Cylinder and Slide Adventurer...

This is a discussion on Cylinder and Slide Adventurer... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone carry /shoot one? I've held a steel .45acp version at a gun store which was helpful to get the feel of it. I liked ...

Anyone carry /shoot one? I've held a steel .45acp version at a gun store which was helpful to get the feel of it. I liked it. My Defender is currently my smallest 1911 and I'm contemplating going one step further and getting an adventurer. They will make them with aluminum frames as well and even offer a 9mm. I would probably stay with an aluminum frame but would like to hear feedback from someone having experience with the pistol.

I believe they may even chop a Defender frame for you but the guy that does the work is only there certain hours and it's not when I've called.

They have a Ti one(9mm) for sale on their site. Looks pretty cool, but pricey.
    ben

I have one with a titanium frame and I enjoy shooting/carrying it greatly.

Bleeding-heart reporter: “Do you feel that violence begets violence?”
    Jeff Cooper: “It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

NYCMedic: That looks like a keeper! Very cool.

Is yours in .45ACP?

Do you ever have issues using magazines that hold six or greater rounds (if you have tried that)? My Defender doesn't
    like longer mags but my CCO does, so, thought I'd ask.

Last question; Is the recoil spring or spring assembly common to another make / model (i.e.: Colt Defender etc.) or do you have to get it from Cylinder and Slide?

Thank you for the info.

It is chambered in 45 and I prefer to use the small mags that were made for it. I do use a variety of 7 and 8 round mags with it at the range, but I wouldn't carry it with them. I have considered having a full sized mag modified to use as a spare. I want to have a metal notch that prevents the mag from being over inserted (like on a 10 round mag) so that it will contact the bottom of the adventurer's front-strap.
    You can get the entire spring assembly and replacement recoil springs from C&S. I would guess that you could also cut down a full length spring, but I leave that to the professionals. Besides, the springs are only a few dollars each.
    Here is a shot of its holster/ mag carriers.
    Bleeding-heart reporter: “Do you feel that violence begets violence?”
    Jeff Cooper: “It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

Thank you again, that is what I needed to know and is very helpful.

I think I would go the same route on only carrying the small mags and possibly modifying a couple of larger ones. I currently go back and forth carrying my Defender with all six round mags or my Walther .40cal PPS (more often due to carry-ability) with a flush mount five rounder and six round spares all OWB and my Rohrbaugh R9 in the front pocket. I would like to eventually get an Adventurer not only because 1911s are my favorite but because of the practicality of always carrying a common type primary weapon that is what you normally train with. Hard to beat my PPS for the money but 1911s rule my herd and an Adventurer would be the icing on the cake.

I see C&S doesn't offer the aluminum frame choice on their website anymore. I could swear they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by PShooter View Post
    Thank you again, that is what I needed to know and is very helpful.

I think I would go the same route on only carrying the small mags and possibly modifying a couple of larger ones. I currently go back and forth carrying my Defender with all six round mags or my Walther .40cal PPS (more often due to carry-ability) with a flush mount five rounder and six round spares all OWB and my Rohrbaugh R9 in the front pocket. I would like to eventually get an Adventurer not only because 1911s are my favorite but because of the practicality of always carrying a common type primary weapon that is what you normally train with. Hard to beat my PPS for the money but 1911s rule my herd and an Adventurer would be the icing on the cake.

I see C&S doesn't offer the aluminum frame choice on their website anymore. I could swear they used to.
    I believe you are correct on this. I was looking to go the Adventurer route last year and talked to Bill Laughridge of C&S a number of times. He mentioned that the titanium and aluminum frames were not offered any longer due to the availability of material in the frames he sources. I ended up going the route of having C&S make me a 1911 CCO (Officer Frame/Commander Slide). The slide length is really never an issue on the 1911 for me when it comes to concealment. The Officers size grip makes this slim single stack virtually disappear. I use 7 round mags in mine - both the C&S and Tripp.

Administrator
    Incredibly perfect concealed carry firearm & I love Titanium.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCMedic View Post
    I have one with a titanium frame and I enjoy shooting/carrying it greatly.

That looks really nice!
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

JrHawk: That must be a nice CCO you have. C&S does some nice work.

I looked into having a CCO built but got lucky and found a like new Colt first.

I like it...
    Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeros everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.

Links