Looking for next gun, M&P or XD?

This is a discussion on Looking for next gun, M&P or XD? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking (researching) my next weapon that I plan on getting in January to replace my brand new Hi Point (may or may not ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for next gun, M&P or XD?

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

I am looking (researching) my next weapon that I plan on getting in January to replace my brand new Hi Point (may or may not get rid of the C9, but it wont be my primary carry weapon once I can afford better). I am at a toss up between the subcompact XD and the M&P.

I want something that will conceal well so I am looking at the sub compact or compacts, I only have experience with 9mm handguns, and the thought of a .45 or .357 is appealing to me. I know the XD comes with a supply of things, like a holster, mag pouch and such, not sure if the holster is workable for CCW.

I need something that is safe and wont go bang unless I pull the trigger. I have read and read and read about these, I just would like some feedback from those that carry them.

What is the avearge cost for these? I know the place I normally deal with has them on sale for 419.99 for the XD and 429.99 for the M&P after the 50 rebate.

What comes with these guns in the box in way of cap in the mags and stuff. I owned a Glock 19 previously and loved that gun and wonder if either of these can touch it in way of how I felt.

Thoughts please.

My vote goes to the MP. I've shot it, it feels much better in my hands than the XD. Comes with two mags, and you can get two free mags or $50 discount through SW.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Seeing that I own 5 Glocks, I would put that into the mix, also. Just curious why you are not considering it, too.

All three are great guns and you would not go wrong with any of them. Just find one that fits your hand.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I looked at both of those, and then added in a Glock...I went with the Glock.
    As already asked, why not add that into the mix?

Any of the three would be a fine SD partner.

Stay armed...with your final pick...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The only reason I did not add Glock to the list is that it is 100 more than those 2 at this point and need to stay with-in my means. If I find one close in price, I would trade/sell my Hi Point to make up part of the difference. I loved my G17, I got it in 2001 so I think it was a 2nd generation, and I still have some stuff for it (holster/mag pouch). I know the Glocks, I do not know the other 2.

both are good dependable guns..if you get a chance,try both and go from there.I have the m and p 9c and love it.But I'd get an XD in a heartbeat.Had a glock 17,but sold it for the m and p(the glock has a way wider grip.)One thing that sold me on the smith was the exchangable back srtaps for my little girly hands.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Thanks for the replies so far.

One other reason I left Glock off the list is the lack of a safety persay. I do not want a discharge while carrying in the event my trigger gets caught on something. I know some of the M&P models have a saftey and the I know about the XD safety.

Regarding the safety, only the certain M&Ps in .45 have a thumb safety and I believe there is an XD model in .45 that also has a thumb safety. All XDs have the grip safety.

My preference has been for the M&P. I learned how to shoot and started out on a Glock 17 but it didn't suit me. Next was the XD which I absolutely loved and has never let me down. However, one day I had the opportunity to try the M&P on for size and man did it ever fit me like a tailored suit. I currently own a fullsize and compact M&P in 9mm. While there is slight bias in my opinion due to my own preferences, either the Glock, XD, or M&P will serve you well.

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    I do not want a discharge while carrying in the event my trigger gets caught on something.
    Safe gun handling skills and a good holster will eliminate any ND of the Glock. Try a Glock 26.
    NRA Member

After you shoot them both my money says you'll get the M&P.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I've owned and carried Glock, M&P, and most recently XD45's and 9mm's...

All 3 are great guns! My preference is the XD45!
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Take a long look at the XD45 compact. I love mine. Either will serve you well. So see which fits your hand the best and go with it. Also you are right that the holster that comes with the XD is not well suited for concealed carry.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    I am looking (researching) my next weapon that I plan on getting in January to replace my brand new Hi Point (may or may not get rid of the C9 . . . ) . . . I only have experience with 9mm handguns, and the thought of a .45 or .357 is appealing to me.
    I have the XD 40 Subcompact, the XD Compact 45, and other brands, including my Hi-Point C9 9mm which I alway keep.

The XD 40 SC offers a little more power in the same sized frame and weight as the XD-9 Subcompact. Take a look at that.

I also like the Glock, but never felt comfortable without a safety of any kind, especially for concealed carry. On the other hand I find some comfort in XD's grip safety which in effect requires a force from opposite directions to fire.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I have the XD45 Service model. I love it and wouldnt trade it for ten Glocks or M&P's.

However, my brother has the M&P 45 and loves it. I have buddies that love their Glocks.

My honest opinion is that the XD is more comfortable and is safer if you are buying a handgunwith no thumb safety. If you do choose thumb safety then each one should be chosen by how well it feels in your hand and how well you shoot it.

Another good choice is the XD40 Sub compact. It comes with both short and extended magazine and converts from sub compact to compact with a simple mag swap. It can also be converted easily to shoot 9mm.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Just to let you know you can buy an XD9sc and then buy .40 sub compact clips for them and with just a little tweaking with pliers you can have like three or for more rounds in your mag. I was reading up on that at XDtalk.com. I think it boosts you up to 13 or 14 + 1 while still being the subcompact.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links