Pocket Gun for EDC

Pocket Gun for EDC

This is a discussion on Pocket Gun for EDC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is the deal. I am in college and unfortunitly I can't carry on campus. So far when I am not on campus I carry ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Gun for EDC

Pocket Gun for EDC

Here is the deal. I am in college and unfortunitly I can't carry on campus. So far when I am not on campus I carry My G27 in a Galco Skyops IWB holster. probalbly gonna get an MTAC. As of now I am just getting sick of having to take my holster off if I have class or just want to go by my Fraternity house. (I allways remember to go by my Apt and drop off the gun first) Its Just that I am allways getting looks from peole if they see my holster while empty and they ask a bunch of questions. This has also led to 2 run ins witht the campus police. They both went well as I explained that I carry when Not on campus and just didn't want to remove my holster. ( I don't worry about concealing an emty holster as I would if I were armed) Well I am just sick of these little run ins and questions. So for now on days when I know I am going to be on campus I am looking for a pocket Gun.

As far as the gun goes I am looking for suggestions on which ones I should hold and shoot because thats the only way I will pick one out. Let me give a brief history on what I have looked at and or held.

Ruger LCP- I have held and shot this gun and I liked it alot. It would be a great carry gun witht the clip. This is kinda what I'm leaning towrds.
    Various Wheel guns- Held them thought they were ok could be an option.
    Keltec 380- Held this gun but never fired it. I have seen it fired and all it did was jam. this is the only reason I am kinda steering away from this one. I'm not trying to start a war just my opinion. I know many of you will swear by yours I just have yet to see one go through at least a 100 rounds with out a jam.

These are the pocket guns I have experience with. I am looking for sugestions as to other guns to look at or certain models. My college budget is going to be pretty tight at $300. So perhaps I can look used. I have no problem with this because I am looking for a tool that works not a show piece.
    Thanks alot for the help.
    In Hoc Signo Vinces

Personally I would only carry a pocket gun when I couldn't conceal something bigger. Since you can't legally carry a pocket gun on campus either, and already carry a G27, I'd suggest getting a holster (like the MTAC) that you can easily remove with the gun, then you don't have a holster with you. BTW it's inadvisable to wear an all-leather IWB without a gun in it, as it will eventually collapse the holster.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

You might also want to look at some snubbies for a pocket pistol (allthough they are, as a rule, larger than the two pistols you mentioned) I've heard good and bad about both the pistols you mentioned. A local gun store told me that they sell both and have had no complaints. The owner told me he sells more Kel-Tecs because the Rugers are on back order most of the time. You might also want to check out the Taurus 709. It's a new model that has a single stack mag and is 9mm.

any of the guns you mentioned is worth looking at. i have the keltec, and i've never had an issue but 1 jam.

on the other hand, a better alternative is to find a better holster for the gun you have now.

If you carry on campus especially since they know who you are and you have had run-ins with them already, you are asking for trouble. Gun haters and the liberal media will give their first born to make an example of you if you get caught.

That being said, I have two Kel Tec .380's that weren't perfect out of the box, but that is why I bought two. One for spare parts, or as a back up while the other was in Cocoa getting worked on. They are now worthy of going anywhere I go, and there is always one in my back pocket as a backup.

Go for a wheelgun

bShoe: Go with an Airweight Smith(642 or 442)J-Frame WHEN you have the $$$. Better to wait and save up then settle on something you my regret. The Ruger and Kel-Tecs are probably fine weapons(especially the Ruger),BUT you already have a GREAT Auto. Compliment it with a GREAT Revolver. S&W is now offering NO-LOCK revolvers as catalogged items. Good Luck.

PS> There are organizations fighting for your RIGHT to CARRY ON CAMPUS....GET INVOLVED
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Kahr PM9 or PM40.

(but those cost more than $300)

+1 on the S&W 642/442, seen them used for $300-325, they make an excellent BUG.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I have two KelTec's, the .32 and the .380. I've had them both for years and neither has ever given me a problem.
    If you think that the LCP has no problems, then you haven't been reading recent threads here.

I'd let the LCP be around for a longer while yet while they work out the problems...there appears to still be some issues.

Every gun can have problems regardless of the price paid...it's mechanical and it can fail.

Stay armed...pick your poison...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Check out a J frame S&W 642 or 442. They cost more than $300. Check out a Charter Arms or Taurus snubbie as well.

Satch
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." Robert E. Lee

Thank you all for your evaluations of the guns I put out there. I am also looking for some odd ball guns that I woln't think of. you all are a wealth of knowlege. Let me clear one thing up. I am not looking for a pocket gun so I can carry on campus. This would be illegal and I am not looking for that trouble. I wanted to get a pocket carry so that when I know I will have to go On campus I will not have to worry about also removeing a holster. Doesn't sound like much, but when you are only there for 30 min maybe say 3 times a day for somthing quick it can get anoying. when I do not plan on being at campus at all that day I still where my G27. Just looking for some guns that I would not think of.
    Also has anyone else that goes to college here have this problem.
    In Hoc Signo Vinces

Far be it from me to dissuade someone from adding to their gun collection, but it almost sounds to me like you want a pocket pistol to solve a holster problem, when a much cheaper alternative is to buy a suitable holster!

There are plenty of IWB's that can be put on or removed with minimal effort, without removing the belt. If you get something like an MTAC, Crossbreed, VMII, K&D Defender, etc., you can, with gun holstered or not, slip it into or out of your pants in literally seconds. And the more you do it, the easier and quicker it will be. Clips will be faster than snap loops, but even loops aren't much trouble once you get used to them. This way you keep the gun in the holster rather than wearing an empty holster around campus -- which BTW (and no offense intended) someone wearing an empty holster just seems... cheesy. Almost like showing off. Not saying you are, but that's the impression it would give me if I saw it.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

Everyone should have a S&W J frame. You will be glad if you get yours sooner rather than later.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I agree that the S&W 642 would be a wise choice. Save up and get one.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    There are two things I would first focus on. First, conceal that holster ALL the time. If you don't, everyone who sees it will probably know that you usually carry a concealed gun. And it's just asking for trouble. Second, see if there is a policy on the campus about storing your gun in your car. At my college I can. Check for yourself, and try not to ask anyone as they can freak or just give you their opinion as fact.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links