Anyone Carry a SIG P226 IWB?

This is a discussion on Anyone Carry a SIG P226 IWB? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm still mulling over what I'm going to get for my next carry gun. I've been reading nothing but good things about SIGs, and am ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Carry a SIG P226 IWB?

Question Anyone Carry a SIG P226 IWB?

I'm still mulling over what I'm going to get for my next carry gun. I've been reading nothing but good things about SIGs, and am thinking about going with a high cap 9mm instead of a .40S&W or .357 SIG.

I prefer to carry IWB and was wondering if the P226 is compact enough to carry that way?
    Last edited by CEW58; October 24th, 2008 at 02:25 AM.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    The 226 is a little longer than the P229, but I carry a 229 IWB and it's comfortable. Not too big or heavy. I use a Milt Sparks VMII on a Beltman 1.5" bullhide belt. That's just my opinion though. What works for me might not work for everyone. If it's relevant, I'm 5'10" 175lbs
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    The 226 is a little longer than the P229, but I carry a 229 IWB and it's comfortable. Not too big or heavy. I use a Milt Sparks VMII on a Beltman 1.5" bullhide belt. That's just my opinion though. What works for me might not work for everyone. If it's relevant, I'm 5'10" 175lbs
    I'm 6'1" and weight 215 so I think it ought to work out pretty well even in summer with lighter clothing. By the way, how do you like your SIG? I have yet to see anyone say anything negative about them. Pricey, but I don't mind paying more for quality, especially when it might save a loved ones life or my own. Does your P229 have the DAK system by any chance? If so, what do you think of it?

Right now I carry a Ruger SP101 in .357 Mag. It's a great weapon, but only 5 rounds. I still carry it at times, but I'm wanting something with greater capacity.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    ow do you like your SIG? I have yet to see anyone say anything negative about them. Pricey, but I don't mind paying more for quality
    Oddly, the most negative thing I've heard about SIGs is from Lefties, they have problems since the decocker and things are on the left side of the weapon.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    I love Sigs. My problem is I love Sigs, H&K (except for that awful DA trigger on the USP), Glocks, Berettas, 1911s and can never decide which one to carry.

It's interesting to note that a 226 is longer than a 229, but a 229 is a bit wider than a 226. A 229 won't fit a Kydex holster made for the 226.

Very wise caliber choice, 9mm, IMO; it's a good caliber and you can afford to shoot it. BTW, Mecgar makes 17 round mags (flush fit) for the 226.

I haven't carried the 226 IWB, but I have carried it a lot in belt holsters, but I can't see why it wouldn't work for IWB.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I carry the P226 IWB with a Milt Sparks VMII. I am very weight challenged and there is no issue. Many people carry 5" 1911s IWB with no problems. BTW . . . My P226 has been flawless and accurate with any ammo for over 10,000 rds.

As for thickness. I beleive the 226 was designed as a 9mm while the 229 was a .40 from the ground up. P226s in .40 work well and 9mm in P229s just a design thing.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    ...As for thickness. I believe the 226 was designed as a 9mm while the 229 was a .40 from the ground up...
    That's my understanding as well. I've often wondered if the increase in width was to compensate somewhat for the loss in slide mass for the shorter slide of the 229. But, as I recall, the it's the top sides of the slide, i.e. above the slide rail groove, that's wider. I'll have to check that again.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    It's very doable... I used to carry a P-220R in a VM-II.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Oddly, the most negative thing I've heard about SIGs is from Lefties, they have problems since the decocker and things are on the left side of the weapon.
    If that's the worst complaint about SIGs then a new SIG could well be in my future. Might have to save up a little longer, but for a high quality firearm it is worth it in my opinion.

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I love Sigs. My problem is I love Sigs, H&K (except for that awful DA trigger on the USP), Glocks, Berettas, 1911s and can never decide which one to carry.

It's interesting to note that a 226 is longer than a 229, but a 229 is a bit wider than a 226. A 229 won't fit a Kydex holster made for the 226.

Very wise caliber choice, 9mm, IMO; it's a good caliber and you can afford to shoot it. BTW, Mecgar makes 17 round mags (flush fit) for the 226.

I haven't carried the 226 IWB, but I have carried it a lot in belt holsters, but I can't see why it wouldn't work for IWB.
    I've been tinkering with the idea of going with either a 357 SIG or 40 S&W, but I also believe shot placement is the most important factor and in the event of multiple attackers the extra rounds would be a big plus, especially with a flush fit 17 round mag. Changing mags in the middle of a fight is a good way to end up dead, even if your well practiced and keep a cool head.

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Matter of personal preference

Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    I prefer to carry IWB and was wondering if the P226 is compact enough to carry that way?
    I have a 9mm Sig P226 with 15+1 capacity, and it is definitely a full size gun, especially in the grip. I use mine as a range gun and have not tried to carry it concealed because of its size. The grip is just hard to conceal.

I also have a 9mm Glock 19 with 15+1 capacity, and it is smaller than the P226 in every dimension. I find the G19 pretty easy to conceal, and it is considerably lighter weight than the Sig. Since I can shoot the G19 as well as the Sig, I will use it for concealed carry when I feel like a high capacity 9mm.

I don't have the P226 and the Glock 19 in the same picture, but here are two separate photos, possibly indicating the size difference:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I have a 9mm Sig P226 with 15+1 capacity, and it is definitely a full size gun, especially in the grip. I use mine as a range gun and have not tried to carry it concealed because of its size. The grip is just hard to conceal.

I also have a 9mm Glock 19 with 15+1 capacity, and it is smaller than the P226 in every dimension. I find the G19 pretty easy to conceal, and it is considerably lighter weight than the Sig. Since I can shoot the G19 as well as the Sig, I will use it for concealed carry when I feel like a high capacity 9mm.

I don't have the P226 and the Glock 19 in the same picture, but here are two separate photos, possibly indicating the size difference:
    Weight doesn't bother me much, especially when using a good belt, and being that I'm bigger than average (6'1" / 215 lbs) I'm hoping that if I buy a P226 and carry it in a Crossbreed Supertuck, it ought to work in most cases.

But I'm not ruling out a Glock 19 as another option either!

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    SIG 226, 9mm at 5 o'clock in an original NSA Holster.....abso-tively!
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Almost any weapon can be carried IWB...very comfortable, easily accessed, very concealed!

Stay armed...IWB works well...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've never fired a SIG myself, only handled (drooled over) a few at gun shops. They all felt great in the hand and had the look and feel of a high quality firearm but the price tag always scared me off. But I've decided that I'm not going to let price be a big factor in my next CCW. After all, it might save my life or the life of my loved ones. Can't put a price on that!

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links