CT Laser Grips on Glocks?

This is a discussion on CT Laser Grips on Glocks? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Glock 23 and I've been thinking about adding CT grips to it. Does anyone here have any experience, good or bad, with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CT Laser Grips on Glocks?

CT Laser Grips on Glocks?

I carry a Glock 23 and I've been thinking about adding CT grips to it. Does anyone here have any experience, good or bad, with CT grips on Glocks? A couple of specific concerns are how much the CT grips change the comfort of the grip and how they affect the ability to conceal the gun.

Thanks in advance for all your insight.
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I'm surprised more people don't use the Lasermax lasers over the Crimson Trace grips. My experience with the LM in my G26 has been very positive, except for the fact that my Galco holster switches the laser on when the gun is in it

It works just fine in the MTAC, though.

LM doesn't increase the size of the gun at all, is always correctly sighted, and the spring components are built to higher standards than stock Glock springs. My G26 has taken thousands of rounds with the LM with no problems.

Edit: Oh, and hello to you in the other, better Arlington
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I bought a set of crimson trace grips for my G19. I love them. Very simple to use. If you buy from shooters resource.com they're about 30-50 bucks cheaper and he gives great service.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I just put a set on my Glock 30, which is my nightstand gun. I wish they made a set for the Glock-36 which is my main carry, but right now they don't. I wrote to them about a future model for the 36 and all he could tell me is that the design engineers are very secretive about disclosing new items, but he did say they were launching new designs and models in January.

I also asked him about the new Sabre by Lasermax for the Glock. It has some advantages and it's not so bulky, and he repeated that he thought that a competitive model was in the works.

As for Lasermax...I have read that several police departments have dropped them after suffering catastrophic failures where the gun becomes inopperative due to the recoil spring breakage.

The CT's add considerable bulk to the grip (which is already too fat for many shooters) and the laser module hanging off the right side sticks out way too far.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    The CT's add considerable bulk to the grip (which is already too fat for many shooters) and the laser module hanging off the right side sticks out way too far.
    I agree. Plus generally I don't like using lasers. It would have most people looking at the red dot and not the sights which can be off POI. Also, when you index your finger down the slide and turn on the laser your finger will be in the way of the beam.

I added laser grips to my wife's S&W 637...I'd never use them.
    I see no need for laser grips on my Glock...OMO
    Not needed...doesn't improve instant reactions...false sense of security...IMHO.

Stay safe...no lasers...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't like lasers, no matter the gun. But the Crimson Trace models are WAY more bulky on the Glocks than the versions that replace the grips.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I bought a CT grip laser for my G19 when they first became available. I've installed & removed it several times. It's not a bulk or reliability issue, (both are completely acceptable) I just catch myself too often in practice expecting to see that dot, rather than watching & using my sights. My personal issue is...do I want to repeatedly train myself to rely on an optional device that has a higher potential of failure than does my tried-and-true (no switch, no battery) fixed sights? I've read all the professional opinions, I've practiced both ways, and I STILL haven't completely made up my mind.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

lasers are an expensive cat toy for mall s

Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ASSA9 View Post
    lasers are an expensive cat toy for mall s

As long as you don't rely on it, it can't hurt to have it. You never know.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I can see the benefit of a laser for someone older with poorer eyesight. Generally though I tell people to use the regular sites.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Senior Moderator
    Here are some interesting things you can do with a laser:

You are down and can't use the sights...

You can sight the gun without bringing it up to eye level

You can sight the gun without disclosing it

I think we need to be careful not to throw out the tool, because it could be used improperly. I realize they are a manufacturer of laser sights, but isn't it CR that on their website talks about the hit ratio of officers being about 20% with iron sights and departments with lasers sights have a hit ratio of about 90%?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Here are some interesting things you can do with a laser:

You are down and can't use the sights...

You can sight the gun without bringing it up to eye level

You can sight the gun without disclosing it

I think we need to be careful not to throw out the tool, because it could be used improperly. I realize they are a manufacturer of laser sights, but isn't it CR that on their website talks about the hit ratio of officers being about 20% with iron sights and departments with lasers sights have a hit ratio of about 90%?
    That could also be a department with proper training and qualification vs one who doesn't have adequate firearm training due to cost etc.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

IMO a stock Glock grip is bad enough the CT's make it worse. I had a T&E LM for my G27 and I alternately shut it off with my thumbs forward grip or my trigger finger. Just didn't like either.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links