Beretta 92FS questions

This is a discussion on Beretta 92FS questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm picking up a 92FS pretty soon here, and I have a few questions about it for the smart gun guys here at DC. 1. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92FS questions

Beretta 92FS questions

I'm picking up a 92FS pretty soon here, and I have a few questions about it for the smart gun guys here at DC.

1. The Beretta's grip angle is drastically different from my Glocks....when I pick it up and sight it, the muzzle is initially so low that I can't even see the front sight. Is this somthing that can be overcome with training? I shoot an occasional IDPA match, and I do a fair amount of practice drawing and dry firing.

2. Can I dry fire it, or will I need snap caps?

3. I have heard people mention that the DA/SA autos can be carried off-safe with the hammer down. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

4. Is it true that the 92s like to run 'wet'? Should I be thinking about gun grease?

Thanks in advance!
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

2. Remove Ads

I bought a Beretta 92FS in 2000. Couple hundred rounds down range, and I knew I couldn't keep it. One of the things that have made me stick with Glock for the most part all these years. We all make mistakes. Good luck.

Glocks/Berettas?
    Kimbers/Glocks?

I have two EDC's...a Kimber Ultra for 85% of the time, and a Glock-36 on my Harley. Each is a unique, but quality firearm. Each has a different grip angle. I can adjust...muscle memory introduced...to the firearm when it is picked up. Maybe it's just me...but shooting/training is focused on both firearms...either could function in an emergecy situation.

Stay armed...muscle memory is important...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

1. Wondering why you don't just pick up a G19 to ad to your collection if you are worried about not being accurate with a 92 and you seem to be a Glock fan. Although I am a sucker for anything Italian, so understand...lol.

2. Beretta recomends against dry-firing. An increased chance of firing pin breakage is why the manual recommends against it.

3. Yes, thats the way I carry any DA/SA with a firig pin block, which the 92 has.

4. I am not a fan of overlubing a firearm. My 92fs probally has about 3000 through it. I have only had one issue and that was with poor quality ammunition, so I don't blame the gun.

All in all they are a great value, and a very soft shooting high capacity 9mm. Plus they are not fugly like Glocks

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    The grip angle on Glocks is different from not only the Beretta, but most other guns. The Beretta is a fine gun, and practice should handle the difference. Now, if you judt can't seem to make the adjustment, or just don't want to, then you may want to stick with the Glock.

I have no experience with Glocks for comparison but I do not have the problem with my Beretta that you have described, in fact, it is a very accurate shooter. As for dry firing the Beretta, not recommended. As for 92s liking to run wet, I haven't heard that. Mine gets the same lubrication as my other autoloaders without problems. I love the 92. Mine is the Brigadier.

Yeah, the Glock grip angle is different than almost anything else -- it's the exception, not the rule. ;) But with practice you should be able to adapt. I've owned 1911's nearly all of my life, and had fired Glocks only a very few times over the years. I just recently picked up my first Glock, a G26. The first few times I drew and aimed it instinctively, it pointed high. But since I always attempt to acquire a proper sight picture, after a few mags I was comfortable with the adjustment.

Unless you just want to branch out and try other things -- and there's nothing wrong with that -- if you're concerned about adjusting then I would concur with others and suggest a G19, since you're familiar with Glocks. It would nicely round out your Glock collection and give you high-cap in a reasonably compact platform. That 92FS is going to be much heaver and probably harder to conceal, if that is your intention.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II • Colt Combat Commander • Glock 26 GNS • Ruger Mark III 22/45 • Kahr CW9 (sold)

1. Yes the grip angle is different but it can be overcome. I shoot 100% Glocks in USPSA matches but use my 92F for IDPA five or six times a year with no problems. Just need to practice with both enough so that a short 5 minute dryfire routine will get you tuned in for which ever gun you are using.

2. I do not beleive there is anything wrong with dryfiring this gun. I have maybe 10,000 trigger pulls in the past 12 months and have not had a problem with anything breaking.

3. This is not a carry gun for me as it sits by the bedside or goes to matches so I have never tried this. Still think I would carry with the safety engaged though, it is on there for a reason and it will not add any time to your draw with enough dry fire.

4.I would not do this. At least with my gun, with the normal amount of lube it runs 100% of the time. Especially with a carry gun you do not want to have a lot of grease for grit and dirt to stick to. That might cause some issues when you do not want it to.

