For the Fan of the .32

This is a discussion on For the Fan of the .32 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While I'm not personally too keen on any .32 as a self defense handgun, it was very popular in days of yore. A .32 might ...

Thread: For the Fan of the .32

For the Fan of the .32

While I'm not personally too keen on any .32 as a self defense handgun, it was very popular in days of yore. A .32 might still be a reasonable alternative to the watch fob sized .22 single actions that are sometimes toted for self defense.

Here's a fairly obscure Colt New Pocket .32 revolver. This one is chambered for the now obsolete .32 Long Colt which is the ballistic duplicate of the .32 S&W Long. The .32 S&W Long will not fit the chamber of a .32 Long Colt revolver however. This particular revolver is a transition model, featuring the positive lock design of the later Pocket Positive with lock work still house in the older New Pocket frame. This revolver is circa 1905 and looks positively stunted when compared to the large Colt New Service .45 Colt revolver shown here which is contemporary to the little guy. The tiny Colt revolver is significantly smaller than a J-Frame Smith & Wesson.

A modern rendition of this revolver chambered for the .327 Magnum might be a viable backup or hide out revolver. It'd certainly whip the .22 Long Rifle for self defense purposes.

2. Remove Ads

Interesting pic of history, are they both yours?
    Is the little guy worth some bucks?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Interesting pic of history, are they both yours?
    Is the little guy worth some bucks?
    Yep, they are.

No the Colt New Pocket (total production around 30,000) and its successor the Pocket Positive (total production 159,000) are the step children of Colt collecting at this time despite having much lower total production than 20th century Colts of larger frame sizes. Despite the prices posted on GunBroker auctions, these smallest of Colts with swing-out cylinders can generally be had at local gun or pawn shops, or at gun shows for $200 or less in condition similar to my shabby example and $300 will get one with nice finish.

Shame about this .327 Magnum recently introduced. If it was offered for personal self defense in a small 6-shot revolver the size of this little Colt, along with being offered in a larger target DA revolver with a decent barrel length such as the Smith & Wesson K model Masterpiece series, or a quality adjustable sighted single action revolver, then the .327 Magnum should find a reasonable following. Seems that the guns being chambered for it are neither fish nor fowl.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Shame about this .327 Magnum recently introduced. If it was offered for personal self defense in a small 6-shot revolver the size of this little Colt, along with being offered in a larger target DA revolver with a decent barrel length such as the Smith & Wesson K model Masterpiece series, or a quality adjustable sighted single action revolver, then the .327 Magnum should find a reasonable following. Seems that the guns being chambered for it are neither fish nor fowl.

Ain't that the truth, I would love to see a j-frame chambered in the 327 magnum.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

If the caliber don't start with a 4 it ain't worth having. That mentality is too prevalent now and although the .327 magnum would seem to be an ideal round I doubt that it catches on as much as it should. This cartridge could be made into a fantastic carry round but it doesn't start with a 4. Maybe they need to rename it the 427-8

It would be nice if S&W would bring back the 30 and 31 in this caliber. Nice little pocket and belt guns in all three of the originals barrel lengths.

Hi Mr. idp4570;

You're right. The Models 30 and 31 could easily be engineered to accommodate the .327 Magnum and would thus be the most potent .32 hide out on the market. A 4-inch adjustable sighted "Kit Gun" configuration would be a little jewel on the belt for trips afield.

Of course I'd also appreciate a revolver tricked out like a Smith & Wesson K-38 Masterpiece or a Colt Officer's Model (how about a .327 Magnum Python?). The Ruger Black Hawk would be the natural single action revolver home for it. It could have a barrel from 6 to 8 inches, adjustable sights, and a slick action with a fine trigger. The .327 Magnum could be a modern .32-20 in a handgun without the worries of older metallurgy. I have a late vintage Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector .32-20 and have achieved 1300 fps with hand loads using a 100 grain bullet in the past but hesitate to go there now. A .32 lead SWC traveling 800-900 fps is a dandy small game getter in the field and pleasant to shoot. Wind it on up there with high-pressure factory loads or equivalent hand loads and it'd be similar to the .30 Carbine fired from the Ruger Blackhawk but in a more suitable rimmed configuration for revolvers. Bet it'd be flat shooting and work well for hunter pistol silhouette competition.

BMC if your wondering, I'm the same one from the SW Forum and ProGun, A K-frame would be large enough to probably house eight shots, since the J frame houses six. Something like a K38/14 with a six inch barrel would be a great little game getter. A 64 with a three inch barrel and eight shots would be ugly from the bad guys position.

Since the model 30/31 were both made in a four inch barrel, it would be nice to see one of those with adjustable sights for a kitgun.

Yea I done got ya' pegged.

Didn't think about a higher capacity K-frame for self defense but it would work.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Dont sell the .32 S&W Long too short. With proper handloads and 85gr JHP bullets thet pack a pretty dang good punch.

The "war dept"(wife) loves her J frame .32 and gave up her 638 to sleep in my tackle box for it.

OD*
    Absolutely beautiful, bmcgilvray.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    Dont sell the .32 S&W Long too short. With proper handloads and 85gr JHP bullets thet pack a pretty dang good punch.

The "war dept"(wife) loves her J frame .32 and gave up her 638 to sleep in my tackle box for it.

I like my S&W 431 .32 H&R magnum, (which I think S&W gave up on too early IMHO), because of its lighter recoil and that extra sixth shot.

Lightweight J frames in .38 Special +P and especially in .357 magnum can be a real bear to handle well. So I can certainly see why your wife would choose the .32 over the 638 in .38 Special.
    God bless our troops!

Here's my 7.65 Browning, er ah, .32.
    Attached Images

Links