left hand injury

left hand injury

This is a discussion on left hand injury within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; last week at work i was handling some sheet metal and sliced my left hand, causing nerve damage. i am going to have a surgery ...

Thread: left hand injury

left hand injury

last week at work i was handling some sheet metal and sliced my left hand, causing nerve damage. i am going to have a surgery this week to repair the nerves and will be in a splint for at least 6 weeks with another several weeks or months of therapy. the first words to my wife was "thank god it wasn't my shooting hand!" i'm a righty.

anway this got me thinking. i have 5 automatics, no revolvers. how am i going to shoot?!?!? i'm lucky because i'll heal, but what do people who are permenantly in this situation do?

i guess my wife will be chambering the first round for a while.

edit: moderators, this may need moved, i dont think this is the apporopriate category.

I am sorry to hear of your injury. I pray your surgery goes well and wish you a speedy recovery.

Sorry to hear about your injury.

This is a good time to learn and run "One Handed Shooting Drills".

I'd put a piece of Non-Skid Tape on the top of the slide and chamber my own rounds if it was me. You can do the same thing by pushing the Rear Sight against the edge of your Boot Heel or Belt, but the Skateboard Tape on the pants is quicker.

I spend a significant portion of every Range Day doing one handed shooting and drills. Be careful and take it slow, and make sure you don't shoot yourself.

Take care and stay safe.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Sorry to hear about your injury.

This is a good time to learn and run "One Handed Shooting Drills".

I'd put a piece of Non-Skid Tape on the top of the slide and chamber my own rounds if it was me. You can do the same thing by pushing the Rear Sight against the edge of your Boot Heel or Belt, but the Skateboard Tape on the pants is quicker.

I spend a significant portion of every Range Day doing one handed shooting and drills. Be careful and take it slow, and make sure you don't shoot yourself.

Take care and stay safe.

Biker
    Important info in Biker's post. You should be able to do this one-handed...what if you were injured during a carjacking?
    Loading and/or changing mags with either hand can't hurt to practice.

Sorry about your hand.

Stay armed...do it with either hand...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Good luck with your surgery.

Both my instructors have taugh me one hand shooting and re-loading. Good luck with the hand. Best wishes to a speedy recovery.

This is a good time and a good excuse to buy a revolver. Still you should practice one nand shooting exercises.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Looks like you have an excuse to go buy another gun! Seriously though, I wish you the best with your surgery.

thanks for everyone's good wishes. i'm sure i'll be back to normal eventually, i just don't know how long.

i am fairly sufficient at reloading one handed, but that's once the gun is already loaded and a simple pull of the slide release reloads. this assumes that i'm carrying an already loaded and chambered pistol. my main concern is starting with an empty gun for a range session. i've never heard of putting tape on the slide to rack the slide. i'll have to try that...thanks!

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I've always had success with the rear sight against the pistol belt.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I use my belt and rear sight or kneel down and hook the rear sight on the edge of your shoe heel.

When working with sheet metal I use cut resistant gloves. They are a must as now you know. If you don't have any or know where to get them send me a PM with your address and I'll send you a free pair.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by spyshot View Post
    last week at work i was handling some sheet metal and sliced my left hand, causing nerve damage. i am going to have a surgery this week to repair the nerves and will be in a splint for at least 6 weeks with another several weeks or months of therapy. the first words to my wife was "thank god it wasn't my shooting hand!" i'm a righty.

anway this got me thinking. i have 5 automatics, no revolvers. how am i going to shoot?!?!? i'm lucky because i'll heal, but what do people who are permenantly in this situation do?

i guess my wife will be chambering the first round for a while.

edit: moderators, this may need moved, i dont think this is the apporopriate category.
    From your avatar it looks like you carry a Glock. Good thing, Glocks one of the only pistols can be operated entirely one handed. By this I mean you can perform all operations: Loading, Unloading one handed. Misfire Drills (with relative speed) Tap, Rack Ready (or what ever you call it), and Clear Double Feeds without having to lock the slide open our put the pistol back in a holster to assist you. If practiced you can clear a double feed one handed in less then two seconds.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I see you have received good advice already. Learn those one-handed techniques. Heal well!

Sponsored Links