For You Kimber Guys(and Gals)

This is a discussion on For You Kimber Guys(and Gals) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My TLE/RL runs pretty well with its external extractor...HOWEVER, it is a bugger to get back in when you clean it...kind of a three handed ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For You Kimber Guys(and Gals)

My TLE/RL runs pretty well with its external extractor...HOWEVER, it is a bugger to get back in when you clean it...kind of a three handed thing

2. Remove Ads

I have a tactical custom II and after the first 50 rounds have only had one fte. I love the gun. The finish stinks. The finish on the EE was not good brand new and now less than 1 year of owning it the slide is showing wear. I don't carry regularly. I think that it is sad that the finish is showing signs of wear. Should I send it back to Kimber and expect them to fix it.

Forgot to mention that it has an external extractor. Works good on my gun.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 Nut
    I have a tactical custom II and after the first 50 rounds have only had one fte. I love the gun. The finish stinks. The finish on the EE was not good brand new and now less than 1 year of owning it the slide is showing wear. I don't carry regularly. I think that it is sad that the finish is showing signs of wear. Should I send it back to Kimber and expect them to fix it.

Good luck with getting Kimber to fix finish wear.

Carry guns wear, that's what they do. A carry piece is a tool. It's a Kimber, not the best and not the worst, it's just a Kimber. Don't worry about it, holster wear gives a gun (the tool) a classic look.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 Nut
    Kimber's finish has always been on the thin side.. rememeber,,, Bluing is only a coating, and unfortunatly, it's going to wear.
    Your weapon's finish will last longer if you invest in a lined holster.. Just a few bits of info..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

VIP Member
    I've been a Kimber Master Dealer for years, and recommend the 4" stainless pro carry II to students with the Wilson mags and the 22 conversion kit. The alloy frames show no appreciable wear, no EE or IE problems, and no finish phobia. We've had zero FTF & FTE with proper high grip and locked wrist hold with Federal American Eagle 230 FMJ and Premium 230 Hydra Shoks. MIM bubbles will show up right away, but after 500+ rounds, you probably don't have to worry. To the serious practitioners, I recommend the purchase of a twin gun for frequent, but light, use after break in for carry. It's ok to put 5000 rds through the practice gun between springs, and if something goes wrong on the range, who cares.

Kimber won't tell me their reasons (surprise ?) but everything I get now is IE. Kimber service has always been tops for us. Maybe it's just luck, or proper maintenance, but they work for us. BTW...great posts here.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Funny ain't it - externals on 1911 clones have seemingly never been 100%. And yet re something like my SIG's - external is just dandy.

Much I guess has to do with original design criteria but as we know, broadly - JMB new best all the time
    Literally 1000's of rounds through each of my SIG's without 1 FTE (knock on wood)...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links