Colt Custom 1911 vs S&W 642

This is a discussion on Colt Custom 1911 vs S&W 642 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Colt 1911. I bought this gun new in in the late 90's. I have hardly used it. I know alot of people ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Custom 1911 vs S&W 642

Colt Custom 1911 vs S&W 642

I have a Colt 1911. I bought this gun new in in the late 90's. I have hardly used it. I know alot of people love 1911's and I have nothing against it at all. I seem to like "plastic" guns. The Colt seems to be picky with the ammo I buy and that turns me off some too.

I have a couple questions....

1. My Colt says Colt Custom on the slide. I cannot find another one like it when I search the Internet. Can anyone give me any info on this gun?

2. I've been offered $800 for my Colt. Is this a very good deal at all?

3. If I sell it I'm going to buy a S&W 642. I'll use it alot more than I do the Colt. Am I crazy for getting rid of a 1911 for a 642?

I know the history behind the 1911 and I almost feel guilty for replacing it with something else if that makes any since. I really never use the 1911 it just sets in the gun safe.

Here is a picture

2. Remove Ads

The gun shop near me has one used for $680. Colt had some issues for a while but I am not sure of the time frames. Some Colts are really expensive, Best bet before you sell email Colt with the model and serial number and they will give you info, They charge for a certificate but only if you want it.

Do not feel bad about the trade you should own what you like and shoot. I recently sold some revolvers that I liked but did not shoot well and I am not rich enough to keep guns around that could be sold to buy something I can shoot well.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I understand how you feel. I'd think twice becasue too many of us end up regreting having sold a gun. We rarely get what we should for them and if we just saved a bit more we could have kept the gun and bought the new one.

The 642 is practically a must have and it's very practical but I'd try to keep the Colt unless you just don't like it period. Also, you should be able to get a full size like that to run anything. I'd talk to Colt about warranty work.

At the end of the day, do what will make you happy. I've traded guns at a loss becasue I just wanted the other gun. Just think twice and then the third time...

Keep the Colt AND get the 642... lol

The J-frame is going to be the most practical as mentioned, but not a fun range gun (in my opinion). Nothing like a crisp 1911 trigger/action for recreation! =) All depends on where your priorities lay.

Administrator
    There is one on Gunbroker New In Box for a Grand plus change.
    Even though yours is basically New condition - it's still a used firearm. I would take the 8 beans for it.
    Really though it probably only needs to have the extractor tuned and then it will feed everything you want to run through it.

If by saying "I'll use (the Model 642) a lot more than I do the Colt" you mean that you'll carry for self protection then you'd be better off with the Model 642.

I know I'd certainly enjoy range time with your Colt .45 than I would with the Model 642. If the Colt isn't meeting your needs however your are correct in considering what would best meet your needs.

Safety first.

If you are not carrying the colt and you will carry the 642 then the answer is right there.
    Get the 642.

Now dumping the colt in order to get the 642 is another story. I cant call it. But I would get a carry gun you KNOW you will carry as opposed to holding on to a gun you basically know you are not going to carry or not enough.
    <><><><><>
    Grass Roots North Carolina
    <><><><><>
    NRA Life Member

OD*
    If you are able, keep the Colt and buy the 642 when you can.
    Even if you are not a huge 1911 fan, it will appreciate in value much faster than the 'Smith.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

The gun ON YOUR PERSON is the most valuable gun you own, period. In a SD scenerio, a gunsafe full of high-dollar, high-speed gear is totally & completely worthless. Your Colt is a beauty. Keep it if you can. But if this is about what you'll carry, and you don't carry that Colt now, then (by all means) sell it & buy the 642. Spend the difference on top-quality training, leather, ammo & practice (practice, practice).
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I've got both, and for me, it's easier to carry the slim 1911 IWB. I just forget it's there. The fat little revolver is a different story. I don't like pocket carry, and if I'm going to stick the 642 in a holster, I just as well carry the .45!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I wouldn't say you were "crazy" for moving from the Colt to a 642 but you'll definitely be giving up some firepower and capacity if you do it. If you feel that the 642 would meet your defensive needs then, by all means, buy it (I've got one myself and carry it when I need a deeper concealment option). You very well might regret selling the Colt somewhere down the road though, I've sold or traded off enough guns to know how that feels.

If it's at all possible, try to keep the Colt and save up a little for the 642. Next, either contact Colt about a warranty inspection/repair like Qk said or find a good local 'smith that can look it over for you. It's very likely an extractor tension problem or just weak springs causing your cycling problems and both are easy to fix.

There may come a time when you decide you want more firepower than the li'l .38 has to offer and that's when you'll really appreciate having that Colt. I carried a Government model for about a year, now I carry a Commander length. It's a bit more comfortable to carry for long hours.
    Jack

VIP Member
    Awe man... don't let loose of that Colt. Get it worked on a little then carry it!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    It's very likely an extractor tension problem
    That would be my guess, that is the time frame Colt experimented with using MIM extractors, it didn't work out too well for them.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Apples and oranges

I don't understand why you would want to sell a gun like that Colt, which you bought new 10 years ago. If the Colt has occasional functioning problems, I would find a good 1911 gunsmith and have him fix it. The chances are that the problems are minor and easily corrected. Then I would keep the Colt forever and use it as a range or home defense gun, for which it is ideally suited. I have several full size Colts myself and would never part with them, as they are more fun to shoot than almost anything else, and they appreciate in value.

The S&W 642 revolver question is a separate issue. I have one of these myself, and if you need a lightweight 5 shot .38 pocket or backup gun, it is an excellent choice. But it is no fun to shoot because of its small size, heavy trigger and minimal sights - I only shoot mine for familiarity in case I ever had to use it, and the use would be at very close range, I believe. If you think you need a 642, you should put together $400 or so and buy one, independent of your Colt.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I certainly echo those that would advise you to keep the Colt and get it worked on!!! Save up and get the 642. You'd then have the best of both worlds!!

My winter carry pistol is either a Colt 'Lightweight' Commander or my Kimber, Ultra CDP II. Depending upon my mood or where I'm going.

In the summer, I opt for my S&W 340 M&P with Speer, 135gr. JHP, .357Mag ammo. It's lighter than the 642, (12oz unloaded) but physically nearly the identical pistol. Much easier for me to hide under a T-shirt or in the pocket of a pair of shorts, when it's hot and humid!!

.357Mag in the little 340 is not for the 'faint of heart' when it comes to recoil and noise but it is 'managable'. I can always carry .38 Spec. or +P if I prefer less recoil.

Good luck with your choice!!!
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links