Caliber, bulk and weight Vs. when you carry

This is a discussion on Caliber, bulk and weight Vs. when you carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Which is better? An adequate caliber, easily concealable firearm that you carry all the time everywhere or an artillery piece that you only carry when ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caliber, bulk and weight Vs. when you carry

Which is better? An adequate caliber, easily concealable firearm that you carry all the time everywhere or an artillery piece that you only carry when you must? First, I am a firm believer in always carrying the firearm in the same holster and same location. I believe those that change firearm, holster and location as they would their underwear, will definitely change their underwear if they survive their first gunfight. Second, a large caliber, hi-cap, heavy firearm is great in combat, but for daily civilian carry it might be left on the dresser when you need it. The BG's don't follow any rules or guidelines for when they will attack or rob you. Most civilians don't practice enough anyway to hit consistently, and bigger caliber means more cost/less practice. A lot of BG's are wearing Body Armor now, making shot placement more important, COM is not always the best choice. The point I am trying to make is consider all the options, your build, strength, ability and get the best you can afford, then practice as if your life depended on it, it probably will. I carry one or two Sig 239 SAS's in 9mm depending on where I'm going. I like having the same BUG as Primary, since mags fit both guns and controls, POA are the same.

2. Remove Ads

173ABN, I carry a S&W 3913. Probably the best concealed carry gun made IMO. Backed up by a S&W 640ND .38spl. Two guns you are likely to have on you instead of leaving them in the safe at home.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 173ABN View Post
    Which is better? An adequate caliber, easily concealable firearm that you carry all the time everywhere or an artillery piece that you only carry when you must? First, I am a firm believer in always carrying the firearm in the same holster and same location. I believe those that change firearm, holster and location as they would their underwear, will definitely change their underwear if they survive their first gunfight. Second, a large caliber, hi-cap, heavy firearm is great in combat, but for daily civilian carry it might be left on the dresser when you need it. The BG's don't follow any rules or guidelines for when they will attack or rob you. Most civilians don't practice enough anyway to hit consistently, and bigger caliber means more cost/less practice. A lot of BG's are wearing Body Armor now, making shot placement more important, COM is not always the best choice. The point I am trying to make is consider all the options, your build, strength, ability and get the best you can afford, then practice as if your life depended on it, it probably will. I carry one or two Sig 239 SAS's in 9mm depending on where I'm going. I like having the same BUG as Primary, since mags fit both guns and controls, POA are the same.
    My Plan A is to Never HAVE a gunfight.

Plan B is to stick my J frame in the badguys gut, squeeze till empty ,
    and then vacate to a safer location.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I can carry my RIA compact 45 8 rounds plus 14 backup just about anywhere,if i need something a little smaller and lighter I will carry my Keltec P11 11 rounds 9mm
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    S&W 1911 almost always. When a smaller weapon is required it would likely be my S&W 340ct. Either is capable of stopping most any attacker. If weight is a problem I reccomend a good belt made by the Beltman in Apex, NC.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

I always carry the largest thing I can get away with up to a 4-inch K-Frame Smith & Wesson revolver or a full sized 1911. Occasionally I tote a J-Frame Smith & Wesson or a Kel Tec P3AT if nothing larger fits the occasion.

In general I think handguns have gotten too small and light but I'm old fashioned.

I guess you could say I combine both options, carry an artillery piece, but all the time. 5" widebody 1911 13+1. As for the weight of it, I haven't weighed it but the grip is polymer and the slide and frame are both Ti so it's pretty light unloaded, but considering it holds 6 more 230g .45 rounds than a normal 1911 I'd say it's still up there in weight. I think it all comes down to what the individual CC'er is comfortable with.

"I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

IMO it's better to carry one weapon as much as you can get away with. Switching too often will have you perhaps needing to adjust to a different holster, carry method, safety system on the gun (such as a 1911).

Carry what you're comfortable with and use that one whenever you can.

I'll carry any caliber, as long as it starts with a '4' and ends with a '5'...
    I prefer a smaller delivery package in the Kimber Ultra size range...

Other than that, I'm pretty open-minded about SD.

Stay armed...say Hi to the .45...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My primary carry off-duty is usually a G27 with a spare mag. Sometimes I'll carry the 19. Both are comfortable all day and with .40 and 9mm I am confident that I can defend myself.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I'll carry whatever I can whenever I can, and what I want that fits in those descriptions.
    I can honestly say those are not issues with me so long as I am able to conceal them.

I always carry so I go with options depending on what I'm wearing. For primary guns, I go with 357, 9mm or 40S&W. For backup guns, I go with 380ACP or 38 special.

Why? The calibers allows good performance but compact size. So I generally like compact guns with shorter grips and shorter barrels. It works for me.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I carry my ultra ten for this reason. I have 11 shots right off the bat and I carry one mag with ten more, and it's a polymer frame so weight is not a problem, my old springfield ultra compact (steal on steal) weighted the same empty as my kimber weighted full. i really have no idea why the double stack 1911 never really got popular, but i know a lot of people bought the warthog from para and had problems, and they were steal on steal very heavy gun that had problems with jamming too. the only other double stack 1911 besides for para is charles daly, basically the same as the kimber, poly frame abd ten round mags. but i have not played with a daly made product don't know if they had/have problems.

as you can tell i prefer the 45 round, a lot of people carry poly 40's with no problems, descent guns and hi cap mags.

I prefer to go with lightweight and a BIG hole in the business end plus a spare mag or two. Total reliability is a MUST! SA Micro Compact Loaded.

Weight is never an issue for me. I use Perry Suspenders and all the weight is distributed and pants never sag. My gun belt does not even have to be tight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links