CT grips?

This is a discussion on CT grips? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm interested in the new lg-111 defender series grips for my SP101 but have what might seem like a silly question. How long do the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CT grips?

CT grips?

I'm interested in the new lg-111 defender series grips for my SP101 but have what might seem like a silly question. How long do the batteries on these things lasts? I notice that they include 2 batteries with the set of grips,do these one of both batteries?

Also what kind of batteries are these? Are proprietary i.e. has to bought only from crimson trace? Or can replacement batteries be bought anywhere? Last thing is for owners of the LG-111 grips how do they handle the recoil of the SP101 compared to the hogue monogrip I have on it now? Do these grips absorb recoil well even when shooting .357 magnum through this little gun? thanks for any help.

2. Remove Ads

First the disclaimer, I have them on a j-frame. I don't believe the defender series is going to do anything for recoil as they are hard material, in fact compared to Hogue you will go backwards. The batteries (they claim) are good for 4 hours of use and yes it takes both of them. If you buy now CT will send you 1 set of batteries per year, even if you have to buy they are only a buck a piece. Availability I don't know, my gun shop always has them. When I got mine I sent the registration in right away and had a second set of batteries in about 2 weeks.

do the batteries wear down with the master on switch on? if you are not pushing the button on the grip to actually "light" the laser?

I mean, If you switch the grip to on before you put it in your pocket to carry all day, does the batteries wear down in your pocket?

Im thinking about adding them to my Jframe also
    <><><><><>
    Grass Roots North Carolina
    <><><><><>
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I agree with jimbo; if you purchase the defender series you may experience some serious recoil thumping, 'cause they are made of hard plastic. The other disadvantage is that it comes on everytime you grip the gun. If you can spring for the extra $$$ for the LG-303 model, it is more advanced and made of rubber to absorb recoil. It also has an on/off switch which means if you spend a day at the range, and practice with your irons, you can without wearing down the batteries.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernZ71 View Post
    do the batteries wear down with the master on switch on? if you are not pushing the button on the grip to actually "light" the laser?

I mean, If you switch the grip to on before you put it in your pocket to carry all day, does the batteries wear down in your pocket?

No ... the batteries only use juice when the activation button is depressed. I've had my batteries last for almost a year in my Kimber. You can tell when they get old, the laser dot starts to fade after the button is depressed.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

JRI
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernZ71 View Post

There is no draw on the batteries unless you depress the switch to light the laser. The master switch is only to give you the option of disconnecting the laser from the switch when you grip the weapon.

After the first set the batteries should easily last a year of normal use and can be bought anywhere. I say after the first set because you're going to run down that first set pointing that red dot at the walls, floor or any number of things just because it is a new toy and you want to play with it. :)

freedomofchoice so the LG-303's are the better of the two at absorbing recoil then?

me
    I love mine which are on an M&P... The take commercially available batteries and mine has had the same set of batteries since Christmas and I expect that it still will when I go home this Christmas.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by JRI View Post
    There is no draw on the batteries unless you depress the switch to light the laser. The master switch is only to give you the option of disconnecting the laser from the switch when you grip the weapon.

After the first set the batteries should easily last a year of normal use and can be bought anywhere. I say after the first set because you're going to run down that first set pointing that red dot at the walls, floor or any number of things just because it is a new toy and you want to play with it. :)
    You can also switch the laser off so that the switch is not depressed at all...the batteries should last you a very long time.

Just have an extra set in your gun bag.

Stay armed...lasers work a looooong time...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

freedomofchoice so the LG-303's are the better of the two at absorbing recoil then?

Yes this is true. The defender series is bottom of the line hard plastic. The 303 are rubber with a full hand grip and a master on and off switch. I'm still running my first set of batteries even after sighting in, practice, pointing at walls, screwing with cat etc. I stuck with the defender because I wanted to keep the package small for deep conceal, formal wear and pocket carry. FYI, in my opinion you have the most recoil friendly grip ever made.

Jim

I put a set of the defenders on my S&W 360 and, as stated above, the book says they should last for 4hrs of use. I read an interesting suggestion the other day - replace the batteries annually when you replace your smoke alarm batteries then you never have to worry about it.

I hadn't seen it answered directly so I thought I'd chime in and say, last I looked at CT literature, they were still using CR2032 button batteries. Very common and used in a lot of stuff around our house. A couple years ago I bought a box of 50 for $20 on eBay for our electronic dog collars, and we still have a bunch left (since we have a real fence now and don't use the collars anymore). They cost about $3 a pair at Wal-Mart I think. As someone else said, for a "limited time" CT is offering free batteries for life, though it appears to be limited to one set per year.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

jimbo2 so you feel the hogue is the best at recoil absorbing and that the LG-303's won't do as good a job at this? Also Do the LG-303's allow the gun to fit in regular holsters like the Kramer pocket holster I have on order? Thank you guys for all the help so far.

Quote Originally Posted by JRI View Post

Where is the best/Cheapest place to buy CTGrips for a Jframe 642?

BTW>> I have alot of lasers, some that can be seen for MANY MANY MANY miles I bought in China. Green Red etc.. You cant tell me anything about playing with them lol. I just wasnt sure if the master switch would drain the battery or not, Didnt figure it would but wanted to ask.
    <><><><><>
    Grass Roots North Carolina
    <><><><><>
    NRA Life Member

I have the Defenders on my S&W 442 and I like them.
    I pocket carry so the defenders were a better choice for me. The polymer grip is smaller and smoother but still has some give to it.

It slips in and out of the pocket very easily and hides well.
    I do not find the recoil a problem. I shoot the Gold Dot short barrel loads and they are pretty stout. If I want to shoot a lot I just load some milder loads.

My defenders do not have a master switch and the laser is on anytime you firmly grip the pistol. I can control the on/off with my grip with no problems.
    I have had mine for 18 months and have had the laser on a lot and the batteries are going strong.
    Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links