Trouble with magazine release

Trouble with magazine release

This is a discussion on Trouble with magazine release within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, Recently, I noticed that I have real trouble pressing the magazine release with my shooting hand. By the way, I am beginner and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble with magazine release

Question Trouble with magazine release

Hey everyone,

Recently, I noticed that I have real trouble pressing the magazine release with my shooting hand. By the way, I am beginner and my EDC is a Glock 23. I have to shift my hand around the grip of the gun to release the magazine. For whatever reason, I guess I did not noticed this when I made the purchase.

I am assuming that I simply purchased a gun where the grip is too large for my hand. I am able to press the magazine release button but am not able to get enough force to release the magazine. This applies to both empty and full magazines.

So, I am trying to decide whether this is an issue that should be resolved with an extended magazine release, or whether I should start looking for a slimmer replacement, such as a Walther PPS for example.

Thanks.

los
    So the issue is,.... that your thumb cannot reach the Mag Release while gripping your Glock ?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Not really. I can reach the button. I just can't seem to get enough leverage with my thumb to activate the release if holding it properly. I didn't know if that means that the gun is too big for my hand, in the typical sense, or that if due to, lets say the way my thumb is shaped (cause everyone is slightly different) that my thumb just is not capable of applying the necessary force. So I am trying to determine what the proper remedy is, such an extended magazine release, more forearm exercises, or potentially a different firearm.

los
    Copy That and Thanks for the clarification.

I've never owned a Glock but I'll speculate and tell you that the G23 Mag Release just has to be oiled/lubed and manipulated a bit. Just drop a little oil down into the button and depress it a few times. Do this with and without inserting a Mag. Eventually, it'll loosen up to the point that less force will have to be applied for proper mag release.

And of course, please make sure your G23 is unloaded when you're doing the process.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Are you having trouble with a fully load mag or an empty one? Fully loaded are a little tighter fit so take a bit more pressure to release. I have found that I have better control using my left hand for releasing magazines on my pistols. When it is time for a reload I just slide my left thumb to the release, push the button and mag falls free as I am reaching for my new fresh mag.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    los no offense but I would stay away from oiling the mag release on a Glock. It will collect dust and become gummed up and not function as designed.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

los
    Quote Originally Posted by fotomaker57 View Post
    los no offense but I would stay away from oiling the mag release on a Glock. It will collect dust and become gummed up and not function as designed.
    Mike
    None taken, Mike.

As stated from the get-go, I've never owned a Glock so excuse my ignorance. I didn't think that a little lubrication on the mag release on a Glock would be a recipe for foreseeable malfunctioning issues.

Thanks for the clarification.

movingshrub, please disregard my recommendation(s). Good luck. I hope you find a solution to your problem.

-Jimmy

I think you can develop the dexterity to handle the button with time. Keep working at it and you will soon be able to push that button with the necessary pressure.
    Muscle memory and thumb strength will develop with practice...I'm sure of it.

Stay armed...practice...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

until then push it with your support hand finger
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    until then push it with your support hand finger
    I'd recommend pushing the mag release for now with your support hand thumb actually. For the time being. You can get a factory Glock extended mag release, but depending on how you carry, it may or may not interfere with your holster or your body. Start working your mag release with your empty pistol any time you think about it. No magazine...just keep working the mag release. It's not a spring, it's a simple thin piece of metal that is just a bit longer than the space it fits into. Here's something else I'd like you to try, and you'll need to try and visualize this. To make your thumb a bit stronger while pushing the mag release, draw your strong hand index (trigger finger) back, curling it up to where your index finger finger nail and first knuckle is now pressing in on the opposite side of the grip in that small divot of the pistol grip and mag well. This will naturally push that side of the pistol toward your opposing thumb and give some added resistance for that thumb push. I don't think you'll need to rearrange your grip or point your pistol in an unsafe direction while doing this. Make some good habits with your Glock pistol. There are more options short of getting a different pistol. I'm a firm beleiver in working with what you've got until you've exhausted all possibilities. Good luck with it all.

I am a right handed shooter I cant the gun slight left to make the depression alot easier. Gun loaded=Bad

VIP Member
    It isn't an issue to have to shift the weapon in your hand to press the magazine release, lots of people have to. Just integrate that little "shift" in to your magazine change and malfunction drills. It will become an automatic part of your gun handling very quickly. I have to do the same with my 1911's.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

When firing with two hands on a Glock (not a 1911), I always use my left thumb to release the mag on the way down to grab the next one. It's right there, and has way more strength. Take advantage of it!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

On my Glock 23, if you have a tight grip on the grip and try to push the mag release it's hard to release. On the opposite side of grip is a flat area that moves along with the release button. If I put my finger there and hit the release, the mag stays in.

Try moving your grip hand a little bit and try again
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

I would just keep practicing. You will develop the strength and dexterity. If you'd like, include some forearm or grip strenghtening exercises.

As stated, DO NOT put oil anywhere near your mag catch. I also do not believe that you need the larger mag catch. It is actually the mag catch used in the .45 ACP models which sticks out further in the 23.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links