them they went through a lengthy process of making tiny adjustments to the manufacturing until it was just right and things worked properly. They had feedback from owners who would give them a "fluff and buff" job and noted exactly what was done. Now the factory polishes feed ramps, etc. so they generally run gun chow through tjeir little systems nicely.
    The things you read about Ruger LCPs are the things you used to read about Kel-Tec P-380s before they got them dialed in just so. Ruger obviously can't design a pocket pistol this good or they wouldn't be copying KT so exactly...seems they haven't yet managed to copy it well enough.
    This a case where you should follow the leader, not follow the follower.

I'm no fan of the LCP and I love my P3AT. That said; don't give up on it. Have you cleaned and lubed? Tiny locked breached pocket pistols need lots of lube, and need to be clean. Clean it after 50 rnds at most during break in. Shoot it WET, plenty of oil or grease.. read; lots.

Keep shooting and enjoy.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by ksokie View Post
    Mines shoots WWB and Remington Golden Sabre's just fine.
    You might try the Golden Sabre's for a SD round. I'm happy with their performance out of my LCP.
    I shot a young badger running away from me at 20-30 yards with the Golden Sabre's and they did the job.
    YMMV
    Just curious... was it really a badger or a groundhog/woodchuck? Badgers are not generally shot on sight and may be protected.

Yes it was a young badger. There is a season if you want to sale the hide but under this situation it was varmint control on our farm. The animal was disposed of instead of sold for profit.

Quote Originally Posted by crankshop1000 View Post
    Just curious... was it really a badger or a groundhog/woodchuck? Badgers are not generally shot on sight and may be protected.
    Really? I shoot them on sight....I do NOT want them digging a den in my yard and tangling with my kids or pets. As for protected - never seen them with a bodyguard yet!!!! LOL

I shoot Groundhogs on sight as well - the dig BIG holes.....

cj
    Mine had some similar problems my first time out but I took it straight from the box to see how it worked (after seeing so many reports of them coming straight off the assembly line to perfect test firings).

I mostly had failures to close the slide, requiring a light tap, especially when chambering the first round.

I took it apart, added a little lube to the slide, and the thing's been perfect so far ever since! I didn't see that you'd done so, but maybe a light cleaning and lubricating will help most of your problems out?

40S&WMAN

I see many saying to clean and buff and try again but a call to Ruger to see if it is the ammo seems to be the safest way to me. Again they had a problem with some ammo chambering correctly and a light tap or any tap at all may cause you more harm than good. Safety first, if they are correct then no harm done. Not so if they are wrong. JMHO
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Links