Bottom line, it is a great gun. Hope you enjoy the new purchase.

Beretta 92 is a cool piece of tradition/ history, but I feel it is dated. I had one in my collection but sold it a few years back. I just didn't find it practical. It was huge....I was never going to carry it....and after getting used to glocks and other striker fired type pistols I became disenfranchised with the sa/da decocker setup. Just my opinions from my own experiences. But I digress...

I would feel safe with the gun decocked and 1 in the tube, but not hammer down with the firing pin engaged.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Schwebel View Post
    1. Wondering why you don't just pick up a G19 to ad to your collection if you are worried about not being accurate with a 92 and you seem to be a Glock fan. Although I am a sucker for anything Italian, so understand...lol.

2. Beretta recomends against dry-firing. An increased chance of firing pin breakage is why the manual recommends against it.

3. Yes, thats the way I carry any DA/SA with a firig pin block, which the 92 has.

4. I am not a fan of overlubing a firearm. My 92fs probally has about 3000 through it. I have only had one issue and that was with poor quality ammunition, so I don't blame the gun.

All in all they are a great value, and a very soft shooting high capacity 9mm. Plus they are not fugly like Glocks

Glocks are not "fugly"....they are "special" looking.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

CDH
    Quote Originally Posted by WJP9 View Post
    Beretta 92 is a cool piece of tradition/ history, but I feel it is dated.
    +1
    I have a Centurion* I bought brand new that I'll probably never sell, but for daily carry, there's lot's of others I prefer over the Beretta.

* For those not familiar, the Centurion is a 92FS but without the extra barrel sticking out the front. The end of the muzzle looks more like a 1911.

Thanks for the responses guys. I have always wanted a 92FS; I realize it's totally different than my Glock, but I'm willing to put the time into it, and the size and weight aren't much of an issue (my EDC is a G21).

My uncle has an older PT92 that likes to run wet, and I heard it had something to do with the two different types of metal the gun is made from that cause it to bind, or something to that effect.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I bought a Beretta 92FS in 2000. Couple hundred rounds down range, and I knew I couldn't keep it. One of the things that have made me stick with Glock for the most part all these years. We all make mistakes. Good luck.
    Can I ask what it was about the gun that gave you so much trouble? I respect your opinion, and I'm certainly not giving up on Glocks
    G17, G26

Quote Originally Posted by packin45 View Post
    I'm picking up a 92FS pretty soon here, and I have a few questions about it for the smart gun guys here at DC.

1. The Beretta's grip angle is drastically different from my Glocks....when I pick it up and sight it, the muzzle is initially so low that I can't even see the front sight. Is this somthing that can be overcome with training? I shoot an occasional IDPA match, and I do a fair amount of practice drawing and dry firing.

2. Can I dry fire it, or will I need snap caps?

3. I have heard people mention that the DA/SA autos can be carried off-safe with the hammer down. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

4. Is it true that the 92s like to run 'wet'? Should I be thinking about gun grease?

Thanks in advance!
    1. I never noticed the difference between G27 and Beretta myself, so I would guess it could be easily overcome with practice.

2. Dry fire is OK. Military M9s are probably dry fired more than they are with ammo in them.

3. That's the way I carry mine in the real, non military world. To me the safety is for handing the gun over and for when in SA mode when not ready to fire the gun immediately. With the trigger in the forward position, the firing pin block will keep any hammer strike from reaching the primer. The double action pull of trigger will keep just about anything accidental from pulling the trigger all the way back. The safety may only take a split second to move, but what if you forget the safety?

4. I like to keep mine relatively wet. Just so the metal to metal surfaces glisten with lube but don't drip. I would stay away from grease, and use a light oil like CLP.

My dad does not like the way a Glock feels, so he has an M9 and a 92FS
    He use to always carry a SP101 357 Ruger, when he worked for the Sheriff’s department, but now that he is 88 years old he feels more conferrable with a high capacity auto loader and the Beretta’s are his choice.

He no longer goes to the range, so cleaning is not an issue.

But when I visit I field strip them once a year for him, and give them a good cleaning, and I don’t do anything different than I do for my Glock’s.

Which is after wiping them down with Hopkins cleaning solution, I then wipe them down with a very lightly amount of Remington oil with Teflon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links