Colt Defender Grips?

Colt Defender Grips?

This is a discussion on Colt Defender Grips? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so I am tweaking my defender to be my new edc. Does anyone know how thick the Crimson trace grips for it would be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Defender Grips?

Colt Defender Grips?

Ok, so I am tweaking my defender to be my new edc. Does anyone know how thick the Crimson trace grips for it would be as compared to the Hogue wraparounds it comes from the factory with? I need to replace those huge Hogues and the CTC is at the top of my list, however, I can't seem to find anyway to compare the thickness of them with the stock grips. I am trying to decide between Crimson Trace, VZ grips or alumagrips.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

With a naked eye, they look about the same, maybe when thiuner than the Hogues.

VIP Member
    Be careful if you have to change the grip bushings, they are staked in. I found out the hard way.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

You'll only have to change the bushings if you go to a thin grip panel. For many shooters, once the novelty of the CT's goes away, they are a poor feeling grip with a funny bump on the right side. I've got VZ blasted black canvas Gatorgrips on my heavy-duty Colt Gov't, and AlumaGrips on several other 1911's. Great choices. The standard thickness grips will all work with your existing bushings.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Excellent info. I figured I would probably have to change out bushings. I have no need for a laser and don't really have the desire, but thought that since I need grips anyway, maybe I should go for it. I am leaning more towards the alumagrips, lightweight slim. How hard are the bushings to change out? I heard Colt uses soft bushings, but I have yet to remove the grips.

Bushing job not easy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    I am leaning more towards the alumagrips, lightweight slim. How hard are the bushings to change out?
    The bushings on my Defender were very difficult to change out. I finally got it done.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    The bushings on my Defender were very difficult to change out. I finally got it done.
    Gun looks good. Not the news I wanted to hear about the bushings though.

I went with a cheap set of burl grips from fleabay and added a colt medallion. I used Hogue finger grooves under the grips , but have since removed them to slim it down. Just throwing in an alternative. Chuck.

I snagged them at a Gun Show, No idea on the maker, but damn are they sexy.
    "If you don't have any guns and someone breaks in, what are you going to shoot them with?"
    -Dale Gribble.

Where do bad folks go when they die. They don't go to heaven where the angels fly. Go to a lake of fire and fry, see them again 'till the Fourth of July

Administrator
    Actually, you can usually deepen the screw slots on the standard bushings and then file the tops of the bushings down to fit thinner grips.

You can just punch a hole in a piece of thin shirt cardboard and lay that cardboard over the bushings when you file the tops and that will prevent you from doing a Whoops! and bumping your pistol frame with the file.

If you're going to need to change the bushings anyway to install thin grips then you might as well go for just adapting the original ones so that you dont need to remove them at all.

You just need to file that top slotted flange down far enough so that it sits just below the the top of the through hole in the thinner grips.

The plus side is that you can usually still use the grip screw bushings that have been filed down for the thin grips for the standard thickness grips should you decide to switch back.

Just FYI ~ COLT makes the factory grip screw bushings from soft steel on purpose so that the bushing threads do not ever damage the frame threads.

If you ever DO mess up your frame threads then all is not lost because Brownell's offers an oversize tap for the frame and mated bushings with oversize threads.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    Not the news I wanted to hear about the bushings though.
    You don't need to change them out unless you decide to go with the thin stocks. If you do decide to remove the bushings, get yourself the stock screw bushing tool, it will make the job much easier and greatly reduce the odds of you ruining the bushings. Trust me, you would much rather have the bushings hard to remove, than have them coming off when you remove the stock screws.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Administrator
    Good addition OD...The Brownell's bushing tool. A good thing to have on hand.

OD*
    I like your advice QK, about contouring the stock bushings to the "short" configuration, I hadn't seen your post when I was typing mine.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

This is why I love this forum. You are all awesome. I am gonna check out that bushing tool on Brownells when I get home from work. I like the idea of adaptinf the screws as well, arrggg, I will have to take look and figure out what to do. I may just go the lazy way and get regular thickness grips, lol, is there a huge difference when carrying owb between regular thickness and htin style grips? My first 1911 and wow, what a difference in, options and tweaking, when compared to my old xd.

Administrator
    OD - Have you ever heard of this "trick" for tightening up grip screw bushings without damaging them?

Take a copper penny and clamp it hard in a vise grips and use that penny (as a screwdriver) to tighten up the bushings.
    The penny will deform but the bushings will not.

What I do is degrease the frame and bushing threads then put a tiny drop of Epoxy on the grip screw threads and tighten them up with a penny.
    If you want to remove them - they are easy to remove but you need to heat the bushing up a bit with a soldering iron and then back them out with the same ol' penny trick. I've never had a bushing go loose on me by doing it that way.

Note to all penny pinchers though...you will totally ruin the penny and sometimes you need to use more than one to install 4 bushings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links